PDA

View Full Version : So the CG at Fort Richardson Alaska says burn them

ICANHITHIMMAN
12-17-12, 12:16
So my brother just got home on leave after his first deployment. He was ordered to turn in his new multicam uniforms for "destruction". Is anyone else stationed up there? Have you heard this as well?

He was told by his CO that the base CG Major General Michael X. Garrett does not want the uniforms sold on the open market locally there in Alaska, so he ordered there destruction. If that's is true, isn't is waste fraud and abuse to burn serviceable gear? It makes no since to me at all.

Mauser KAR98K
12-17-12, 12:27
I don't know about rules and waste, but if my understanding of the CG is correct, then i want to be in the Army/navy surplus store he walks in just to see if a man can in fact shit a brick.

Wake27
12-17-12, 13:25
The sounds like high level officer thinking. Why the hell does it matter?

LowSpeed_HighDrag
12-17-12, 13:40
Gear accountability. If you cant keep track of the gear, just destroy it all. Sounds like a plan stan.

sammage
12-17-12, 14:07
Gear accountability. If you cant keep track of the gear, just destroy it all. Sounds like a plan stan.

Destroyed and secured are almost the same thing, right? Close enough.

theblackknight
12-17-12, 14:25
Maybe he knows better then to deal with DRMO

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lnwltqhA7R1qzj7lm.png

alienb1212
12-17-12, 18:27
Maybe he knows better then to deal with DRMO

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lnwltqhA7R1qzj7lm.png

This.

ICANHITHIMMAN
12-17-12, 21:11
So you guys support this line of thinking?

Kfgk14
12-17-12, 21:22
So you guys support this line of thinking?

Probably just easier than dealing with the bureaucratic bullshit associated with logical action in any government-associated operation.

Belmont31R
12-17-12, 22:22
Millions worth of stuff probably gets thrown away everyday that is perfectly good.

ICANHITHIMMAN
12-17-12, 22:44
Millions worth of stuff probably gets thrown away everyday that is perfectly good.

it bothers me like serve mart

SteyrAUG
12-18-12, 00:14
I still remember my Grandfather telling me about the B-24 he served on "Hot Matilda", being lined up on a field with about 100 other B-24s and having been stripped of engines, guns, etc. all being bulldozed into scrap.

He was stunned that such planes were converted to commercial use and sold for more than the price of their scrap metal to help recoup the costs of the war.

I remember watching a documentary where barges of M1s and boxes of .30 ammo were simply dumped into the Sea of Japan rather than returned stateside or used in theater for the occupation.

ICANHITHIMMAN
12-18-12, 09:51
I still remember my Grandfather telling me about the B-24 he served on "Hot Matilda", being lined up on a field with about 100 other B-24s and having been stripped of engines, guns, etc. all being bulldozed into scrap.

He was stunned that such planes were converted to commercial use and sold for more than the price of their scrap metal to help recoup the costs of the war.

I remember watching a documentary where barges of M1s and boxes of .30 ammo were simply dumped into the Sea of Japan rather than returned stateside or used in theater for the occupation.

ya I have heard such stories, it makes me mad I guess there is money that can be recouped in the resale of such items.

Todd00000
12-18-12, 10:00
Maybe they are trying to prevent them from being sent overseas, but if they are still new they can be returned to the supply system. I question the accuracy of this report.

ICANHITHIMMAN
12-18-12, 10:18
Maybe they are trying to prevent them from being sent overseas, but if they are still new they can be returned to the supply system. I question the accuracy of this report.

Ya that's why I'm asking, there have to be guys here who are stationed there. My info comes from an MI CO

Todd00000
12-18-12, 10:46
Ya that's why I'm asking, there have to be guys here who are stationed there. My info comes from an MI CO

Also, are they new as in never issued or have they been issued, that can make a difference but still they could stay in the local CIF.

I read an article once about how large items, like periscopes, were turned in, bought at auction by the companies that made them for pennies on the dollar and resold to the DoD under new contracts. We can be very efficient with small money at the unit level but the DoD is usually very inefficient with big money.

alienb1212
12-18-12, 10:50
Also, are they new as in never issued or have they been issued, that can make a difference but still they could stay in the local CIF.

I read an article once about how large items, like periscopes, were turned in, bought at auction by the companies that made them for pennies on the dollar and resold to the DoD under new contracts. We can be very efficient with small money at the unit level but the DoD is usually very inefficient with big money.

We had this happen with some PAS/13C or whatever the MWTS is, they were "brand new" in the box and had shadows of paint markers on them, you could see rack numbers and initials on the damn things. Way to go BAE.

armakraut
12-18-12, 15:55
They blew up hundreds of B-26's with high explosives after WWII ended. Could have auctioned them. Even the Soviet aren't that dumb, they generally put stuff in storage.

PA PATRIOT
12-18-12, 16:05
They blew up hundreds of B-26's with high explosives after WWII ended. Could have auctioned them. Even the Soviet aren't that dumb, they generally put stuff in storage.

The reason this was done was because the military could not confirm the number of hours on the air frames and that repair logs for combat damage to the aircraft were discarded once the war ended and the B-26's were retired.

It was cheaper and safer to turn them into scrap then inspect and repair them for sale.

armakraut
12-18-12, 16:08
They could have auctioned them, why spend time determining value when the market can set its own value?