PDA

View Full Version : LMS Carbine I, Casa Grande, AZ, March 1-2

yasnevo
02-21-08, 21:27
LMS Defense Carbine 1

Dates: March 1-2, 2008

Instructor: Yancey Harrington and others

Price: $400.00

The LMS Defense's Carbine I course will teach marksmanship fundamentals, combat stress management, rifle zero, rifle manipulation, movement, use of cover, fighting from unusual positions, ground gun fighting, an introduction to team tactics, gear selection and on going self-training tools. This fast paced, challenging course will enable you to intelligently integrate the rifle into your arsenal of options; helping you remain the Last Man Standing.

Equipment Needed:
Carbine and 4 magazines
1000 rounds of rifle ammunition
Sling
Handgun and 3 magazines
300 rounds of handgun ammunition
Holster and magazine pouches
Cover garment if you regularly carry your weapon concealed
Pen and notebook
Hat or other head covering
Gloves
Knee and elbow pads
Eye and ear protection
Sunscreen or raingear (as applicable)
Adequate personal water supply
Sack lunch and snack food (We do not leave the range for lunch)
Recommended: Please bring the gear you will have with your rifle in a fight, ie: tactical vest, duty belt, bug out rig, patrol rifle bag, etc.

Duration: 2 days

Prerequisites: None.

To Register for this course: http://www.lmsdefense.com/lms/home/register/134

yasnevo
03-03-08, 10:26
Thank you to those of you that took the time to come to the Carbine I class this weekend. I felt that it was an awesome class and those of you that chose to come took about allot of personalized attention and skills sets that you didn't have when you showed up.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd278/yasnevo/CarbineICasaGrandeMarch2008031.jpg
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd278/yasnevo/CarbineICasaGrandeMarch2008024.jpg
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd278/yasnevo/CarbineICasaGrandeMarch2008014.jpg
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd278/yasnevo/CarbineICasaGrandeMarch2008010.jpg
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd278/yasnevo/CarbineICasaGrandeMarch2008040.jpg
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd278/yasnevo/YBH-MP5.jpg

I also feel that the new class format is a terrific one and we will for sure use it and continue to improve it in the future classes.

Oh, and steel, hells yeahs! We will be using steel allot more in the future.

Thanks again.

Y-

-gary
03-03-08, 11:16
I really wanted to be there, but just couldn't swing the money this time. Hopefully next year will work out better. Too bad you don't run a fall class in AZ since I really don't want to drive to Vegas.

yasnevo
03-03-08, 11:41
We run classes in the fall all the time in Arizona.

Y-

-gary
03-03-08, 11:53
Carbine 1 or 2? Last time I checked the schedule on the web site (30 seconds ago), there was none.

yasnevo
03-03-08, 12:16
Yes, you are correct, there is not a class up there now.
However, the wonders of computers and software allow us
to post classes all the time :)

We will get some up soon for the fall.

Thanks for your interest and hope to see you in class soon.

Y-

Papa Wheelie
03-05-08, 19:53
AAR - LMS Defense Carbine 1, Casa Grande, AZ March 1-2

Let me start off by saying I was not sure what I would gain by attending this class. I did not know if it would offer more information than I could retain or, on the other hand, be too basic and I would be bored. At the conclusion of the class, I was very impressed.

First, this class was taught by two instructors, Yancey and Chris. Each brought his own twist and experiences to the use of a carbine. Their combination of both military and law enforcement backgrounds gave good insight and real world knowledge to the curriculum.

The students that attended this class were are also a pleasure to work with. The skill level ranged from little carbine experience to some decent shooters. Each of the students were quick to lend a hand, offer spare parts or lube, and even loan out their spare lower.

The class started out with the basics: the four rules of gun safety, emergency medical evac, an overview of the AR and AK weapon systems, and the fundamentals of marksmanship. From here, we moved onto the basics of operating the carbine. The instructors would explain and demonstrate different skillsets and then the students would practice drills. We would take breaks and discuss what we had learned and take the time to go over any questions or comments the students had.

Once the instructors determined the students had the necessary building blocks to safely operate their carbines, we moved on to more advanced weapon manipulations. The class covered tactical reloads, pistol transitions, target transitions, NSRs, malfunction drills, long range shooting, and different shooting positions. Again, once the instructors were confident in the abilities of the students, they proceeded to more complex operations. For me, this is where the class got spicy. We covered shooting on the move, multiple target tactics, and use of cover. The use of target steel for some of the drills allowed for instant feedback and was a real hit with the students.

This class moved at a decent pace. Topics were covered slow enough for the students to get a good grasp on them but fast enough to not lose anyone to boredom. Again, I would like to mention how much I appreciated the difference in the instructors backgrounds. Each seemed to compliment the other. The stories and realworld experiences gave credibility to the curriculum and left the students feeling more confident with the operation of the carbine in dynamic situations. I look forward to attending Carbine 2 and I will make it a point to attend Carbine 1 annually to knock off the rust and catch any bad habits that might form.

markm
03-05-08, 20:22
I see Carbine 2 info posted on TOS in the AZ forum. I'm interested if I can swing the tuition.

What is the philosophy of the instruction as far as Irons vs. Aimpoints/red dots?

(I see an un-opticed AK in the photos, which makes me optimistic that the class isn't an Aimpoint sales promotion)

yasnevo
03-09-08, 00:51
the object is hitting the target...
if you can do it with optics, great.
If you can do it with irons...good.

The object, again, is hitting the target.

markm
03-10-08, 09:08
I hope that post didn't come off as too pissy.

Anyway... the description mentioned shooting from the usual distances out to 400 yards. Does the CG range accomodate those distances? (I haven't been out there in a few years)

yasnevo
03-11-08, 00:59

You didn't really...

The range that we are going to use will have that distance. I doubt you have been to this range that we are using.

markm
03-11-08, 08:22
Nice. This class sounds good.

John Chapman
03-11-08, 15:03

Not at all, to me. We encourage questions.

Our philosophy is every shot counts. We recommend folks learn on their iron sights FIRST. Once they have that skill down, we encourage the use of red dots because they help with accurate, fast hits from unusual positions.