PDA

View Full Version : Same Bolt Carrier, Different Uppers?

catargadelendaest
12-15-12, 18:10
I did search.

I have more projects than bolt carriers.
Is there anything wrong with swapping bolt carriers among different uppers if I leave the bolt assemblies and charging handles with their respective barrelled uppers?

Thanks in advance.

MistWolf
12-15-12, 18:13
There is nothing wrong with keeping the bolt with the barrel and swapping carriers. Check gas ring fit when you do and think about keeping a spare set of rings handy

catargadelendaest
12-15-12, 18:21
It is my intent to keep spare rings and other parts on hand.
I also intend to keep the firing pin, retainer pin, and cam pin with each bolt that remains with each barrel.

Edit:
...and I intend to check gas ring fit with each swap.

Iraqgunz
12-15-12, 19:06
Why not buy another carrier?

Airhasz
12-15-12, 19:54

Exactly, too much BS, why make it into a science project:confused:

AKDoug
12-15-12, 20:19
I'm currently running a BCG between two of my kids' rifles due to the fact that I am on eternal backorder on a BCG I ordered last month ETA somewhere near May. I'm not willing to pay $210 for one in EE, so I will wait. Even if I was on BCM's notification list I wouldn't make it to the computer in time to get one. None available to buy locally either.

jstone
12-15-12, 20:38
Keep putting your name on the list i have been notified twice in the last week they have some in. I was inot in a position to get one. So i linked my email to my phone so next time i get the notice i won't miss it.

I talked to bcm, and they said since they manufacture there own bolt bolt carrier groups, assemble, and test fire in house they will put some up every couple days. So if you keep trying you should get one in a week or two.

AKDoug
12-15-12, 21:02
I just wish they'd let us backorder one and ship them. Is there a different list than their standard mailing list?

Sentaruu
12-15-12, 22:30
im pretty sure that bcm had their bcg's in stock yesterday. checked back this morning and they were out of stock again. you definately need to keep a close eye on them. its hard to source any quality parts now-a-days. everyone is buying them up so quickly.

catargadelendaest
12-15-12, 22:48

Oh, I certainly will.

I need a few carriers. I was just interested in shooting some new builds with FA carriers prior to my acquisition of the last parts.

catargadelendaest
12-15-12, 22:57
Exactly, too much BS, why make it into a science project:confused:

Come on.
Where's the science project?
Where's the BS?

I was just looking for a more knowledgeable, reaffirming (or dissuasive) opinion before I went ahead and started playing LEGOS with the parts. I understand that it does sometimes matter greatly what you do when you start swapping things around among weapons, handguards excluded. ;)

catargadelendaest
12-15-12, 23:02
A few weeks ago BCM offered their carrier assembly online -and it was in stock! Shortly after it went out of stock they removed their carrier assembly from their online offering.

If they still offered their carrier assembly online and had it in stock occassionally I would purchase a few.

Pappabear
12-16-12, 01:22
I did search.

I have more projects than bolt carriers.
Is there anything wrong with swapping bolt carriers among different uppers if I leave the bolt assemblies and charging handles with their respective barrelled uppers?

Thanks in advance.

You can do it and it wont hurt anything. Some folks like to marry one BCG to One Gun/barrel. And when they clean them, they dont swop them around. Its all good, just swop till you get a chance to buy a BCM for reasonable.

BufordTJustice
12-16-12, 02:40
There is nothing wrong with keeping the bolt with the barrel and swapping carriers. Check gas ring fit when you do and think about keeping a spare set of rings handy

+1

This.

The bolt and barrel extension wear together (the bolt much more than the barrel extension, obviously). I like to keep my bolts married to my barrels after anything more than a few dozen rounds downrange. That's just me. Guarantees I won't have any headspace issues down the road.

Swapping carriers is much less risky.

jstone
12-16-12, 05:10
im pretty sure that bcm had their bcg's in stock yesterday. checked back this morning and they were out of stock again. you definately need to keep a close eye on them. its hard to source any quality parts now-a-days. everyone is buying them up so quickly.

They sold out in least than 2 hours. They have come back in stock twice this week, and both time hold out in less than 2 hours. The good thing is they get them in a few times a week. You just have to ne quick to get one.

Airhasz
12-16-12, 09:45
[QUOTE=catargadelendaest;1470319]Come on.
Where's the science project?
Where's the BS?

I also intend to keep the firing pin, retainer pin, and cam pin with each bolt that remains with each barrel.

