PDA

View Full Version : CCW where it's prohibited?

rushca01
12-16-12, 10:14
Well would you risk breaking your states CCW laws and carry anyways in areas that ban carry? I'm not advocating this one way or the other, just curious what people's opinions on this would be.

Example, the church I go to is connected to the ellementray school and there is one service on Sunday that is held in the school gym.. Would you CCW to protect your family even though you can't carry on school property?

ralph
12-16-12, 11:00
Show me a "Gun-free zone" law that has actually worked...All of them have failed, The lives of your family are more important than any law designed primarily for control.. Show me someone who's decided he's going on a killing spree that obeys these laws..(Oh, I can't go in there and kill people, I'm not allowed to have a gun in there..)The question is, if something did happen, would you rather be carrying and then be able to do something about it, or would you rather hide in a closet and hope you don't get found? I'd carry, and keep quiet about it..If something would happen (God forbid) take action, and worry about the laws later...

Lincoln7
12-16-12, 11:01
Are you asking people to openly admit to breaking the law?

sammage
12-16-12, 12:23
Are you asking people to openly admit to breaking the law?

No kidding. Can anyone tell me what the first C in CCW stands for?

rushca01
12-16-12, 12:28
Guys, I am not asking you to:
Give first and last name
Home address etc...

I'm simply asking would ccw in a place that has signs posted no handguns allowed in favor of protecting yourself or your family. Hypotheticaly would you ignore said sign.

Don't make it more diffult than that it is jeeze:rolleyes:

AKDoug
12-16-12, 12:59
It's pretty easy to figure out who I am from a simple google search and spending a bit of time reading. I've used this screen name for numerous forums over the last 15 years.

If you are involved in a shooting you can almost guarantee that your computer will be checked and your posts on these forums will be reviewed. Which is why I am pretty careful on what I say regarding on these boards.

That said, I have no issue admitting that I don't read signs on doors leading into businesses very often.

Wake27
12-16-12, 13:08
I try to avoid those places as much as possible. One of theories theaters by me has a sign posted, another one doesn't. Obviously I go to the second one. But it's not always that easy, so you just have to be smart.

TAZ
12-16-12, 13:20
I avoid those places like the plague. In all other instances I obey local laws and regs.

C4IGrant
12-16-12, 13:34
There are two (basic) restrictions for carrying a firearm. One restriction has the penalty of a felony and the other restriction is nothing more than trespassing. I have no concern about being charged with trespassing.

Being charged with a Felony is entirely different and you will have to figure out what is more important to YOU.

C4

montanadave
12-16-12, 13:45
I am not going to carry in a location where Montana law specifically prohibits it.

Lincoln7
12-16-12, 13:57
There are two (basic) restrictions for carrying a firearm. One restriction has the penalty of a felony and the other restriction is nothing more than trespassing. I have no concern about being charged with trespassing.

Being charged with a Felony is entirely different and you will have to figure out what is more important to YOU.

C4
Exactly. You have to determine if 'no carry' signs in your state hold the force of law or not.

ICANHITHIMMAN
12-16-12, 13:58
I carry EVERYWHERE, sometimes its in violation but I don't care! Know one knows and I want to live!

MountainRaven
12-16-12, 14:50
I am not going to carry in a location where Montana law specifically prohibits it.

This plus everywhere that Federal law prohibits it (airports, post offices, &c.).

I'll carry everywhere else.

Hmac
12-16-12, 14:57
I routinely ignore signs in this state that ban firearms on various business premises, but here those signs don't have the force of law. You can't be charged with trespassing unless the store personnel ask you to leave and you refuse. And if you do refuse to leave and are charged with trespassing, the fine is $25, no court costs, and they can't confiscate your gun. Essentially, such signs in this state are nothing more than notification that if they do see that you are carrying a pistol, they will probably ask you to leave. All the more reason to carry it concealed.

Carrying on school grounds here isn't a felony if you have a permit. Bars, churches, etc aren't restricted in any way.

We have a pretty reasonable set of personal protection laws. OTOH, possession of a suppressor is a felony.

Lincoln7
12-16-12, 15:15
This plus everywhere that Federal law prohibits it (airports, post offices, &c.).

I'll carry everywhere else.
Airport carry is not Federally regulated.

krm375
12-16-12, 15:20
the iphone App called posted that says what places you can and cant carry in.

Reagans Rascals
12-16-12, 15:27
better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

if the situation should so arise where you have to utilize your CCW to save your life or someone else's.... and it just so happens that situation occurred in a location that forbids concealed carry... then that's just tough titties for that place and its owners... you did what needed to be done... and unless you were negligent and got others killed or killed innocents... you are golden... the NRA will go to bat for you 100%

MountainRaven
12-16-12, 15:38

Learn something every day!

glocktogo
12-16-12, 15:39
Guys, I am not asking you to:
Give first and last name
Home address etc...

I'm simply asking would ccw in a place that has signs posted no handguns allowed in favor of protecting yourself or your family. Hypotheticaly would you ignore said sign.

Don't make it more diffult than that it is jeeze:rolleyes:

It's not a hypothetical in Oklahoma. The OK Self Defense Act allows public places to post that weapons are prohibited, but unlike the 30.06 laws in Texas, they don't carry the weight of law. I routinely ignore those signs and I've never had an issue. Why? because the only way they're going to know I'm packing is if I shoot a felonious attacker. At that point I could really care less what their signs said!

glocktogo
12-16-12, 15:43

Yes it is, but only in Sterile and Secured Areas. Areas in Category X-IV airports that are located on the public side of security access controls are not, but TSA is on record supporting local and state ordinances that prohibit airport carry on the public side.

Warp
12-16-12, 17:46
Well would you risk breaking your states CCW laws and carry anyways in areas that ban carry?

I would and have.

No kidding. Can anyone tell me what the first C in CCW stands for?

I don't have "CCW". I have a "Georgia Weapons License" and it allows me to carry weapons, such as handguns. I may conceal them if I want, but I don't have to

The word concealed appears nowhere on the license

Hmac
12-16-12, 17:52
I don't have "CCW". I have a "Georgia Weapons License" and it allows me to carry weapons, such as handguns. I may conceal them if I want, but I don't have to

The word concealed appears nowhere on the license

Minnesota too. It's a Handgun Permit. Carrying concealed is smarter, but not required.