PDA

View Full Version : Selling my M&P......

duece71
12-14-12, 05:54
All,
I have a coworker whom is wanting to buy my Smith M&P15. The price negotiated is $1000, which is just north of what I bought it for a couple of years ago. It has been a good rifle, no problems that I can think of. I put an MI 2 piece rail on it, a Surefire G2 in a Viking Tactics mount, a TD short vert grip, MP pistol grip, and an LMT SOPMOD butt stock, VTAC 2 point sling and an MI fixed rear BUIS. It also has a Aimpoint which will not be sold with the rifle.
Here is my question.....
If you were in my shoes, would you sell the rifle as is (minus the Aimpoint) or put some of the original accessories back on the rifle? My coworker has not seen the rifle, but I have told him about some of the features (minus the actual names of some of the accessories). I feel that in its current version, $1000 sounds like he is getting an awesome deal. I have an old UTG rail, the original buttstock and pistol grip and a basic vertical grip. Would you swap out some of the stuff or leave as is? Thank you for your replies.

Jimmyjon
12-14-12, 06:10
SWAP!!:D

товарищ
12-14-12, 06:30
You already negotiated a price for it.

LovelandSBR
12-14-12, 06:36
I would have switched it back before you settled on a price. At this point, you gave the guy a great deal.

royal
12-14-12, 06:49
If I were in your shoes I wouldn't sell someone (let alone a coworker) a rifle with shit parts. Doing it after negotiating a deal wouldn't even enter into my thought process.

Failure2Stop
12-14-12, 07:03
If I were in your shoes I wouldn't sell someone (let alone a coworker) a rifle with shit parts. Doing it after negotiating a deal wouldn't even enter into my thought process.

yup...

skeebinz
12-14-12, 07:08
I agree I think you should leave it as is. You already agreed on a price with its current configuration and you should keep it that way

Psalms144.1
12-14-12, 07:44
As one of my finest Battalion Commanders once said: "Integrity isn't a hat you can take on and off."

You negotiated a price on the rifle as is. Your co-worker negotiated in good faith. Now you want to stick him with a bunch of low-price crap to make your profit higher?

Sell it as is.

duece71
12-14-12, 07:55
Ok, it will be sold as is.

BillyJack2012
12-14-12, 08:28
As one of my finest Battalion Commanders once said: "Integrity isn't a hat you can take on and off."

You negotiated a price on the rifle as is. Your co-worker negotiated in good faith. Now you want to stick him with a bunch of low-price crap to make your profit higher?

Sell it as is.

Well said. The question should never have entered your mind but if it did and your co-worker started researching his AR (which he will) you now have a very awkward working relationship to deal with. No back peddling from there and you become "that guy".

Stickman
12-14-12, 13:04
I feel that in its current version, $1000 sounds like he is getting an awesome deal.

Why is he getting an awesome deal? I don't think most people on this board would tell him to buy it at 1k.

As far as changing things after you made a deal, that speaks to integrity, you either have it or you don't.

SpankMonkey
12-14-12, 13:29
"COC Violation"

Glad you outed yourself.

Striker
12-14-12, 14:15
As far as changing things after you made a deal, that speaks to integrity, you either have it or you don't.

Yep. This is my thought as well.

Airhasz
12-14-12, 22:28
[QUOTE=Stickman;1468882]Why is he getting an awesome deal? I don't think most people on this board would tell him to buy it at 1k.

My first thought also...:(

Seagunner
12-14-12, 22:40
A little "used car salesman" shenanigans is what that would be.

3 AE
12-14-12, 22:42
deuce71 already stated he would sell it as is at 05:55. Is there really any reason to bust his chops since then?

jstone
12-14-12, 23:13
deuce71 already stated he would sell it as is at 05:55. Is there really any reason to bust his chops since then?

If anyone post's something like he did their "chops are going to get busted". Plus a lot of people will read the op then comment.

whick1
12-15-12, 05:34
I would not buy the rifle in its current configuration for 1K. For another $50 or so you could get a brand new Colt.

I would not switch the parts out do not take advantage of his lack of knowledge of the AR platform.

duece71
12-15-12, 05:55
All,
The rifle will be sold as is. I am not going to change out anything on the rifle except remove the Aimpoint per my coworkers request. I did suggest to him that he could go buy a new rifle (Colt, BCM) but he declined. I asked him why and he said he wanted a rifle that had already had some rounds through it. Ok, why buy used through me? To avoid paperwork............