This sounds like bs & a project to me, I would just shove the BCG into the other rifles and test fire them if I must until I obtain a BCG for each weapon instead of playing musical bolts and pins.

ramsker
12-16-12, 10:01

The website says they will sell out in minutes--and that seems to be true. I managed to snag one from BCM last week, but it wasn't easy. I kept adding myself to the "notify me" box and I would either miss the email and be too late by the time I saw it or would get it and check within a few minutes and they would still be gone.

When I finally did get one, I camped on the BCG page for a couple hours late one afternoon and literally kept refreshing the page every few minutes until it popped up as "In Stock" and ordered. When I did that I also got the email notification that they were in stock . . . but that came about 8 minutes after I received email confirmation for my order. So even if you get the email that they are in stock--it may be too late to actually grab one or time may be VERY short. Just have to keep trying. If you are OCD enough you can get one. :D

AKDoug
12-16-12, 16:47
I can't find a notify me box anywhere. Hell, all I want is one to finish a rifle for my daughter. Looked at Ebay..$305!!!! is a current bid on a BCM BCG...WTF??

ramsker
12-16-12, 17:40
I can't find a notify me box anywhere. Hell, all I want is one to finish a rifle for my daughter. Looked at Ebay..$305!!!! is a current bid on a BCM BCG...WTF??

This is the page for the BCG that I used . . . if you go there look for the green text below the Add to Cart button and it will say "Email Me When Back In Stock." That will go to a page with a box to enter your email. I think you have to do that every time it goes out of stock, but I could be wrong (I kept doing it just to be safe).

But as noted, I found that if I waited for the actual email . . . I was too late by the time I got to the site. You may have better luck.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BCM+Bolt+Carrier+Group+AUTO+MP

Warp
12-16-12, 17:42

There are other BCG on there for less. There is an even a BCM BCG with a $280 buy it now with free shipping.

I don't know who bid $305, but they are not doing this intelligently.

AKDoug
12-16-12, 18:41
$280 isn't too intelligent either :D I bought a Colt for far less.

Thanks for the info on the email notification. I was clicking the "add to cart" button, not clicking on the photo of the BCG. Clicking on the photo of the BCG will get you where you need to be.

Warp
12-16-12, 18:45
$280 isn't too intelligent either :D I bought a Colt for far less.

Thanks for the info on the email notification. I was clicking the "add to cart" button, not clicking on the photo of the BCG. Clicking on the photo of the BCG will get you where you need to be.

Is it currently possible to get a Colt BCG for less than that?

Link?

Iraqgunz
12-16-12, 19:00
I saw them on Gunbroker for less than 180.00 until the CT shooting. Now they are over 200.00.

Link?

Koshinn
12-16-12, 19:04

Link?

I think scottryan has been trying to sell a colt bcg for 2 years at around $210.

Eta: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=87945

Warp
12-16-12, 19:13
I think scottryan has been trying to sell a colt bcg for 2 years at around $210.

Eta: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=87945

So what's the story there?

I find it hard to believe that, to this day, nobody would pay $210 for a Colt BCG, given the market conditions

AKDoug
12-16-12, 19:39
I have no clue as to Scott's stockpile or availability of any additional BCG's from him. However, that is who I purchased mine from.

I'm not a hoarder. I have a beautiful 13 y.o. daughter that really wants her AR done. It's almost Christmas and I'd really like to have it done by then. I've been waiting a month for other sources for less money, but to no avail.

Iraqgunz
12-16-12, 19:51
Hard to believe what? :confused:

So what's the story there?

I find it hard to believe that, to this day, nobody would pay $210 for a Colt BCG, given the market conditions

Warp
12-16-12, 20:29
I have no clue as to Scott's stockpile or availability of any additional BCG's from him. However, that is who I purchased mine from.

I'm not a hoarder. I have a beautiful 13 y.o. daughter that really wants her AR done. It's almost Christmas and I'd really like to have it done by then. I've been waiting a month for other sources for less money, but to no avail.

Are you able to sit at a computer for awhile in the evening (weekday) waiting for one to come back in stock?

Hard to believe what? :confused:

Perhaps I was mistaken. Does he have a number of these BCGs?

jstone
12-16-12, 22:38

Link?

SAW has them for 275.00. I know it is basically 280.00, but it is the only place i have seen them in stock. That was a couple days ago so they may be gone. I was not willing to pay over 500.00 for the two i need.

