PDA

View Full Version : Sig long extractor in 9mm? P229 SAS Gen II

samuse
12-13-12, 13:52
First off, yes, I did search this forum and the whole internet. I didn't come up with much in the way of hard evidence of anything wrong with the newest Sigs except the usual belly-aching... That I tend to somewhat agree with.

I own, shoot, carry and am satisfied with my 9mm 3rd gen Glocks. I'm not looking to replace them, I'm looking for a semi-compact DA/SA 9mm.
I don't want to end up with a known problematic POS.

I am looking for some reasonably educated/valid opinions on the new long extractor Sig 9mms out now, particularly the P229 SAS gen II in 9mm.

Airborne Infantryman
12-13-12, 14:41
My two day old M11-A1 (P229 w/ 228 grips) has the long extractor, and I've had no issues so far. I put 250 rounds thru it today, which isn't much, but it ejected with no issues.

30 round group at 20 yards-

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8479/8269641289_ed3e1b84bc_b.jpg

F-Trooper05
12-13-12, 22:27
Was there something wrong with the short extractors?

S. Galbraith
12-13-12, 22:40
My two day old M11-A1 (P229 w/ 228 grips) has the long extractor, and I've had no issues so far. I put 250 rounds thru it today, which isn't much, but it ejected with no issues.

30 round group at 20 yards-

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8479/8269641289_ed3e1b84bc_b.jpg

He's talking about the new external MIM extractor found on the P229.

The the OP, the old short external extractors were a machined part. The new long ones are MIM using a less spec important perpendicular snail pin. Cheaper manufacturing process all the way around. You can draw your own conclusions from that information. I'm not a fan of newer Sigs, and I'm been using them since the 90s.

John Hearne
12-13-12, 23:23
I am looking for some reasonably educated/valid opinions on the new long extractor Sig 9mms out now, particularly the P229 SAS gen II in 9mm.

The big extractor is the result of Sig trying to reduce their manufacturing costs. Apparently, when they examined the process, they realized that the extractor system was the most expensive part of slide manufacturing. They also realized that the short extractor did not work with a MIM extractor. By opening up the entire side of the slide and converting to a MIM extractor, they could reduce manufacturing costs.

There is nothing inherently wrong with the new design. The only downside is that you now must remove the extractor to remove the firing pin. The pins are single use so it's more hassle and a few pennies more.

FWIW, I like the old design because it was so easy to pop out the extractor, clean behind the hook, and reassemble.

Airborne Infantryman
12-14-12, 09:12
He's talking about the new external MIM extractor found on the P229.

The the OP, the old short external extractors were a machined part. The new long ones are MIM using a less spec important perpendicular snail pin. Cheaper manufacturing process all the way around. You can draw your own conclusions from that information. I'm not a fan of newer Sigs, and I'm been using them since the 90s.

Mine does have the long MIM extractor. :)

S. Galbraith
12-14-12, 09:26
Mine does have the long MIM extractor. :)

Got a pic?

Rowland_P
12-14-12, 19:35
The the OP, the old short external extractors were a machined part.

Not all of them. All three of my P220s, and my P229 (and a no-longer-owned P226) have the short extractor and they are all MIM. The only issue I've had with any of my Sigs was a broken extractor on a P220R at roughly the 1,000 round mark. It must have broken because I had a failure to extract and noticed the extractor, pin and spring missing (and never found them). Sig replaced those parts at no cost, sight unseen, based solely on my phone call. I requested them on a Thursday and had them in my hands Monday afternoon. The extractor they sent was also MIM. Haven't had an issue after several thousand more rounds. None of my others have had any problems.

It's my understanding that Sig is going to the long extractor on all their P-series guns as well as, eventually, the SP2022 and that the long extractor will be a common part for all of them. The P220 and P226/9 required different short extractors.

samuse
12-15-12, 18:34
Hmm.

I ended up buying an all German 9mm 229 without a rail since it was configured exactly as I wanted. I believe it's gonna have the short extractor, I'll check it out when it arrives next week...