LostinKY
12-15-12, 06:05
All,
The rifle will be sold as is. I am not going to change out anything on the rifle except remove the Aimpoint per my coworkers request. I did suggest to him that he could go buy a new rifle (Colt, BCM) but he declined. I asked him why and he said he wanted a rifle that had already had some rounds through it. Ok, why buy used through me? To avoid paperwork............

Could there be a reason that he would be denied when they run his check at a gun dealer?

eperk
12-15-12, 06:46
Could there be a reason that he would be denied when they run his check at a gun dealer?

Heck, even if he was squeaky clean, he will have a gun with no record of his ownership. In this environment, that might not be a bad thing.

LostinKY
12-15-12, 07:03
Heck, even if he was squeaky clean, he will have a gun with no record of his ownership. In this environment, that might not be a bad thing.

I was thinking of the seller's possible liability if something really stupid was to happen...
I guess I am just getting a little "jumpy".

elnino31
12-15-12, 10:19
I was thinking of the seller's possible liability if something really stupid was to happen...
I guess I am just getting a little "jumpy".

If he's worried, he can look up and ask the same questions on the ATF background forms used when buying new.

I personally know alot of people who will only buy guns from private parties to avoid anyone having record of their purchase. Not because they can't pass a background check, but because they want to protect their privacy.

I personally do not like to include my SSN, but through experience it will delay your approval. At least it did with me.

midSCarolina
12-15-12, 11:36
1000 is a fair price as is. The only thing I would consider swapping is the SOPMOD for the standard stock. As long as he isn't expecting it to be on there.

duece71
12-15-12, 13:48
All,
He wants to avoid the paperwork, not because he has been denied by a gun shop/gun seller, but because he doesn't like the records being out there. He doesn't trust someone at a gun show and knows me pretty well. If you really want to know, he is a pilot just like me and has had a criminal background check (like me) and been finger printed (like every other pilot due to the 9/11 attacks). There is no doubt in my mind that he is a solid person. He is a politically passionate person. He has a family, been married along time and has never had any problems with the law. Am I hesitating due to the recent tragedy? No, I am not. He is a fine person and a proud American.
All that being said, I will repeat again, I will sell it as is. I have no problem with that and I just wanted a few opinions by posting, that is all.

Rock8921
12-15-12, 21:49
Good choice to sell him the rifle as is... for me, a sell of anything, not just a gun to a co-worker, is about helping them out... and not so much for profit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

shootist1970
12-15-12, 22:33
Alright here's the way i see it, once the gun left the original gunshop it became a "Used firearm" knocking off about 40% of its trade in value. Accessories do not necesarily add value, kinda like when you put custom parts on your vehicle, when it comes time to sell it's still only worth used car blue book, the new buyer does not care that you have $3000 dollar rims on it. You already made the deal to sell the gun and hinted at what it would come with to the buyer.

The sight,well thats different you did not say you would sell him the sight, so keep that.

I say sell it it is when you made the deal, even if he doesn't know he got cheated or not, YOU WILL and sometimes dealing with your own conscience is worse than being accused of doing something rotten.

Njbudman81
12-16-12, 06:43
I sold mine for $1100 with this on it

M&p-15 Orc
moe grip
Moe stock
Moe hand guard with 2 small rails
Mbus sights
Bad lever
Bcm charging handle
Magpul trigger guard
Blackhawk! Sling point
Cheap sling
10 round metal mag
Magpul mag
Hardcase

Airhasz
12-16-12, 09:53
Alright here's the way i see it, once the gun left the original gunshop it became a "Used firearm" knocking off about 40% of its trade in value. Accessories do not necesarily add value, kinda like when you put custom parts on your vehicle, when it comes time to sell it's still only worth used car blue book, the new buyer does not care that you have $3000 dollar rims on it. You already made the deal to sell the gun and hinted at what it would come with to the buyer.

The sight,well thats different you did not say you would sell him the sight, so keep that.

I say sell it it is when you made the deal, even if he doesn't know he got cheated or not, YOU WILL and sometimes dealing with your own conscience is worse than being accused of doing something rotten.

$3000 rims matter and sweeten the deal for tons of people, including myself.

Njbudman81
12-16-12, 09:54
That's not true. A mustang with a blower is worth more then one without to a private party.