PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Scout or Tikka T3

RONK
12-13-12, 07:02
I'm looking for a General Purpose Rifle,I'm considering a Ruger Scout Rifle and a Tikka T3 stainless synthetic both in .308,I'd like to know your opinions please on how they compare?I would have to have the barrel cut on the Tikka,16"-18",any opinions on that also please?I'd also like to use a conventional scope set-up any suggestions on optics?Thanks for any help.

okie john
12-13-12, 10:58
I'm looking for a General Purpose Rifle,I'm considering a Ruger Scout Rifle and a Tikka T3 stainless synthetic both in .308,I'd like to know your opinions please on how they compare?I would have to have the barrel cut on the Tikka,16"-18",any opinions on that also please?I'd also like to use a conventional scope set-up any suggestions on optics?Thanks for any help.

I spent quite a bit of time and money working with the Scout concept back in the 90s. After that, I settled on a short, light 308 with a 4x Leupold scope.

The Ruger Scout has a lot of features that you may or may not need. If I wasn't going to carry it much, it might be worth putting up with the Ruger's extra weight. If I was going to carry it, I'd go with the Tikka. But I also wouldn't cut the barrel at all unless I had to get the rifle in and out of a vehicle several times a day. Even then, I wouldn't cut it shorter than about 20". The noise and blast of the 308 in a shorter barrel are pretty spectacular.

Get the Tikka, scope it with something like a Leupold 1-4 variable, put a good sling on it, and go kill stuff.

Okie John

RONK
12-13-12, 11:56
Okie John,sir,thanks for the reply,in the Tikka would you go .308 or 30-06?

PrivateCitizen
12-13-12, 12:17
Okie John,sir,thanks for the reply,in the Tikka would you go .308 or 30-06?

There is little if anything a '06 brings to the table that the .308 does when it is all boiled down, IMO. The '06 is heavier, longer throw, potentially more expensive. Unless you plan to reload and then I guess the 30-06 gives you a little more latitude.

I'd go with the 308. 2 bits. Especially in a 'scout' type setup

okie john
12-13-12, 12:24
Private Citizen pretty much nailed it. They're both great cartridges, but a 308 rifle can be a little lighter.

Okie John

RyanB
12-13-12, 13:16
Look at the new Winchester M70s.

Guinnessman
12-13-12, 18:27
My brother has a Ruger Scout and so far I am not impressed. I have been able to shoot this rifle quite a bit the past couple of months and have made some early observations.

The trigger feels quite heavy and I do not have a scale to measure it. We were getting 4 inch groupings at best with a variety of Winchester and Federal loads at 100 yards.

Again, these are just some early observations with the rifle. When I get more trigger time with it I will report back.

LHS
12-13-12, 18:31
With factory ammo, I'd go .308 for the reasons mentioned above. If you handload, you can do heavier bullets (200-gr, 220-gr) in the .30-'06, and sometimes that's necessary or useful (a good all-purpose light-medium African rifle, for instance). But if you want a light, handy medium rifle for shooting most anything in the lower 48 states, I'd go with a .308 and get some of the Barnes TTSX loads.

Suwannee Tim
12-13-12, 18:33
I have had too many disappointing rifles, pistols and revolvers from Ruger. I will only buy a Ruger now if no comparable gun is available from someone else. I then buy with the expectation that the gun will have problems that will have to be addressed.

My brother has a Ruger Scout and so far I am not impressed. I have been able to shoot this rifle quite a bit the past couple of months and have made some early observations.

The trigger feels quite heavy and I do not have a scale to measure it. We were getting 4 inch groupings at best with a variety of Winchester and Federal loads at 100 yards.

Again, these are just some early observations with the rifle. When I get more trigger time with it I will report back.

Pretty much typical of my experience. I have two Ruger bolt actions now, both re-barreled, re-triggered and glass bedded. Neither of them were worth a shit out of the box. Several others I have had over the years were much the same.

....... Even then, I wouldn't cut it shorter than about 20". The noise and blast of the 308 in a shorter barrel are pretty spectacular......Get the Tikka, scope it with something like a Leupold 1-4 variable, put a good sling on it, and go kill stuff. ....Okie John

Amen to that. I have several ARs, SCARs and such in 308, all with short barrels. The blast is amazing out of those short barrels. It has to be horrible without ear protection. I will not put a muzzle brake on anything I might shoot without ears on. That includes 458 Win mag and 416 Rigby. I'd suggest a 4X Leupold. I have six or seven on various rifles, very simple, light, durable and effective.

sierra 223
12-13-12, 18:48
I would rather have the Tikka in 308 over the Ruger.
Plus you can get the Tikka cheaper.

