PDA

View Full Version : Never thought of owning an AR but now I find myself here...

Shao
12-18-12, 14:08
I like guns...

montanadave
12-18-12, 15:42
January 16, 1919, was a tough day to discover you had a taste for good whiskey. :D

7 RING
12-18-12, 15:52
January 16, 1919, was a tough day to discover you had a taste for good whiskey. :D

Good one! :haha:

Shao
12-18-12, 16:18

Great analogy... Oh well, better late than never... I think I need to find some quality (yet hopefully inexpensive) lowers and buy about 6-7 of them ASAP - anyone know a place that has some in stock?

Also, should I be stocking up on hi-cap mags or what???

nml
12-30-12, 15:14
Standard capacity mags are out of stock everywhere right now.

High capacity mags may be delayed but should be easier to come by:
http://www.surefire.com/tactical-equipment/high-capacity-magazines.html

Shao
12-30-12, 15:47
Standard capacity mags are out of stock everywhere right now.

High capacity mags may be delayed but should be easier to come by:
http://www.surefire.com/tactical-equipment/high-capacity-magazines.html

Wow! So I've noticed... glad I stocked up when I did... Wishing I had bought more now. Damn carpet-baggers bought up the inventory and are reselling them on Ebay and such at ridiculous prices. I've also been looking for a BCG, stripped lowers, and complete uppers for at least a month, but I refuse to pay the jacked up prices they're to be had for now. I wish the hysteria would end already so I can get back to resupplying my new hobby.

iball
12-31-12, 10:34
About a week before Newtown I bought a S&W M&P Sport. The initial plan was to ensure it was sighted in the way the Army taught me on a 25m zeroing target, buy a couple of boxes of 5.56 and leave it in a case "for future reference".

Then the day before Newtown I figured I'd better stock up on ammo before the fiscal cliff and brainless hysteria kicks in on the markets, so I bought an "undisclosed number" of thousand-round boxes of 5.56 (AR-15), 9mm (XDm), .45ACP (XD's and various 1911s), .22LR (Ruger 10/22 TD & SR22), and some .45LC (Ranch Hand "Fun Gun!"). Also stocked up on extra magazines for everything "just in case" someone in Congress decided to get froggy and jump on a mag-capacity ban.
Unlike gold, ammo pulls double-duty in a crap economy (barter/sale & self defense).

After Newtown, Feinstein's little plan irked me so I slapped an EOtech, vert. pistol grip, new buffer, single-point sling, and front light on it just as an "F-U" to her. I now pretty much have the same rig I carried overseas, just a little longer barrel and missing the never-used-myself 3-round burst capability.

It's one of those things....I finally get home from being overseas for about 15+ years, try to get away from it all and wind up getting dragged back in.

Shao
12-31-12, 10:56
Unlike gold, ammo pulls double-duty in a crap economy (barter/sale & self defense).

Thank you... I've actually engaged in arguments with people over this. Ammo, water, and food... If raiders come to take what's mine, all the gold in the world isn't going to stop them.

Trvlngnrs
01-02-13, 19:33
I can't afford gold, so I've been buying lead.

usmcvet
01-02-13, 22:45
Great analogy... Oh well, better late than never... I think I need to find some quality (yet hopefully inexpensive) lowers and buy about 6-7 of them ASAP - anyone know a place that has some in stock?

Also, should I be stocking up on hi-cap mags or what???

You've never owned an AR but now you want 6 or 7 of them?

Thank you... I've actually engaged in arguments with people over this. Ammo, water, and food... If raiders come to take what's mine, all the gold in the world isn't going to stop them.

Raiders? Seriously?

Shao
01-02-13, 23:13
You've never owned an AR but now you want 6 or 7 of them?

Raiders? Seriously?

Yep... Raiders... What do you think hungry people will do when they run out of food? They're gonna try to take it from the people who have it... raiders... I've gotten to know some pretty nasty criminals in depth. They only play along with society because they fear the consequences. Not to be "that guy".... but, take those away and we're going to have... drum roll............... RAIDERS! If you don't realize the potential, then you're a fool. People and all animals for that matter have been taking what they want and need from the weaker since the beginning of the species. Survival of the fittest and all that... BTW Trvlngnrs, great quote - you should attach your real name to it so future generations can cite you....

usmcvet
01-02-13, 23:17
Yep... Raiders... What do you think hungry people will do when they run out of food? They're gonna try to take it from the people who have it... raiders... I've gotten to know some pretty nasty criminals in depth. They only play along with society because they fear the consequences. Not to be "that guy".... but, take those away and we're going to have... drum roll............... RAIDERS! If you don't realize the potential, then you're a fool. People and all animals for that matter have been taking what they want and need from the weaker since the beginning of the species. Survival of the fittest and all that... BTW poster before this - great quote - you should attach your real name to it so future generations can cite you....

