PDA

View Full Version : TX Hog Hunt

Rob Haught
12-16-12, 13:41
I just returned from several days at the Circle WC Ranch in Texas. Owned by good friend Bill Wilson of Wilson Combat fame, the Circle WC has approximately 14,000 acres of land to hunt a variety of TX wildlife.

Bill has all the amenities, a complete lodge for visiting hunters that has a taxidermy display that brings Cabelas to tears, a variety of hunting vehicles from Jeeps to ATV and SBS's. A range for handgun and carbine shooting and a longer 600 yd range for rifle work.

His main staple is hog hunting. With a large resident population of hogs on the property there are always opportunities to take a decent pig. I was there for a week and saw about a hundred all told. The deer herd on the ranch is under a good management program and I saw several nice bucks that back in WV would have been topics for conversation for a long time.

I was able to take two nice boars. One with my little Ruger compact 308 using 168 Barnes TTX bullets and one at night with Bills 458 SOCOM carbine with night vision. Night hunting for hogs and varmints is legal in TX and we took full advantage of it.

Anyone interested should be aware that this is not a place where every pig is shot on sight. There is a management system in place and the hunts are for trophy size pigs and the hunter is also allotted a meat hog as well. Check them out at circlewcranch.com

ccoker
12-17-12, 19:42
as soon as I read the headline I knew where you went..

Bill invited me a few years ago, man, what a treat.
Couldn't ask for a nicer host.

Rob Haught
12-21-12, 21:28
as soon as I read the headline I knew where you went..

Bill invited me a few years ago, man, what a treat.
Couldn't ask for a nicer host.

You should see it now!!

murphman
12-26-12, 13:38
Just curious is that ranch invite only?

ccoker
12-27-12, 16:39
invite as a guest or pay

Bill invited me and my son a few years ago after we were discussing 6.8 SPC load development via the TexasBoars forum..

Couldn't have been a nicer guy and accommodating host.
I screwed up and brought the wrong damned beer though !