PDA

View Full Version : ATI Forends... Anyone have one?

Fraggster
12-15-12, 20:46
Hi everyone,

First time poster, but I love this site. It's been a plethora of good and useful information, as well as a big loss of saliva over some awesome builds. I just want to say thanks to everyone for that.

Anyways, I'm planing on building a SPR-type rifle inspired by Nutnfancy's build here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Vg1lNktJBY&playnext=1&list=PLfAswvWu8XRhjPBlQdQxlt1TA-1_bz669&feature=results_video). I've thought about what I want, and after careful consideration, I've come up with my list of parts that I want. 18" Stainless steel barrel, a nice piece of glass, a decent trigger, other goodies... etc. As I am making my parts list, I am researching what hand guard/ forend I want on this rifle.

I've done the Google searches, and though I saw Sootch00's review on it, I want more info. So....

Has anyone ever used this ATI forend (http://www.atigunstocks.com/forends/442-ar-15-aluminum-8-sided-rifle-length-free-float-forend-and-utility-rail-package-.html) on their AR? It's got everything I want out of a forend. It's light (9.3 oz!!!!), is modular, and not filled with picatinny rails. I've got a Ruger SR556, and it's heavy. Really heavy, especially with a red dot, light, and vert grip. With my new build, I'm trying to make the gun as light as possible, and this would work wonders.

If you do have one, what do you like about it? How sturdy are the rail segments? How hot does your weapon get? What are some things that you dislike? Would you recommend this over say, a VTAC-JP or Troy-VTAC handguard?

Thanks for an awesome community. Keep up the good work.

Frag

VIP3R 237
12-15-12, 21:01
The Ruger uses a unique forearm that makes it problematic to use any others, i personally would make sure your rifle is compatible with this forearm before purchasing.

DeAdeYE15
12-16-12, 08:53
The Ruger may not be the best platform for your planned SPR. Mainly because of the proprietary forend as already mentioned. I'm not aware of any aftermarket rails that are adaptable with the Ruger, except there own rail-less forend witch may not be a bad idea for what your looking for.

As far as the ATI rail I've had no experience with them, and I never will. I personally wouldn't even consider putting anything ATI on my rifle.

seb5
12-16-12, 08:54
The Ruger uses a unique forearm that makes it problematic to use any others, i personally would make sure your rifle is compatible with this forearm before purchasing.

Ummm, he's building a new rifle. Re read his post.

OP, if you want a LW why not go that way. Generally, precision and LW are hard to get in the same rifle. I can't help you with you fore end. I use Centurions and Troy tubes on all of my builds.

djmorris
12-16-12, 09:44
My advice would be stop watching/listening to "nutnfancy". The guy has absolutely no idea what he is talking about in regards to firearms and just spouts off a bunch of bullshit to try and make himself sound intelligent.

I'd never put anything ATI on my AR, either.

I think you should keep your Ruger the way it is for the most part and if you want an SPR then do a separate build. It's not worth putting a new barrel and everything else in it.

You're going to be spending so much on this project that you could easily piece together a 20" PSA SPR. A completely separate build from PSA in this kind of configuration will run you right around $700 for the complete rifle with the basics. PSA will also be a much higher quality weapon than anything you would ever see in a "nutnfancy" video and be plenty accurate.

Probably not what you wanted to hear but it's so, so very foolish to dump hundreds of dollars into this Ruger based on a "nutnfancy" video. That guy is not one to take advice from.

EDIT: My bad - I thought you were going to be modifying your Ruger. Just get the Troy Alpha Rail. It's perfect for an SPR, weighs around 8-11oz depending on the length, and it's way higher quality than an ATI for the same price if you shop around.

DeAdeYE15
12-16-12, 09:48

OP, if you want a LW why not go that way. Generally, precision and LW are hard to get in the same rifle. I can't help you with you fore end. I use Centurions and Troy tubes on all of my builds.

I've got a Ruger SR556, and it's heavy. Really heavy, especially with a red dot, light, and vert grip. I'm trying to make the gun as light as possible

From this comment I also thought he was talking about the Ruger.

VIP3R 237
12-16-12, 10:44

Oops my bad. I was assuming he was planning on using the Ruger due to this.

Has anyone ever used this ATI forend (http://www.atigunstocks.com/forends/442-ar-15-aluminum-8-sided-rifle-length-free-float-forend-and-utility-rail-package-.html) on their AR? It's got everything I want out of a forend. It's light (9.3 oz!!!!), is modular, and not filled with picatinny rails. I've got a Ruger SR556, and it's heavy. Really heavy, especially with a red dot, light, and vert grip. I'm trying to make the gun as light as possible, and this plus a fluted barrel would work

Fraggster
12-16-12, 11:24
To clarify, I'm building a new rifle from the ground up. I plan on keeping my Ruger exactly the way it is. I'll edit my OP to reflect that.

easily[/B] piece together a 20" PSA SPR. A completely separate build from PSA in this kind of configuration will run you right around $700 for the complete rifle with the basics. PSA will also be a much higher quality weapon than anything you would ever see in a "nutnfancy" video and be plenty accurate.
EDIT: My bad - I thought you were going to be modifying your Ruger. Just get the Troy Alpha Rail. It's perfect for an SPR, weighs around 8-11oz depending on the length, and it's way higher quality than an ATI for the same price if you shop around.

djmorris: I'll definitely take a look into the PSA. I was planning on getting a BCM 18" barrel, but if I can get the 20" for the same price as just the barrel and upper (without the gas system included), then that would work better. Thanks.