For that price ill take my chance on a bcm. When i hit the bcm bolt lotto i will purchase the two i need for roughly the cost of a colt BCG.

Warp
12-16-12, 23:05
SAW has them for 275.00. I know it is basically 280.00, but it is the only place i have seen them in stock. That was a couple days ago so they may be gone. I was not willing to pay over 500.00 for the two i need.

For that price ill take my chance on a bcm. When i hit the bcm bolt lotto i will purchase the two i need for roughly the cost of a colt BCG.

Is there shipping on that $275? The $280 BCM BCG I referenced is free shipping...and is a BCM.

jstone
12-17-12, 00:23
Is there shipping on that $275? The $280 BCM BCG I referenced is free shipping...and is a BCM.

Im pretty sure there is shipping. I dis not realize the bcm you were speaking of had free shipping.

Warp
12-17-12, 00:47
Isn't it sad we're talking about maybe $280 for a BCG is a good option right now? :(

AKDoug
12-17-12, 00:58
Are you able to sit at a computer for awhile in the evening (weekday) waiting for one to come back in stock? Evening for them is mid afternoon for me. That's about the time I don't have time to be online. When do they usually pop up? After close of business for them or in the morning?

Warp
12-17-12, 01:23
Evening for them is mid afternoon for me. That's about the time I don't have time to be online. When do they usually pop up? After close of business for them or in the morning?

Didn't see the Alaska part.

More likely in the evening around the end of the business day Eastern time

AKDoug
12-17-12, 01:27
Thanks for the info.

jstone
12-17-12, 01:42
Isn't it sad we're talking about maybe $280 for a BCG is a good option right now? :(

Its ridiculous. I will not pay more than what bcm charges. Right now i have the time to sit at at the computer and refresh until they come in. If i just did not just buy over a grand worth of new reloading equipment. I would buy ten or fifteen at a time, and sell them here to members for 169.00.

I can't work right now so i have the time. Ill be on the computer until i can get the two i need. If i could only find a way to do it for members.

Iraqgunz
12-17-12, 05:29
I have 10 BCM BCG's sitting on my kitchen table. Just finished getting the logos engraved on them. Once they hit 300.00 each I will sell them off.

No, it's not hard to imagine he has some. I know guys right now with dozens of BCG's and uppers and everything else in their stash rooms.

Are you able to sit at a computer for awhile in the evening (weekday) waiting for one to come back in stock?

Perhaps I was mistaken. Does he have a number of these BCGs?

markm
12-17-12, 09:22
Shit! Sold a Picture of a BCM bolt group for $50 last night! :D

Airhasz
12-17-12, 09:37
Shit! Sold a Picture of a BCM bolt group for $50 last night! :D

You gotta stop taking advantage of Papabear like that...;)

markm
12-17-12, 09:39
You gotta stop taking advantage of Papabear like that...;)

He took the pic to Robar for NP3. :p

Airhasz
12-17-12, 09:45

That's too much..:D

MrSmitty
12-17-12, 11:24
I read in another thread that BCM updates their page between 1730-1800 EST.

Now that is some good shit...

Pappabear
12-17-12, 11:28
I Robar'd the Business end of my Business for Christmas.
Its the gift that keeps on giving.

5 Colt 6920's or Bust

Donut
12-17-12, 12:32
Not sure if this helps at all, but Brownell's has some FA carriers in stock for, i believe, $69 right now.

catargadelendaest
12-17-12, 12:40
I am literally in the midst of checking out for a brownell's purchase.
I think I'll postpone the checkout and continue shopping.

THANKS!

Edit:
I looked. I saw a DPMS carrier (w/o key) for $69, in stock. I also saw Colt carrier assembly at $229, out of stock.
I'll wait.

Donut
12-17-12, 12:49
Glad to help. :)

SFW
12-17-12, 14:21
Welcome to the great hunt. I have a PSA upper coming in later this week, and haven't been able to find a BCG in stock in a bout a week. At least not at a price I am willing to pay.

SFW
12-19-12, 21:36
Well, it took some hunting, and several different websites, but I ended up piecing together a Les Bear BCG. It's not Mil-Spec in material(not carpenter steel), but it will work until the craze subsides and I can get a BCM.

dseduce
12-20-12, 03:01
I have never seen it hurt a gun...my bolt face cracked during deployment and my armorer just pulled one from an m4 that was trashed by an ied...worked fine with no problems.