PDA

View Full Version : Tragedy in CT

Boker55
12-14-12, 17:29
I believe that a if employees at that CT school would have had even a small amount of first aid training lives could have been saved. It's just too bad people hadnt thought "what if" and taken the proper steps to be prepared.

chuckman
12-14-12, 18:33
Point taken, but too soon to Monday morning quarterback that event. As a very experienced pre-hospital provider I have had the displeasure of responding to a MCI with children, not even near this magnitude, and it was still traumatizing. I cannot even begin to think of the horrors the school staff had to deal with so I can give them, as non-medical folks, a pass.

I am sure, like all of the other events, the response, triage, treatment, etc., will be parsed and an AAR will come out so we can all learn from their experience.

Prayers out to the families and responders. I have shed tears over this.

Boker55
12-14-12, 18:35
Point taken, but too soon to Monday morning quarterback that event. As a very experienced pre-hospital provider I have had the displeasure of responding to a MCI with children, not even near this magnitude, and it was still traumatizing. I cannot even begin to think of the horrors the school staff had to deal with so I can give them, as non-medical folks, a pass.

I am sure, like all of the other events, the response, triage, treatment, etc., will be parsed and an AAR will come out so we can all learn from their experience.

Prayers out to the families and responders. I have shed tears over this.

Very well said.

Ledanek
12-15-12, 22:20
I'm not from CT nor related to anyone over there, yet, I myself need some time to mourn.

It upsets me even more, it has become an agenda.

R.I.P. to those precious angels and the staff of that school.

FL2011
12-15-12, 23:12
I believe that a if employees at that CT school would have had even a small amount of first aid training lives could have been saved. It's just too bad people hadnt thought "what if" and taken the proper steps to be prepared.

That's a fair bit of assumption there...

LMT Shooter
12-16-12, 04:22
I agree the training in dealing with trauma would never be a bad idea, but who knows how helpful it would have been in this specific case. I don't want to Monday morning quarterback any of the people who lived through this tragedy.

I hope I don't offend, but after 9/11, we decided to allow pilots who chose to do so to be armed in the cockpit. That was a good choice. It serves as a deterrent, and could allow a potential victim or innocent by-stander to stop an attacker. I think it is time to allow teachers and administrators in schools to carry concealed in our schools. David Grossman has said that in several school shootings, the killing stopped when the attacker was confronted by a determined individual.

My condolences to the families of the victims of this terrible tragedy. I cannot fathom their pain.

montanadave
12-16-12, 08:04
These children were shot multiple times at close range with a rifle. The fact there were no survivors refects the significantly higher lethality of a rifle round over a handgun more than it does any lack of first aid training by those at the scene.

The scene in that school must have been horrible beyond words.

7 RING
12-16-12, 08:27
It's entirely too early to tell. We don't have enough data about the incident and won't for some time. School teachers are not seasoned U.S. Navy Corpsmen, so I don't think it is appropriate to make judgemental statements about anyone who might have been in a position to render aid under fire.

God bless the souls of the departed and those who have to live with this incident.

WillBrink
12-16-12, 08:34

An ongoing thread exists on this topic of CT event BTW.

7 RING
12-16-12, 11:55
An ongoing thread exists on this topic of CT event BTW.

A lot of us cannot participate in General Discussion. That may be why this thread was started here.

Alael
12-16-12, 12:10
A lot of us cannot participate in General Discussion. That may be why this thread was started here.

Feinstein takes the emotional momentum of this tragedy to push forward AWB:
http://videocafe.crooksandliars.com/heather/sen-feinstein-introduce-assault-weapons-ba

BigTinVA
12-16-12, 12:15
I noticed that I am prevented from replying to certain sub-forums here as well. Why is that?

gobo57
12-31-12, 14:28
i would think that to pass any kind of common law or to make previsions with curent situations would be to stock a military grade trauma/first respond kit for many people in schools. with that in mind of "troops returning home" where is this surplus going to end up? better here than abroad. hire vets to put in place than let the gov. to figure out . would think it be alot easier than wanting to arm/security (tax payer) small towns ect. there are many vets in need of work and keeping them working is a plus. i didn't or hope that this comment has got too far off or to hijack this thread.

Atlshaun
01-27-13, 15:19
I noticed that I am prevented from replying to certain sub-forums here as well. Why is that?

There are post count thresholds

GD requires 200 i believe

dmaxfireman
01-27-13, 17:34
I disagree, close range on a child with a rifle, the temporary cavity and tearing will effect far more vital tissue than an adult. As well as much less volume of blood to lose before they begin to crash. Did you know that somebody who goes into traumatic arrest has a fraction of 1% survival even if ALS care is provided immediately.

Not saying that it would not be worth the try at all, I just don't feel that realistically there is much that could have been done to prevent the inevitable after multiple rounds have done the damage.

gobo57
01-28-13, 00:19
not trying to run up a post count to be enabled to post/respond in gd by any means or sell something in ee for that matter. it seems to me it would be easier to have basic/enhanced fa training vs. firearm training without having to put teachers or other staff that feel uncomfortable for being able to respond with whatever help may be given. i do understand the the nature of limited bodily suplies of a child vs. adult. either way if there isn't some form of trauma kit and training...

dmaxfireman
01-28-13, 06:48
Think chronologically. In most scenarios you cannot render first aid if the threat is still active. Remove the bad guy from the equation then go ahead with medical treatment if possible.

7 RING
01-28-13, 10:45
Think chronologically. In most scenarios you cannot render first aid if the threat is still active. Remove the bad guy from the equation then go ahead with medical treatment if possible.

This is of paramount importance. If the threat is not neutralized first, you will have more casualties to treat. Some of the personnel rendering first aid may become casualties if the threat is still active.