PDA

View Full Version : Double Heat Shield Hand Guards

MassMark
02-22-08, 08:42
As I continue to piece together parts for my build, I am struck by hand guard choices. I'll be building as close to an M4 as I can get here in the PRM and am opting out of a railed front end. I want this rifle as clean and clutter-free as possible - employing a light may be the only detail to work out later. The meat of my question is hand guards. My upper will be supplied with single layer M4 hand guards. I have seen DMPS, (gulp) dual layer hand guards for sale I believe at Brownells, (perhaps Midway).
Are they worth the expense? I'll be taking another carbine course this Summer and have chosen to use my new build in the course instead of my Troy MCS/SOCOM-16.

Round count for the course will likely be high and I shoot a moderate amount of ammunition outside of courses anyway, (10,000 rounds of 7.62x51 in the last year). Certainly not a 5k weekend, but you get the idea. So, are they a "must have"?

Thanks all.

Mark

markm
02-22-08, 09:14
I've shot a few courses with those shitty Bushmaster single sheilded hand guards with not problem at all.

I'd just pick up some COLT hand guards of to TOS equipment exchange since they typically sell for a reasonable price.

MassMark
02-22-08, 11:16
I've shot a few courses with those shitty Bushmaster single sheilded hand guards with not problem at all.

I'd just pick up some COLT hand guards of to TOS equipment exchange since they typically sell for a reasonable price.

Excellent - thanks.

RAM Engineer
02-22-08, 12:07
BCM has some, as well.

hellbound
02-22-08, 13:01
GDS enterprises out of Texas was selling Colt M4 HGs for like $30-35, i got my KAC M5 RASes from them, they were good to do business with...

MassMark
02-22-08, 23:27
I found some that claim to be "Colt M4 Set w/Double Heat Shield for $18.95 - is that too good to be true, or about right? I also found them for $49.95, so that's quite a jump...

ddemis
02-22-08, 23:34
I recently purshased DPMS glacier guards for my m-4 and found them to be one of the best standard looking guards ever.They are oval shapped,strong and solid with internal ribs to dissipate heat. Give them a look,there worth it, retail around 35.00 bucks.