PDA

View Full Version : Old 223 neck tension

Spiffums
12-17-12, 05:49
I have a ton of old yellow box Norinico ammo. About half of it wants to set up when the tip hits the feed ramps. I have never reloaded for rifle but was wondering if there is anyways to "fix" these rounds. Like running them through a seater/crimp die or something like a Lee Factory Crimp Die for a rifle, if there is such a beast.

markm
12-17-12, 07:02
I have a ton of old yellow box Norinico ammo. About half of it wants to set up when the tip hits the feed ramps.

What does "set up" mean? Set back maybe?

Yes you can run loaded ammo through a LEE FCD die. I've done this with UMC back when they had big neck tension problems. But I've never heard of this with Norinco, and am wondering if there isn't a weapon issue here. :confused:

Spiffums
12-17-12, 09:23
What does "set up" mean? Set back maybe?

Yes you can run loaded ammo through a LEE FCD die. I've done this with UMC back when they had big neck tension problems. But I've never heard of this with Norinco, and am wondering if there isn't a weapon issue here. :confused:

Yes I meant setback. Not a weapon issue as it feeds everything else and the Norinco does it with my other 2 ARs. This ammo is from Y2K and the cheap stuff to start with.

markm
12-17-12, 09:38
Odd. I've not heard of this with norinco.

I've seen this with ammo that's been stored in excess humidity and the cases have actually deteriorated though...

But in any case, yes... you can crimp that stuff.

Spiffums
12-17-12, 18:35
It has been in a "security cabinet" from wally world beside my safe in the basement for years now. I made some plywood shelves for them and they haven't been subjected to anything the PMC hasn't been.

I'll probably get me a FCD and run them through it.