PDA

View Full Version : Help me update my AR knowledge base...

MiamiAttorney
12-14-12, 13:16
Hey all. I haven't kept my AR knowledge current in 4 years or so, and I'll likely purchase an AR within the next couple of months. (Looking like a 6940.) I tried to search the forums for answers to most of these questions, but I didn't find recent answers. I'm sure some of this is available somewhere on the site, so I apologize in advance for any duplication. I'd appreciate any info/pointers anyone here might have.

1. Chromed BCG's: I saw some posts from back in '08 or so saying they offered no practical advantage. Is that still what the facts show?

2. Middy vs. Carbine gas lengths: I remember hearing that mid-length systems cause less stress and are likely more reliable in the long-term. Again, just want to make sure this is current thinking.

3. Lube: last I checked, a lot of guys were using Mobil 1, and lots of it. Heard a lot of mixed things about CLP, poor reviews Rem Oil, etc. I could definitely use some pointers here.

Thoughts?

nineteenkilo
12-14-12, 18:55
3. As far as lube goes, pick one and use a lot of it. I traditionally use good old CLP and it never fails me.

2. The chrome is optional and, for the most part, is about the same price-wise so I'd go for it. It can't hurt.

1. Middy's are all the rage for several reasons. You get the most obvious one - less strain on the non-sbr than a carbine length gas system. Having said that, every single rifle I currently own is carbine length and I have zero issues. That's on 10.5 to 16 inch weapons.

Seagunner
12-14-12, 23:11
Colt doesn't make a mid length. And as far as lube, everybody on here has their own opinions, from old school to Froglube. I do use Mobil 1 though. My middy is a DDM4v3. And a bayonet fits a mid length :lol:

Doc Safari
12-15-12, 00:00
2. Middy vs. Carbine gas lengths: I remember hearing that mid-length systems cause less stress and are likely more reliable in the long-term. Again, just want to make sure this is current thinking.
Thoughts?

I researched this quite a bit, mostly from this site. I believe the consensus is that the mid-length is less taxing on components (like bolts), but that it tends to be more reliable with full power 5.56 ammo as opposed to weaker loads of .223 Remington.

elnino31
12-15-12, 09:07
There are multiple threads on muddy vs carbine length gas systems. Imho, there's very little discernable differences to the average user. You can debate back and forth in the decision between the two. But, you'd be better served to pick one blindly and shoot the hell out of it. You will find that it unlikely you'll shoot enough to wear it out.

Buy any quality lube and use plentiful amounts.

francobx22
12-15-12, 17:23
Hey all. I haven't kept my AR knowledge current in 4 years or so, and I'll likely purchase an AR within the next couple of months. (Looking like a 6940.) I tried to search the forums for answers to most of these questions, but I didn't find recent answers. I'm sure some of this is available somewhere on the site, so I apologize in advance for any duplication. I'd appreciate any info/pointers anyone here might have.

1. Chromed BCG's: I saw some posts from back in '08 or so saying they offered no practical advantage. Is that still what the facts show?

3. Lube: last I checked, a lot of guys were using Mobil 1, and lots of it. Heard a lot of mixed things about CLP, poor reviews Rem Oil, etc. I could definitely use some pointers here.

Thoughts?

1. Nickel-boron .. it is easier to clean and helps with smoother cycling of the weapon.. I have two BCGs and Bolt in nickel-boron and am very happy to far.

2. Middy is a bit smoother to shoot and not as violent vs carbine, as well as supposed to be more reliable as it doesnt beat on your parts as carbine, with longer life in the rifle, a lot of people have moved to this gas length. IMO its preference , I still run both.

3. I have great success with slip2000 and the rifle is meant to be ran wet especially when not using the rifle and storing it keep that BCG nice and lubed. The other oils you mentioned work and mainly preference.

Just IMO

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

MiamiAttorney
12-16-12, 08:12
1. Nickel-boron .. it is easier to clean and helps with smoother cycling of the weapon.. I have two BCGs and Bolt in nickel-boron and am very happy to far.

2. Middy is a bit smoother to shoot and not as violent vs carbine, as well as supposed to be more reliable as it doesnt beat on your parts as carbine, with longer life in the rifle, a lot of people have moved to this gas length. IMO its preference , I still run both.

3. I have great success with slip2000 and the rifle is meant to be ran wet especially when not using the rifle and storing it keep that BCG nice and lubed. The other oils you mentioned work and mainly preference.

Just IMO

Thank you all for the info.

Specifically with regard to nickel boron, does anyone have recommendations on where to get it? I know a guy down here in FL is getting some Glock slides and barrels done by Fail Zero. I have no experience with them, though.

francobx22
12-16-12, 08:18
Thank you all for the info.

Specifically with regard to nickel boron, does anyone have recommendations on where to get it? I know a guy down here in FL is getting some Glock slides and barrels done by Fail Zero. I have no experience with them, though.

All most major companies make nickel boron BCGs and bolts.. spikes tactical is very good and local (I use them) , YHM, JP, plenty more those are top three to me, as I've used them with much success.

I know a few guys that got some Fail Zero stuff and they are pretty happy with it.