PDA

View Full Version : Marine stuck in Mexican Prison Over Inane Mexican Gun Law

Cincinnatus
12-12-12, 20:45
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ex-marine-jailed-mexico-antique-gun-article-1.1218358

Sensei
12-12-12, 21:19
Yet another reason why I avoid that shithole of a country like the plague.

Denali
12-12-12, 21:28
I'm awfully curious how US customs managed to wave him through, you can end up in this young mans exact circumstance with no more then a few rounds of .22LR ammo...

Iraqgunz
12-12-12, 21:46
If you travel to Mexico with ANYTHING that is a firearm unless you are 150% sure it has been cleared then you are an idiot.

I don't mean cleared by someone on this side, I mean someone over there who does guided hunts, etc....

AKDoug
12-12-12, 23:05
I've never been to Mexico, but I go to Canada quite often. Not once have I checked in with U.S. Customs before proceeding to Canada. You stop at Canadian customs on the way in, the U.S. Customs on the way back to the U.S. Is it different at the Mexican border? I would never dream of asking U.S. Customs if something was o.k. in Canada or Mexico, I would contact them directly.

I have always been disappointed at the U.S. response to citizen requests for assistance, especially considering how much money we spend to prop up many nation's governments.

skullworks
12-13-12, 06:37
If you travel to Mexico with ANYTHING that is a firearm unless you are 150% sure it has been cleared then you are an idiot.

I don't mean cleared by someone on this side, I mean someone over there who does guided hunts, etc....
Agreed! Inane or not (by U.S. standards), it's their laws.

The_War_Wagon
12-13-12, 07:23
Wait, wait, wait...

You mean, after running, jumping, or swimming across the border, he wasn't immediately given free welfare, healthcare, & foodstamps, and Mexico didn't change all their road signs to English for him?!?!? :o

skullworks
12-13-12, 07:57
Nope, apparently the Mexicans run a tighter ship. :jester:

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-13-12, 08:23
Agreed! Inane or not (by U.S. standards), it's their laws.

Oh, you funny Swedes!!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Mexicans, national sovereignty, rule of law.... that's a good one!

maximus83
12-13-12, 11:32

Couldn't agree more. You've always got to check the local laws at the source. And sometimes even the individuals "at the source"--like a LEO--do not give totally accurate information for their own area. I've observed this in WA state. Even when I drive over the border into another US state, I always check the CCW and related laws online on the state's own website rather than relying on somebody else's summary of their laws. Going into another country, I'd be even more paranoid.

I hope this guy gets out of this thing ok. He made a mistake but otherwise sounds like a good guy, and being in prison with Mexican cartel members sounds like a nightmare.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
12-13-12, 11:41
Its no wonder that the US Military essentially forbids servicemembers from going to Mexico. What an utter shithole.

polydeuces
12-13-12, 12:48
I'll be contacting every Florida politician in national politics I know of to get their ass in gear and get him out of that shit-hole.
You all should do so as well.

Every time I've gone to that sorry excuse of a country something bad happened. No amount of good scuba makes up for it - I now avoid it like a bad disease and encourage all to do the same.

Kokopelli
12-13-12, 13:05
I avoid it as well.. I've lost nothing there that I need to go back for.. Even the 100 mile buffer on this side is getting touch and go.. Ron

12-13-12, 13:15
**** that. I live about 6 hours north of Mexico and I know damn well not to bring ANYTHING gun related across the border.. don't care what anyone says. You're gonna get all kinds of burritos shoved up your ass in prison.

Irish
12-13-12, 17:43
It's a good thing we don't lock people up for stupid shit in this country... "Ignorance of the law is no excuse..." has probably shot out of the mouth of quite a few M4C members to citizens of their own country.

Artos
12-13-12, 20:09

I've been to the plant several times this week and agree...there are HUGE signs about no firearms or ammo right before the POE, so you really have to be ignorant to miss the rules or think you will get an exception. The bridge he crossed has this sign. This has been news down here and I do not buy that US customs told him it was OK?? THAT does not jive.

I do wish Mex would use more discression though...a hundred year old .410 sears gun was not malicious. Especially compared to what we did with fast and furious. I do hope he gets cleared soon.

I've crossed shotguns in years past to go dove hunting and there is a specific pricess...you register the firearm with make, model s/n before you bring it. It cannot cross the rio until you get your permit. US customs or whoever he talked to should know this.

NWPilgrim
12-13-12, 22:13
Sounds like as good as reason as any to invade Mexico. They may not even notice one more army rolling through!

theblackknight
12-13-12, 22:14
You're gonna get all kinds of burritos shoved up your ass in prison.

I shudder at the thought of wasting a otherwise good burrito.

Whiskey_Bravo
12-13-12, 23:52
I'll be contacting every Florida politician in national politics I know of to get their ass in gear and get him out of that shit-hole.
You all should do so as well.

Every time I've gone to that sorry excuse of a country something bad happened. No amount of good scuba makes up for it - I now avoid it like a bad disease and encourage all to do the same.

Same here. I refuse to go there again. As far as diving goes, just bypass that shithole and hit up Belize. It's pretty damn good there.

polydeuces
12-18-12, 07:44
Those of you not having done so yet, here our chance to do something besides bitch and moan:

http://www.nagr.org/2012/JonHammarJr.aspx?pid=2b

Sign it and pass it on to all you know.

Cincinnatus
12-22-12, 15:43
He's been released, finally.
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/12/22/report-jon-hammar-to-be-released-from-mexican-prison-today/