The_Hammer_Man
12-16-12, 12:07
ATI=

Airsoft

Toys

Ick!

All joking aside ATI is below even what we, here on M4C.net consider tier 3 products.

Personally I'd rather see you with one of those heavy as hell DPMS tubes on your wep rather than the ATI product.

DeAdeYE15
12-16-12, 12:08
To clarify, I'm building a new rifle from the ground up. I plan on keeping my Ruger exactly the way it is. I'll edit my OP to reflect that.

djmorris: I'll definitely take a look into the PSA. I was planning on getting a BCM 18" barrel, but if I can get the 20" for the same price as just the barrel and upper (without the gas system included), then that would work better. Thanks.

Then slap a 13" or 15" Troy Alpha, or VTAC Alpha on that sucker. Forget about ATI!

MistWolf
12-16-12, 12:39
...Generally, precision and LW are hard to get in the same rifle...

Not true. Accuracy in an AR comes from barrel quality, a good chamber, a good fitting bolt, a free float tube and using using quality ammo.

The most important part of assembling a precision type rifle for actual field use is choice of optic. For example, a 14.5" carbine with an 8x32 Nightforce is better suited to long range engagements than a 20" rifle with a T1 Aimpoint, while the 20" rifle with Aimpoint is better for close shots.

Heavier profile barrels do have the advantage of better heat control and stiffness, but would have little practical advantage over the lighter barrels. (That might be different for a military SPR that might see a higher rate of fire during combat.) In benchrest competition, the small differences in group size and consistency between light barrels and heavy barrels will be noticeable to a competitive shooter. But not out in the field.

If one were to assemble an AR with a lightweight or sporter weight match barrel, matched bolt, free float tube and quality optic, it would fill the role as an SPR quite well

djmorris
12-16-12, 12:45

If you were already looking into BCM then by all means I would recommend BCM over PSA any day. Then again the difference in a stripped barrel will probably be minimal but who knows. BCM does sell some of the nicest barrels you're likely to find. I was just under the impression that you were replacing the barrel on your Ruger.

Fraggster
12-16-12, 13:13
Mistwolf, thanks for the great input.

Honestly, I've seen a lot of "DMR", "SPR" "Mk12" rifles, but honestly the concept interests me more than anything. I'm no longer military, and I never was or claim to be SF, or even infantry for that matter. What I want from this rifle is something I can take hunting, or to the 300+ yard range. I'm set for home defense, and I want something fun, and something I can put together, and especially something lightweight like the M16's I used to carry while on security watches. Quality is important, and so is everything I put on the gun.

So... that said, I will seriously consider the PSA 20" and a Troy Alpha rail, though it is second to BCM's 18" Recce model, at this point. Of course, I may just go a completely different barrel on a BCM blemished upper and a PSA blemished lower. I haven't bought anything yet, and I really look forward to building it and sharing the product of your knowledge with you guys.

Fraggster
12-16-12, 13:16
Also, djmorris, Don't worry about it bro, I don't want to do anything to my Ruger, it's a fine rifle, but I can do better second time around.

MistWolf
12-16-12, 13:24
Mistwolf, thanks for the great input.

Honestly, I've seen a lot of "DMR", "SPR" "Mk12" rifles, but honestly the concept interests me more than anything. I'm no longer military, and I never was or claim to be SF, or even infantry for that matter. What I want from this rifle is something I can take hunting, or to the 300+ yard range. I'm set for home defense, and I want something fun, and something I can put together, and especially something lightweight like the M16's I used to carry while on security watches. Quality is important, and so is everything I put on the gun.

So... that said, I will seriously consider the PSA 20" and a Troy Alpha rail, though it is second to BCM's 18" Recce model, at this point. Of course, I may just go a completely different barrel on a BCM blemished upper and a PSA blemished lower. I haven't bought anything yet, and I really look forward building it and sharing the product of your knowledge to you guys.

The 20" PSA will certainly work. Remember, barrel profile has a lot to do with how much the rifle finally weighs. Pick a lighter weight profile for a lightweight rifle, especially if the barrel is 20".

This is my carbine. As it is, I can take shots out to 300 yards or more. If I were to swap out the Aimpoint with a low powered variable, it would work even better at the longer ranges
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/Carbine.jpg

The point is, you do not have to over-think your choices

totenkopf_u64
12-16-12, 13:33
OP, have you considered just buying a mount and glass made for 300-600m and putting it on your current rifle? With factory match ammo (or just factory even) you might be surprised at what it can do. Plus, if you're set on an SPR you're going to be buying that stuff anyway so you won't be out any extra money but it could give you valuable insight on what you need from your new rifle.

