PDA

View Full Version : 1st SBR build - Need advice please!

Dcr5595
12-13-12, 08:21
Hello all, my trust is setup so I am now ready to get my first SBR and first suppressor. I have been reading the forums, chatting with the local gun stores, and talking to my friends about the best way to go so I thought I would open it to the experts here for your guidance. I keep viewing it as three different ways I could go and I can’t seem to settle on one. What I am looking for is a 5.56 AR with a 10.3 to 11.5 inch barrel to be used for fun and eventual training. It will also be shot a great deal suppressed eventually; I have settled on an ops inc reflex model for that. So, the three ways I look at it are as follows: (1) register my Colt 6530 and purchase a Colt 6933 Upper for it. This would be the most cost effective way but I hate to do that to a “PreBan” Colt (2) buy a stripped noveske Gen 1 lower and build one from scratch with a 6933 upper. I am pretty handy and I think that this would be fun and worthwhile, however, the cost will eventually = my 3rd option and I worry about running into issues in the build or warranty concerns later on. (3) purchase a factory SBR. My LGS has a LMT with a 10.5 barrel for $1050 and a DD Mk18 for $1350. I like the look and feel of those and I like that they will probably hold their value longer (if I ever had to sell which I don’t plan to) however it involves the most up-front cost. Sorry to be long winded but I welcome your thoughts and guidance as I have woken myself up several times with these different options floating around!

uncle money bags
12-13-12, 09:27
Well first, congrats on joining the NFA club!

Some very smart people on this forum are going to suggest an 11.5 BCM setup for good reasons. Having said that i actually built mine with a Noveske gen one lower and mk18 upper with an A5 receiver extension and could not be happier with it. It is reliable and nuts on accurate. I am still waiting on my can so i have no informed opinion on that yet.
I will say the price you quoted for the DD mk18 factory sbr seems like a really good deal to me. If you go the build route similar to mine it will cost more, trust me.

Pappabear
12-13-12, 11:42
Buy your stripped lower of choice, Noveske gen2, ....register it.

Then use the next months to check out your upper. You can buy many good configurations from BCM. And you have time for them to come into stock. Or build your own upper of choice.

Or buy a Colt 6933 for $1,300 and rock and roll.
I never did this, but probably will someday. It's one of those things you are probably always going to want.

Iraqgunz
12-13-12, 13:04
I would start by breaking up your post. Right now it reads like a book and everything runs together which turns people off quickly.

Next thing is I would read some the threads here and look at stuff that others are doing. There is plenty of information about building SBRs and configurations. Do not build something with any thought of future resale because in many cases it's a non starter. For the record I have a few BCM uppers as do others here and they have been 100%.

Dcr5595
12-13-12, 13:15
thanks for the feedback so far - sorry about being verbose as well. I have read a lot of threads which have been invaluable; good to hear on the BCM uppers.

m249saw
12-13-12, 13:28
I have a DD mk18, a Colt 6933 and a BCM 12.5.

Other than barrel length they all run the same, flawless.

Pappabear
12-13-12, 13:31
I would start by breaking up your post. Right now it reads like a book and everything runs together which turns people off quickly.

Next thing is I would read some the threads here and look at stuff that others are doing. There is plenty of information about building SBRs and configurations. Do not build something with any thought of future resale because in many cases it's a non starter. For the record I have a few BCM uppers as do others here and they have been 100%.

You even have one upper that needs to come straight to PappaBear. Drop it with Markm this afternoon. :dance3:

Bret
12-13-12, 17:47
I don't have experience with the other options you mentioned, but I can say that you won't go wrong with a Colt 6933.
http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/1065/colt6933leftview.jpg

Aaron_B
12-13-12, 23:54
I really enjoy my 6933, and after about 2k rounds it still keeps going with no issues. At the same time BCM products are top notch and I am considering adding a KINO upper to my collection.

Dcr5595
12-28-12, 07:32
Thanks for the advice and guidance. I actually bought a noveske gen 1 lower before the insanity started and also picked up a bcm 14.5 pinned mid length upper the Monday afterwards. I may still go the sbr route with this setup down the line after things cool down.