PDA

View Full Version : Upgaded Single Stage Trigger Talk

Gunzilla
12-13-12, 15:02
Looking to upgrade my FCG to something that is a nice single stage set up but don't know much about the various brands.

What I have found, and read a little about, I've narrowed it down to 3 choices (but will consider others based on suggestions here).

1. Alexander Arms Triggers, Blade-Style Trigger

2. Chip McCormick 'straight trigger' 3.5lb pull weight

3. This 2 stage: Geissele SSA-E Super Semi-Automatic ENHANCED

I don't want to go below 3.5lbs and I prefer a single stage, but will consider the 2 stage if the feedback I get here can make me feel comfortable with using it in a CQB AR. This trigger group will be used in a competition AR platform.

My budget goal is to stay below $200, but may stretch that slightly.

Thank you in advance for your commentary, and advice.

Moltke
12-13-12, 15:57
http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?2038-Wilson-Combat-Tactical-Trigger-Unit-%2810-000-trips-of-the-trigger%29

jaxman7
12-13-12, 15:57
It's a stretch past your budget but look at Wilson's TTU.

-Jax

ETA: Moltke beat me to it!

eperk
12-13-12, 16:31
I now have a Timney 3# in one of mine. It's the best single stage I've found so far. It also comes in a 4# version. I love it for what it is.

Having said that I have never found a 2 stage that can touch my SSA-E.

Gunzilla
12-13-12, 17:01
So what is the difference between the TTU and the TTU-3G, outside of the visuals?

Found them on sale and may jump on one depending on other feedback I may get.

Gunzilla
12-13-12, 17:09
I now have a Timney 3# in one of mine. It's the best single stage I've found so far. It also comes in a 4# version. I love it for what it is.

Having said that I have never found a 2 stage that can touch my SSA-E.

OK, what is it about the SSA-E that you find it superior? I can get one of these for about $20 less than the TTU-3G, but for the price difference I'd just prefer buying the better of the 2.

TomD
12-13-12, 17:12
There is a good reason a lot (or most) top 3-gun shooters use JP triggers.

Gunzilla
12-13-12, 17:19
There is a good reason a lot (or most) top 3-gun shooters use JP triggers.

I can think of several reasons for this.....one being it's cheaper and more funds can go towards ammo and other gear. Another is they get them for free. Can you elaborate, your response is very vague?

jaxman7
12-13-12, 17:50
So what is the difference between the TTU and the TTU-3G, outside of the visuals?

Found them on sale and may jump on one depending on other feedback I may get.

I haven't shot the TTU 3G yet but my understanding is that it has a slightly lighter pull (around .5lb) but the big difference is the way it breaks.

The standard TTU breaks like a standard trigger. You hit the wall , follow through and the hammer drops. The 3G version is supposed to behave with a more rolling style of break.

-Jax

mpom
12-13-12, 17:55
Free??I'm no big name shooter, paid for mine. Doubt they would be in production if they gave them away.

Mark

eperk
12-13-12, 18:47
OK, what is it about the SSA-E that you find it superior? I can get one of these for about $20 less than the TTU-3G, but for the price difference I'd just prefer buying the better of the 2.

I have yet to find a trigger like the ssa or ssa-e that breaks as cleanly.

The_Hammer_Man
12-13-12, 19:18
+1 for the SSA and the SSA-E triggers. Well worth the money spent.

With that said.. my favorite single stage "trigger pack" has to be the Wilson TTU.

Bill doesn't know how to do bad work :)

eperk
12-13-12, 19:23
+1 for the SSA and the SSA-E triggers. Well worth the money spent.

With that said.. my favorite single stage "trigger pack" has to be the Wilson TTU.

Bill doesn't know how to do bad work :)

I've heard those Wilson drop in triggers are the bomb. Great quality.

The one thing I don't like about the Timney is the installation. It's a bitch getting that second set of hex head screws in. Other than that it's a clean trigger.

milosz
12-13-12, 19:35
2 types of the Wilson TTU are on sale for $216 today, down from $270.

I'm still torn on TTU or a Geissele SSA (not the -E version) or I'd jump on it.

Gunzilla
12-13-12, 20:37
2 types of the Wilson TTU are on sale for $216 today, down from $270.

I'm still torn on TTU or a Geissele SSA (not the -E version) or I'd jump on it.

So, this price will go back up tomorrow?

If so I've got a decision to make. :help:

What is it about the 'E' version that nixes it for you? Isn't the 'enhanced' version supposed to be an improved version of the SSA?

milosz
12-13-12, 20:42
I'm not sure if the sale ends tomorrow, it's part of the Christmas countdown sale so it may last a few more days.

WC sale page (http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Christmas-Countdown-SALE/products/444/?utm_source=Wilson+Combat+Newsletter&utm_campaign=1107527049-xmas_12_13_2012&utm_medium=email)

As I understand it, the SSA-E is lighter. I'm pretty sure the SSA itself will be light enough for me (plinking, classes, maybe carbine comps) and basically the same pull weight as the non-3Gun Wilson unit.

The_Hammer_Man
12-14-12, 05:51
If you read the info about the SSA and the SSA-E the difference is:

About .5 lbs lighter second stage pull with the E version.

"Carrot vs Icicle" feel to the break. SSA=Carrot. SSA-E= Icicle.