Raiders? From the guy so serious about being prepared he waits until now to buy the 6-7 AR's he needs. The fools are looking for AR's now when a month ago they were everywhere.

Shao
01-02-13, 23:34
Raiders? From the guy so serious about being prepared he waits until now to buy the 6-7 AR's he needs. The fools are looking for AR's now when a month ago they were everywhere.

Just because I never had an AR doesn't mean I was a defenseless pup. I've been shooting for almost 30 years. I never wanted an AR because I had always thought of 5.56 as being underpowered and admittedly, I was a little brainwashed by the "DI guns are unreliable" talk... There are many other viable battle rifle options. Just because I joined the AR party late doesn't make me a gun-n00b or any less prepared than someone who got in on it earlier... and I refuse to pay the stoopid prices people are paying now. I managed to get what I needed before it got to where it is now.

Now tell me, if the idea of raiders is so far fetched...

What would YOU do.. imagine.. Months after the collapse of society.. Your wife and children are starving.. You wipe away the tears from your daughter's face as she looks up to you and cries "Daddy, I'm hungry"... then you look over and see your fat neighbor laughing merrily, tearing into a fresh case of MREs... everyone has the potential to become a raider... It's called survival. Would you let your children starve out of courtesy to a stranger?

lunchbox
01-02-13, 23:41
Just because I never had an AR doesn't mean I was a defenseless pup. I've been shooting for almost 30 years. I never wanted an AR because I had always thought of 5.56 as being underpowered and admittedly, I was a little brainwashed by the "DI guns are unreliable" talk... There are many other viable battle rifle options. Just because I joined the AR party late doesn't make me a gun-n00b or any less prepared than someone who got in on it earlier... and I refuse to pay the stoopid prices people are paying now. I managed to get what I needed before it got to where it is now.

What would YOU do.. imagine.. Months after the collapse of society.. Your wife and children are starving.. You wipe away the tears from your daughter's face as she looks up to you and cries "Daddy, I'm hungry"... then you look over and see your fat neighbor laughing merrily, tearing into a fresh case of MREs... everyon has the potential to become a raider... It's called survival. Would you let your children starve out of courtesy to a stranger?
Tell em buddy. Its a dog eat dog world out there.

malstew123
01-03-13, 03:32
Good luck on finding 6-7 of those quality lowers inexpensively in this climate. Call me crazy but I think that ship sailed. Until/unless this craziness dies down over the next couple of months, you are gonna be hard pressed to find any great deals for cheap. Check https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=100661 for lower receivers.

knoxtriton
01-04-13, 13:33
PSA is down the road from me in Columbia. They seem to have a steady supply of stripped lowers. Its the LPK that is hard to find for me.

Hmac
01-04-13, 13:40

What would YOU do.. imagine.. Months after the collapse of society.. Your wife and children are starving.. You wipe away the tears from your daughter's face as she looks up to you and cries "Daddy, I'm hungry"... then you look over and see your fat neighbor laughing merrily, tearing into a fresh case of MREs... everyone has the potential to become a raider... It's called survival. Would you let your children starve out of courtesy to a stranger?

And then there's the Zombie Apocalypse....

So many dangers, so few firearms.

Shao
01-04-13, 18:01
And then there's the Zombie Apocalypse....

So many dangers, so few firearms.

Yes, we musn't forget the zombies... and you can never have too many firearms!

So I take it you don't believe in the raider theory then?

Hmac
01-04-13, 18:15
Yes, we musn't forget the zombies... and you can never have too many firearms!

So I take it you don't believe in the raider theory then?

Not a "collapse of society", EOTWAKI, SHTF adherent, no.

Dknight16
01-04-13, 19:04
Yikes. What a thread . . .

usmcvet
01-04-13, 19:08
Not a "collapse of society", EOTWAKI, SHTF adherent, no.

Glad I'm not alone!

Brownells is an awesome company. These are worth a look.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-amp-action-parts/receivers/lower-receivers/ar-15-stripped-lower-receiver-prod55099.aspx

E4for2
01-05-13, 21:04
you should move elsewhere away from all those LIB's--
thay ain't no raiders in Tejas--only red-necks !!:jester:

and a few Marines

Shao
01-06-13, 07:12
Glad I'm not alone!

Brownells is an awesome company. These are worth a look.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-amp-action-parts/receivers/lower-receivers/ar-15-stripped-lower-receiver-prod55099.aspx

Seems like a pain, so I have to go to my FFL, then have them contact Brownell's???

you should move elsewhere away from all those LIB's--
thay ain't no raiders in Tejas--only red-necks !!:jester:

and a few Marines

Not Austin, Houston...