Honestly, I think good glass, a geissele trigger, and free float rail might be able to make a respectable SPR out of any decent AR. Maybe someone else can chime in on that thought?

seb5
12-16-12, 14:50
Not true. Accuracy in an AR comes from barrel quality, a good chamber, a good fitting bolt, a free float tube and using using quality ammo.

The most important part of assembling a precision type rifle for actual field use is choice of optic. For example, a 14.5" carbine with an 8x32 Nightforce is better suited to long range engagements than a 20" rifle with a T1 Aimpoint, while the 20" rifle with Aimpoint is better for close shots.

Heavier profile barrels do have the advantage of better heat control and stiffness, but would have little practical advantage over the lighter barrels. (That might be different for a military SPR that might see a higher rate of fire during combat.) In benchrest competition, the small differences in group size and consistency between light barrels and heavy barrels will be noticeable to a competitive shooter. But not out in the field.

If one were to assemble an AR with a lightweight or sporter weight match barrel, matched bolt, free float tube and quality optic, it would fill the role as an SPR quite well

Mistwolf,

There's not anything above that you posted that I really disagree with. However, for most applications I stand by what I wrote.
I've used many different match barrels over the years for various AR builds. As far as a cold bore shot, certainly, but as far as banging away on steel for 20, 40, 100+ rounds in a setting, no way.

OP, Rainier has Noveske 18" LW SS barrels in stock if that's what you desire. They're great barrels and a friend recently built a rifle with this barrel. When we're banging steel at 400-600 yards he can't stay with my 16" Recon barreled rifle, or even the 14.5 fluted Noveske SS barreled builds I have for very long. As far as a true SPR or hunting rifle you'd be good to go. Just stay away from high round count strings.

DeAdeYE15
12-16-12, 14:54
OP, have you considered just buying a mount and glass made for 300-600m and putting it on your current rifle? With factory match ammo (or just factory even) you might be surprised at what it can do. Plus, if you're set on an SPR you're going to be buying that stuff anyway so you won't be out any extra money but it could give you valuable insight on what you need from your new rifle.

Honestly, I think good glass, a geissele trigger, and free float rail might be able to make a respectable SPR out of any decent AR. Maybe someone else can chime in on that thought?

This, your Ruger will go a long way toward fulfilling what your wanting from an SPR. Except with just a little bit of carrier tilt maybe.

Fraggster
12-16-12, 20:12
Deadeye, they've actually worked out most of the carrier tilt in the later models via a redesigned bolt carrier group. It's rounded at the end, instead of the "squareness" of some BCG's.
I wish I had access to my rifle, then I could show you.
Mistwolf, I'll definitely think about about the PSA, it's a definite option that I'll consider. Nothing like having options, which is one of the main lessons I've taken from this site.
Seb5, ditto for you.
@Totenkopf, I've actually already done that. As I've said before, I love my Ruger, but my main problem is the weight. I've put a decent scope on it (don't remember the power or the maker, probably 4-30-ish by 50mm by Bushnell or Burris), and with the scope attached, the rifle is uncomfortably heavy. The rifle alone weighs 7.5 alone! Plus shooting off a single mag gets the gun really hot and makes it uncomfortable to hold while shooting. That gas block is radiator, and it transfers a lot of heat to the rails. I know heat comes with the territory, but I never had any problems holding onto M16's, even after firing a couple mags.

MistWolf
12-17-12, 01:05
Mistwolf,

There's not anything above that you posted that I really disagree with. However, for most applications I stand by what I wrote.
I've used many different match barrels over the years for various AR builds. As far as a cold bore shot, certainly, but as far as banging away on steel for 20, 40, 100+ rounds in a setting, no way.

OP, Rainier has Noveske 18" LW SS barrels in stock if that's what you desire. They're great barrels and a friend recently built a rifle with this barrel. When we're banging steel at 400-600 yards he can't stay with my 16" Recon barreled rifle, or even the 14.5 fluted Noveske SS barreled builds I have for very long. As far as a true SPR or hunting rifle you'd be good to go. Just stay away from high round count strings.

I agree that heavier profile barrels have the advantage controlling heat. Lighter barrels will heat up with fewer rounds fired

Magic_Salad0892
12-17-12, 03:14
Trueing the reciever, fitting the bolt, can help turn even a CL mil-spec barrel into an MOA/sub-MOA gun.

Some Colt M4A1 barrels are sub-MOA from factory. As are many nitride barrels.

smoky
12-17-12, 06:47
If you want advice on building a quality rifle, get your information from here. All nutnfancy is concerned about is Duracoat, putting a bunch of tactical stuff on his guns,trying to look like an operator, and talking your ear off about a gun he has never really shot.

DeAdeYE15
12-17-12, 06:57
If you want advice on building a quality rifle, get your information from here. All nutnfancy is concerned about is Duracoat, putting a bunch of tactical stuff on his guns,trying to look like an operator, and talking your ear off about a gun he has never really shot.

Agreed, a huge wannabe. nutnfancy is just a kid playing with toys. Not an Operator training and evaluating tools.

smoky
12-17-12, 07:07
Agreed, a huge wannabe. nutnfancy is just a kid playing with toys. Not an Operator training and evaluating tools.

Well put sir