PDA

View Full Version : Good alternative to brass snare wire

Boker55
12-14-12, 17:49
Mil-spec surplus "Trip" wire. Comes on handy little wooden spools. OD green in color so it blends pretty well. Haven't had a chance to test it out in the woods yet but it seems like it'll work just fine.
http://i46.tinypic.com/28lq4y8.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/10mmn7n.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/2vamdcx.jpg

Stumpnav
12-25-12, 21:59
Where did you get this stuff?

7 RING
12-25-12, 22:06
In a pinch you can use safety wire like the wire used to secure nuts and bolts on road racing motorcycles.

strow
01-05-13, 11:23
Get some 1/32” or 3/64” 1x19 cable and a micro or mini lock. 1/32 cable is VERY small and almost invisible in the field. The Snare Shop would be a good start.

I’m gonna step on some toes here…but. Using wire for snares is amateurish at best. I trap and snare to supplement my income and would NEVER think of using wire for anything but fixing a fence or a snare support.

A lot of the “snaring” info on the survival and self-preparedness sights will NOT work in the real world. Can it work? Sometimes. Would I bet my life on it? NO!

Like solar stills, it is info that keeps getting regurgitated from one survival book to the other without any real world evidence to back it up.

LoboTBL
01-08-13, 22:38
Give old guitar strings a try.

The_Count
01-09-13, 08:24
Another good option would be plastic coated leader wire. You can get it in varying diameters. Most of it is coated in black plastic. Its available at a walmart near you!

skydivr
01-09-13, 15:33
Get some 1/32” or 3/64” 1x19 cable and a micro or mini lock. 1/32 cable is VERY small and almost invisible in the field. The Snare Shop would be a good start.

I’m gonna step on some toes here…but. Using wire for snares is amateurish at best. I trap and snare to supplement my income and would NEVER think of using wire for anything but fixing a fence or a snare support.

A lot of the “snaring” info on the survival and self-preparedness sights will NOT work in the real world. Can it work? Sometimes. Would I bet my life on it? NO!

Like solar stills, it is info that keeps getting regurgitated from one survival book to the other without any real world evidence to back it up.

If you don't use wire, then what IS your choice?

strow
01-09-13, 22:53
I would prefer 1x19 aircraft cable for 90% of my snare work. 1/32" 1x19 is $8 per 100' at the snare shop and would work well for small game. 1/16" or 5/64 is plenty strong for most coyote, beaver, coon, etc. 7x7 cable comes in second place and does not hold as nice a loop but will work ok. I do use 7x7 and 7x19 cable for my snare extensions and tie-offs.

If you are serious about this invest in instruction from someone who makes a living trapping/snaring and doing damage control work.

Saving $$$ on cheap cable or wire is like buying factory second's condoms. It's a train wreck waiting to happen.

strow
01-09-13, 22:58
What do you plan on snaring is what I should have asked.

You name the critter and I will give you my opinion on what type and size cable to use. What lock I would recommend. What diameter loop and how high off the ground.

AKDoug
01-09-13, 23:09
I'm with strow. We use nothing but cable up here for snares.

The_Count
01-10-13, 07:32
What about something like Spider Wire Fishing Line. In higher test, say 50lb. its stronger than cable and just as abrasion resistant? it would also be lighter. Also my previous recommendation of Fishing Leader wire is actually a cable.

seacoastnh
01-10-13, 10:01

Like solar stills, it is info that keeps getting regurgitated from one survival book to the other without any real world evidence to back it up.\

What is the issue with wire, does it not move through the loop efficiently?

I have been using stainless steel rigging (fishing) leader and a small swivel attached with a haywire twist. It works in the sense that I have frequent success. It is difficult to estimate the catch/miss rate. My test samples are rats coming under a fence.

strow
01-10-13, 18:00
The issue with wire is that it is not near as strong or flexible as wire of the same diameter. A modern snare lock is MUCH more effective than a twisted wire eyelet.

Buy 100' of 1/32 1x19 cable, some 1/32 ferrules, and a micro or mini lock and you will never look back.

Wire vs cable is like comparing a flintlock with a tier 1 AR. They kinda work the same...but not quite. The cable is just a MUCH better tool.

What are you snaring besides rats? For rats why not just use a large Victor rat trap baited with peanut butter? Over time it would probably be cheaper. If you do use the large Victor rat trap Gorilla Glue the staples and lacquer the wood they will last a lot longer in nasty conditions.

I don't doubt that you can improvise all kinds of snaring and survival gear. But in this case it will never be as good as a modern purpose made version.

Again, just my opinion. Hope this helps.

seacoastnh
01-10-13, 18:44
The issue with wire is that it is not near as strong or flexible as wire of the same diameter. A modern snare lock is MUCH more effective than a twisted wire eyelet.

What are you snaring besides rats? For rats why not just use a large Victor rat trap baited with peanut butter? Over time it would probably be cheaper. If you do use the large Victor rat trap Gorilla Glue the staples and lacquer the wood they will last a lot longer in nasty conditions.

Squirrels. The dog is not attracted to the snares, unlike peanut butter. I am going to orders a few from the snare shop. Thanks for the info.

strow
01-11-13, 07:25
Good point about the peanut butter.

The Snare Shop or any good trapping supply house will take care of you.

Let us know how it goes.

Muddyboots
01-20-13, 16:42
Strow, You make some valid points on the nature of snares but I think you need to look at the context. Most people want small light kits that can live in your gear and provide a solid hedge against the odds. Yes, commercial snares and even fishing cable snares are much stronger and more effective than field built snares. If you have the luxury of carrying the weight, awesome! You may also have the luxury of carrying more calories. It comes down to the relationship of energy expended for caloric gain. 50 ft. of .040 stainless lock wire will "cast the net wider" per ounce of material used. Yes, I'd prefer 10 Conibears but really I'd prefer 10 hooks in a trout laden stream. It's a balancing act. In the end, it isn't the wire that is the issue, It is knowing where to put it. You can also make enough promontory peg traps to fill a valley and still starve. Wrong valley? If you want to have a good discussion on real life trapping in primitive circumstances, look up George Meachaude at Rabbitstick or on the Hoodlums forum. He likes the .040 stainless lock wire for small kits and carries real cable snares with a tab lock that he builds, on the dog sled.

Muddyboots