...and better safe than sorry! Governments and societies fail. Disasters happen. Undoubtedly, without disaster, overpopulation
will be our undoing. When's there's not enough food to go around, the people will be at unrest. Stealing (or raiding) will become commonplace. You guys can't tell me that you don't believe in overpopulation at least, do you?

usmcvet
01-06-13, 07:52
Seems like a pain, so I have to go to my FFL, then have them contact Brownell's???

Not Austin, Houston...

...and better safe than sorry! Governments and societies fail. Disasters happen. Undoubtedly, without disaster, overpopulation
will be our undoing. When's there's not enough food to go around, the people will be at unrest. Stealing (or raiding) will become commonplace. You guys can't tell me that you don't believe in overpopulation at least, do you?

It's a firearm. That's the process. They might already have your persons or shops FFL file. There is typically a transfer fee the FFL holder will charge. They will begin shipping this month. That's good news these days and that's a fair price.

Hmac
01-06-13, 07:57

You'd better check with your FFL, see if he does transfers and for how much (typically FFL's's charge $25-$75, maybe up to $150 depending on store policy). If it's a go, you need to order the receiver from Brownells website just like any other item and pay for it with your credit card. Your FFL will need to mail a certified copy of his FFL to Brownell's (kind of a PITA...most online retailers will accept a fax because they can easily check validity of the license after they get it). This assumes your FFL doesn't already have his license on file with Brownells. Then you have to wait. Then you have to hope that this is a quality receiver from a company the has rigid quality control.

Not Austin, Houston...

..and they say that TV, movies, and video games don't warp our minds....:)

Shao
01-06-13, 08:41
It's a firearm. That's the process. They might already have your persons or shops FFL file. There is typically a transfer fee the FFL holder will charge. They will begin shipping this month. That's good news these days and that's a fair price.

I know that, but I'm used to having it shipped to my FFL, am I missing something? Brownell's says I need to send a copy to them. Is all that really necessary??? If they already have my shop's FFL on file, can't it just be handled through e-mail/phone call?

Shao
01-06-13, 08:44
..and they say that TV, movies, and video games don't warp our minds....:)

Actually, I think it was the Houston Museum of Natural Science... a field trip in the 80s as a grade-schooler... You know, that little globe that shows the population 100 years from now, now, and the predicted population 25, 50, 100+ years from now? I think that's what got me panicked on overpopulation. The school system!

usmcvet
01-06-13, 08:53
I know that, but I'm used to having it shipped to my FFL, am I missing something? Brownell's says I need to send a copy to them. Is all that really necessary??? If they already have my shop's FFL on file, can't it just be handled through e-mail/phone call?

If they already have a valid FFL on file you should be good to go. You could just ask your local shop to order some for you and ask what their price would be. It is a very frustrating time for all of us.

Hmac
01-06-13, 09:10

YOU don't send them the notarized copy of the FFL's license...he does (certainly unlikely that he would give you a copy of that document). And yes, it will be shipped to your FFL and you'll have to fill out 4473's for each receiver and might require a NICS check for each, depending on your state laws.

Yes, if they already have your FFL's license on file, you can just order (backorder) the receiver(s), pay for them, and they will ship them to him. You can start by calling Brownells and asking them if he is on file with them. If not on file, you'll have to go talk to your FFL, ask him to get a copy of his license notarized and then put it in the mail to Brownells.

If your FFL's license is on file, I've found that it's good form to notify him that you're having something shipped to him. My LGS considers that the polite thing to do and prevents all the "WTF is this?" conversation with the UPS guy.

ETA:
The suggestion that your FFL order them instead of you is a good one. FFL's will get a little break on pricing and might get their order filled before regular consumer like you. And he might pass part of the price break on to you, or give you a break by not charging you a transfer fee.

Vash1023
01-06-13, 12:00
all BS aside, this is the BEST forum on the web for firearms related topics, and has the best members....

i mean where else can you go and talk to major players in an industry like there regular people and not celebrities.

usmcvet
01-06-13, 12:12
all BS aside, this is the BEST forum on the web for firearms related topics, and has the best members....

i mean where else can you go and talk to major players in an industry like there regular people and not celebrities.

I agree. This is a great forum.

Shao
01-06-13, 13:30
Great forum and thanks to everyone for the useful info. I started with a Sig M400 in November and now I'm just a few parts away from having a few different ARs. I've spent entirely too much money on this hobby already so I've got to slow it down... Just a couple more lowers and maybe another case of mk262 and I think I'll settle down for awhile. :D