I am wary of Ruger rifles but the Ruger American sounds good so far.
It could be the poor mans Tikka??
Would like to hear more reports.

skipper49
12-13-12, 19:52
Can't comment on the Tikka, as I've never handled one, but I've owned the Ruger Gunsite Scout for almost two years. I have been a fan of the rugged M77 actions for a long time, and love my RGS.
I agree that .308 is the way to go, and I own several 30.06's. The short action is great on the scout concept.
I THINK mine would be a MOA rifle with the right pilot, and glass. It will do inch and a half or a little more with Leupold 2X in forward position.
THe Tikka, I'm sure, would be just as nice, but I already know I like the Ruger.

Skip

rackham1
12-13-12, 23:10

For the purpose you seem to be after, Tikka's Scout model is a little more apples to apples with the Ruger. And already has a 20" barrel and I personally wouldn't cut it. I've not shot the Tikka myself but my Dad wishes he'd bought it over his Ruger Scout.

Either way, try sourcing mags to see if that impacts your decision. I understand the Ruger mags are spendy and the Tikka mags can be hard to find.

SteveS
12-14-12, 15:07
The 16" barrel IMO is too short!!!

sierra 223
12-14-12, 16:06
Agree with not going shorter than 20 inches

munchie3409
12-14-12, 21:28
I've owned both...just recently sold my Ruger GSR because of having too many rifles.

GRS is great because it comes with irons, so you can shoot it with just irons until you figure out which optics you want. I also like that it's threaded and ready for a suppressor. Another plus for the GSR is that it uses AI/AI clone mags which are the industry standard for bolt action with mag system. I have another rifle that uses AI mags, so I shared mags with two rifles.

I find the GSR to be a nice light,compact rifle good for hunting in my state of PA.

The huge pro for Tikka is the action...talk about smooth...Tikka has the best factory action in the industry. The Ruger action feels like crap compared to Tikka.

Tikka mags feel cheap, but are tough...rather pricey at $65 for a 3/4rd mag.

Either rifle will do a good job...If I was picking one of those two rifles, I'd get the GRS because it offers more benefits for my needs compared to Tikka.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
12-15-12, 17:46
I've owned both...just recently sold my Ruger GSR because of having too many rifles.

GRS is great because it comes with irons, so you can shoot it with just irons until you figure out which optics you want. I also like that it's threaded and ready for a suppressor. Another plus for the GSR is that it uses AI/AI clone mags which are the industry standard for bolt action with mag system. I have another rifle that uses AI mags, so I shared mags with two rifles.

I find the GSR to be a nice light,compact rifle good for hunting in my state of PA.

The huge pro for Tikka is the action...talk about smooth...Tikka has the best factory action in the industry. The Ruger action feels like crap compared to Tikka.

Tikka mags feel cheap, but are tough...rather pricey at $65 for a 3/4rd mag.

Either rifle will do a good job...If I was picking one of those two rifles, I'd get the GRS because it offers more benefits for my needs compared to Tikka.
I agree on all points, especially the gritty Ruger action.

Dano5326
12-16-12, 08:50
Tikka / Sako are excellent bolt guns and I'd wager on them shooting tighter any offering near there price range

tomalibrando
12-16-12, 10:21
Tikka makes a great rifle, that said, I've been very happy with the Ruger. I went with the traditional set up (2.5 extended eye relief scope) and added an Eagle cheek piece. The weapon does not like 147/150 grain rounds. But its grouped about 2 MOA or better with Fed 168 or Black Hills 175. The action is not as smooth, but was meant to be rugged. It's a Mauser type action. I can live with that. The trigger on mine was nice. Not what my M24 can do, but again, it's a scout rifle, not a sniper rifle. I am engaging succesfully out to 400 and 500 yards once you learn the holds. As for the blast, I threw a vortex on the front and it's not as bad. Do you loose some speed because its a 16 inch gun? yep. But in my mind, I like the handiness of it. Most every weapon is built around a need or concept. I think it hit the mark pretty well. Making it longer starts turning it into something else. Am I biased because I bought it. Probably. But if something isn't for me, I get rid of it. It's exceeded my expectations so it stays.

Steel
12-16-12, 14:30
This is the last and best group I got the other day when I was getting the Leupold FX-II 2.5x28mm scout scope on my GSR. Granted I didn't have the best shooting conditions while it was rather windy and I was shooting off a unsteady rest. I was using Winchester 7.62x51mm 147gr FMJ. Give me a day with no wind, a solid shoot rest and Federal Gold Medal Match 168gr I am sure I could get sub-moa groups at 100 yards.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/Steel85/IMAG0205.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/Steel85/IMAG0206.jpg

ST911
12-16-12, 14:54
The weapon does not like 147/150 grain rounds. But its grouped about 2 MOA or better with Fed 168 or Black Hills 175.

