PDA

View Full Version : Sig 220 "made in Germany"

Arik
12-16-12, 01:20
I've been looking for a 45 single stack and came across a Sig 220 which read "made in Germany" and "Sigarms" some city NH. And a S&W 4566.

Both are used police guns. Sig had a good trigger and weight but the Smith was cheaper. $499 vs $389.

I know there is not a lot of love for Sigs here but im not sure of what to make of the "Made in Germany" and "New Hampshire" at the same time.

This would be for EDC.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

hickuleas
12-16-12, 02:39
Sounds like a German made gun imported through Sig of New Hampshire. When they were great pistols.

Arik
12-16-12, 06:49
Yea but there are no german markings on it.

filthy phil
12-16-12, 07:13
i've had a couple that were marked west germany
supposedly former cop guns
got them for $425 +or-
great shooters

gunnut284
12-16-12, 08:32
Sig's US headquarters are in Exeter, NH and the guns are marked to indicate their importer/manufacturer location so it will say NH whether it was made there or imported through there. Some Sigs at one time were marked "frame made in Germany". I don't recall if the 220 was one of them. Those guns had US made slides on German frames. If it just says "made in Germany" then it should be at least largely German made parts. Does it have the older stamped slide or the machined stainless slide?

ICANHITHIMMAN
12-16-12, 09:43
I got mine in 2001 it has proof marks on the slide

ccosby
12-16-12, 10:25
Sig's US headquarters are in Exeter, NH and the guns are marked to indicate their importer/manufacturer location so it will say NH whether it was made there or imported through there. Some Sigs at one time were marked "frame made in Germany". I don't recall if the 220 was one of them. Those guns had US made slides on German frames. If it just says "made in Germany" then it should be at least largely German made parts. Does it have the older stamped slide or the machined stainless slide?

Yes sig did mark some of the p220 frames with "FRAME MADE IN GERMANY" Mine from a few years ago is marked like that. Couldn't tell you what my slide had said though. It was one of the ones with an internal extractor(which I never had a problem with). I sent the gun back to sig for a promotion they had to get it upgraded some and they swapped my slide for one with an external extractor.

rpm2010
12-16-12, 10:55
If the slide (carbon steel w/breech block) is marked made in Germany and the frame is not, most likely it is a hybrid. Slide/Barrel made in Germany, frame/gun assembled in the US. Considered by many to be some of the best made SIGs (mid to late 90's), with an improved slide. The NH is the import mark.

This link may provide some insight.

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/4000073303?r=7850046303#7850046303

Arik
12-16-12, 11:29
If the slide (carbon steel w/breech block) is marked made in Germany and the frame is not, most likely it is a hybrid. Slide/Barrel made in Germany, frame/gun assembled in the US. Considered by many to be some of the best made SIGs (mid to late 90's), with an improved slide. The NH is the import mark.

This link may provide some insight.

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/4000073303?r=7850046303#7850046303

That sounds right because ive seen the ones marked "frame made in Germany" but this one is only marked on the slide.

My other question is.... could I still get parts for it. Ive read that Sig likes to make small changes as they go and discontinue older parts

rpm2010
12-16-12, 13:51
Your best bet would be to put in a WTB ad in Sig Forum (classifieds), not sure if you're a member of that forum, but it couldn't hurt to become one since you now own a SIG (or will soon). I can't think of a better place to find parts for the older guns like yours. A lot of the members want to keep their guns MIM free. I was surprised to see SIG replaced that guys (ccosby) slide with one with an external extractor, wonder if they kept the slide or gave it back to him, like they do old parts that are replaced. Wouldn't seem right to me if they replaced it and kept the older slide. Who knows, maybe that's how they get parts for the CPO's.

ccosby
12-16-12, 20:24
Your best bet would be to put in a WTB ad in Sig Forum (classifieds), not sure if you're a member of that forum, but it couldn't hurt to become one since you now own a SIG (or will soon). I can't think of a better place to find parts for the older guns like yours. A lot of the members want to keep their guns MIM free. I was surprised to see SIG replaced that guys (ccosby) slide with one with an external extractor, wonder if they kept the slide or gave it back to him, like they do old parts that are replaced. Wouldn't seem right to me if they replaced it and kept the older slide. Who knows, maybe that's how they get parts for the CPO's.

To answer your question those assholes claim they haven't replaced the slide. They marked the paperwork with extractor upgrade though. They did not return my old slide which kinda sucks as the gun now doesn't match serial wise(since the slide now has a different serial). This was like 2 weeks ago, haven't had a chance to take the gun out yet but as long as it runs I don't care. They did however send me things like the firing pin and sights off the old slide back. From my understanding the external extractor really is an improvement but I had 2 or 3k rounds through it without issue.

I sent the gun in for their works package which was on sale and had them put the short reset trigger on the gun. So for around 200 shipped it was supposed to get the reset upgrade, all springs and small wear parts replaced, and new night sights installed.

rpm2010
12-16-12, 22:07
That is surprising, but things happen (fix something that's not broken). As long as you're ok with that. Now that I've thought about it, I sent my old W. German 220 years back for what sounds like the same package, when it came back the the feed ramp was replaced with a stainless one, and I wasn't have any feed problems, as I recall it was a couple of the new mags (10 rd.) that I bought from Sig that was the problem (to me). Looked weird as the original ramp was blued, and now it was bright stainless in a all black gun. But it's worked fine all these years and I've not noticed it since, (as long as the gun goes boom every time I pull the trigger). So I guess the smith's are given leeway and the price of the package is very reasonable. Good shooting!

ccosby
12-16-12, 23:05
That is surprising, but things happen (fix something that's not broken). As long as you're ok with that. Now that I've thought about it, I sent my old W. German 220 years back for what sounds like the same package, when it came back the the feed ramp was replaced with a stainless one, and I wasn't have any feed problems, as I recall it was a couple of the new mags (10 rd.) that I bought from Sig that was the problem (to me). Looked weird as the original ramp was blued, and now it was bright stainless in a all black gun. But it's worked fine all these years and I've not noticed it since, (as long as the gun goes boom every time I pull the trigger). So I guess the smith's are given leeway and the price of the package is very reasonable. Good shooting!

Yea for the price of night sights they give the gun a once over and put them on, pretty reasonable to me.

I read that they lost some contracts due to that internal extractor because it caused some many problems. In the end them upgrading it to the more reliable one while they were doing other stuff isn't a problem for me. I was kinda ticked off when I called them to try to figure out why they replaced the slide and they couldn't tell me though. I don't plan on selling the gun anytime soon(I like it) so the value doesn't really matter although I do wonder if it lost value or gained it with the replacement slide. On one hand it now is not a numbers matching gun, on the other sig themselves replaced it with an upgraded version.

I guess I should say sorry to the OP as I've derailed the thread some. Personally OP I like the metal semi auto smith and wessons although I think parts and magazines are going to be easier to get for the sig. I personally have a 1006 sw gun(10mm) that I really like. As others have said with the marks even if the gun was imported you will see the US marks on it.

Arik
12-17-12, 22:22
No problemo!

At this point im debating whether its worth sinking money into a new gun, especially a $500 gun. Maybe just ammo and mags for what i already have.