Tom- When you say it doesn't like the 147/150s, what are you seeing? Surplus stuff, or premium ammo in that weight class?

Have you tried the lighter loads, 110 SMKs in any loading, Hornady TAP, etc?

tomalibrando
12-16-12, 18:26
I shot Federal American Eagle 150 grain ball (red box) and delinked military ball ammo (the same stuff we use in our 240s). They ball did OK, but never as well as the match I had on hand. The ball ammo produced about a 3 minute group most of the time. I had one great group (about a minute) but could not replicate it. The Ruger I have just likes the heavier weights.The match has been consistent as it should be for what goes into it. To be honest, I shoot different loads, measure the results and move on. As soon as I find the right load (thats available to me), I just stay with it. If I had the time to get back into reloading, I'd try everything to get the right formula. For now, I shoot whats on hand and isssued to see what works. I have no dought that something else out there would shoot tighter. I just don't have the time to find it, only establish the trend with the resources that I have.

okie john
12-16-12, 20:10
I tested a bunch of 308 factory ammo when I got my latest 308. With the right handloads, this rifle is a consistent sub-MOA performer. I found that most 147/150-grain FMJ will shoot into ~3 MOA, and the best will shoot ~1.5 MOA. Hunting ammo is more accurate as a rule, with Barnes TSX being the most likely to shoot well, followed closely by Nosler Ballistic Tips.

Okie John

ST911
12-16-12, 20:29
Thanks Tom.

Lost River
12-30-12, 17:56
I have lived my entire life hunting and living in the rural Rocky Mountain West. In doing so, I have gone through a lot of rifles, experimenting with various calibers and such.

When it came time to build what I considered my ideal "all around" rilfe, I ended up with a Tikka T3 Lite stainless synthetic .308.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/001-10.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/015-9.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/PracticalTikka003.jpg

Cut to 20"s, topped with a 2.5-20x24 Nightforce in Talley lightweight rings. Sling is a VTAC.

I load 165 grain Sierra Hollowpoint Gamekings. Killed my elk last year with a single round. Bang, flop.

This is what the rifle does at 100 yards.
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/T3Lite308.jpg

Slinging up and nailing my MGM 1/2 size IPSC plates from the prone at 600 is not too tough.

It is very light, smooth shooting and very much a joy to carry compared to many others I have lugged up and down some of the steep assed mountains in the Rockies. The 5 round mags for the varmint models slide right into shirt pockets and have proven to be "Glock magazine" reliable.

I would not trade 3 new Ruger scout rifles for my 20" T3 as it is set up.

I am not bad mouthing the Ruger, I just have used the T3 enough in the field to know what an awesome setup it is.

montanadave
12-30-12, 18:25
^ That there is just flat out nice from soup to nuts. Great looking rifle, terrific shooting, hell, even the pictures are good.

Well done. :)

Lost River
12-31-12, 12:41
Thanks Dave,

The more I use it, the more I forget I own other stuff. Heck I even shoot our big desert Jacks in the dead of winter with it.

Here is a pic from a couple of years ago. My dad and I got out of the house and did some bunny hunting during the Christmas visit.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/016-1.jpg

The next day I switched to handguns. Using the rifle on Jacks is a great way to keep in practice.

ST911
12-31-12, 15:17
When it came time to build what I considered my ideal "all around" rilfe, I ended up with a Tikka T3 Lite stainless synthetic .308.

That's a great set up. Quality components, practical configuration, excellent accuracy. Good shooting, too.

bvmbandit
01-01-13, 20:18
I owned a Ruger Scout Rifle. If you set it on the curb outside your house and left a dollar bill on it. Whoever picked it up would have a dollar. Go with the Tikka any day of the week. IMHO

Lost River
01-06-13, 11:19
Thank you SkinTop.

I put more than a few years of experience and reflection of season's past into the setup.

bvmbandit,

That is a pretty funny comment.

I have owned a couple Ruger centerfire bolt actions in my younger years. Now days they are about the last place I would even consider.

Sako and Tikka are usually the first place I look when researching a potential new sporter weight hunting rifle.

MWC4
01-06-13, 12:37
Standard Tikka T3 Lite in .308...

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7242/7203635738_deefe3cd40_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/42137411@N00/7203635738/)

xjustintimex
01-06-13, 12:49
I put a 1-4 power on a ruger scout for my dad and we were killing pigs all weekend from 25-300 yards. It's a super sweet setup and it really made me want to find another one. Using hornady 168 grain bullets we had a few 1in groups but most it was shooting 2". I would probably do something different with the flash hider as his gun is a lot longer than my rem 700 aac in 16 inch, but its very light. Only negative was it doesn't feed reliably loaded to capacity. Seems its really an 8 round gun