PDA

View Full Version : Was in the market for an AR...

jc000
12-18-12, 14:23
How bad do we think this will get?

I currently don't have an AR, but was planning on making a January purchase of a BCM mid-length. With all this talk of an assault weapons ban, I wonder if I should act a little faster.

There is an LMT standard with sopmod locally, for about $300 more than I planned to spend on a BCM. I am having very little luck finding other options. I'm sure for my first AR it will be more than sufficient-- I guess my question is, are the days of sub $1100 AR's gone? Should I move on this while I can?

Sorry for the handwringing. The way people are talking, I'm worried about a ban.

Doc. Holiday
12-18-12, 14:29
I think it's to the point of "If you can find one, buy one". I wouldn't wait to be honest.

red_cedar
12-18-12, 14:34
All my looking around and I lost out by just a few hours.
More will come but they will be more $
if you snooze, you will lose.

burlee1
12-18-12, 14:35
Same as above. And if the LMT is still there snag it.

1_click_off
12-18-12, 14:36
You can still get a LE6920 for around $1200, but 6940 have gone from 1400 to 1700. I would buy today or wait til it blows over.

Edit: watching gunbroker.com

Seagunner
12-18-12, 14:36
Good lord, if you listen to CNN anything associated with firearms is so evil. The constant ranting is creating a buying frenzy. Its probably too late at this point to try and purchase. They just said Dick's, Walmart are no longer advertising AR's, at least for now out of respect for the Tragedy.

red_cedar
12-18-12, 14:51
You can still get a LE6920 for around $1200, but 6940 have gone from 1400 to 1700. I would buy today or wait til it blows over.

Edit: watching gunbroker.com

I dont think its going to blow over.
The panic all happened pretty quick

RogerinTPA
12-18-12, 14:57
I think you need to get to the nearest Walmart and get a 6920 for $1100-1200 bucks quick, IF they haven't sold out or jacked up the prices.

RCI1911
12-18-12, 15:01
I think it is pretty much too late at this point unless you find one at a local dealer that hasn't sold yet. You could try gunbroker.com which still has some floating around but I'm sure the prices will be going up. Mega Machine is quoting 6+ months to people just to get lower receivers if that is any indication of how this is going to go. The panic bug bit me yesterday and I was actually still able to get everything I needed at normal prices which was a good thing because what was left yesterday is pretty much gone today.

TSully
12-18-12, 15:05
I heard on Fox that Wal-Mart and Dick's are pulling all AR's.

gun71530
12-18-12, 15:08
Go get the LMT now.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Seagunner
12-18-12, 15:11
This is where every Tom, Dick and Harry have started buying everything as an investment opportunity. Just look at Twinkies on Ebay

Bluto
12-18-12, 15:14
Where are you all located? Could availability be varied depending on region?

I am in South Florida and the two largest shops near me are pretty well stocked. Of course they raised their prices a bit, but I managed to pick up a 6290 yesterday and a 6933 today for OK prices and they still had some in stock.

There is another shop as well that has a huge selection. They also raised their prices a bit, but there are full shelves.

Doc. Holiday
12-18-12, 15:22
It always depends on location. So far in Utah, the LGSs are reasonably stocked. I give it a week before everything is dry here.

TSully
12-18-12, 15:28
There is a real small gun shop near my house that I buy ammo from. Today I stopped in for some pistol ammuntion to take to the range and the place was packed, everyone handling the AR's. I asked for my ammo and inquired on some 5.56 just to see what he had in stock. Zero 5.56 or .223. He said it was gone Saturday.

red_cedar
12-18-12, 15:40
Where are you all located? Could availability be varied depending on region?

I am in South Florida and the two largest shops near me are pretty well stocked. Of course they raised their prices a bit, but I managed to pick up a 6290 yesterday and a 6933 today for OK prices and they still had some in stock.

There is another shop as well that has a huge selection. They also raised their prices a bit, but there are full shelves.

where at in south florida

7 RING
12-18-12, 15:54
I would not hesitate if you have any thoughts about purchasing a tactical rifle. I would also recommend purchasing several extra magazines for whatever you buy.

Aaron_B
12-18-12, 15:56
Should just pick up the LMT and call it a day. Why wait for chance? If you don't buy some other guy will.

Mauser KAR98K
12-18-12, 16:13
I stocked up after the election fearing something like this was going to happen then, not now. I did buy a BCM striped upper at a good price (w feed ramps). Plus buffer tubes, springs, and an Emod.

Another stimulus panic buy.

leibermuster
12-18-12, 17:16
Get KAC an SR15 11.5 SBR with 14 or 16.5 upper or an HK416 upper from HKparts.net for 5000....

If you are going to overpay get a high end AR....

Trajan
12-18-12, 17:22
Posted in the wrong thread, but: Get the LMT. Can't go wrong with a tier 1 AR, especially with the scare. The bonus is it comes with IMHO the best stock on the market.

jc000
12-18-12, 18:02
Get KAC an SR15 11.5 SBR with 14 or 16.5 upper or an HK416 upper from HKparts.net for 5000....

If you are going to overpay get a high end AR....

Ha!

I think I'm gonna be smart, sit things out a bit, and stick to my budget. I think there are still some top quality (DD, Colt, LMT) stuff out there to be found. Thanks for all the thoughts though. Trying to be rational--someone has to. ;)

Bluto
12-18-12, 18:18
where at in south florida

Ft. Lauderdale area.

Am I allowed to plug the shops here? PM me for the names...

leibermuster
12-18-12, 18:34
Ha!

I think I'm gonna be smart, sit things out a bit, and stick to my budget. I think there are still some top quality (DD, Colt, LMT) stuff out there to be found. Thanks for all the thoughts though. Trying to be rational--someone has to. ;)

Hey bro whatever you like, if it's not an option for you then it's not an option. But just remember if things go bad down there you may not get another chance to get one legally, at least for a while.

I don't know if you Americans will take it again like you did in the 90's especially, but hopefully you guys can turn things around there.

Rock8921
12-18-12, 18:47
Regardless of price and budget.... Just go out and get one :D I've always leaned toward the "have it than not" theory.... and although I don't believe a ban will happen soon, its just not out the question.

Bulletdog
12-18-12, 21:20
Buy it now. Right now. This how I got my first AR after Obama's first election. All I could find was an overpriced LMT lower and I was fortunate to get a BCM upper. I paid more for that lower because of the situation (similar to what is going on now), but I ended up with excellent equipment. BCM didn't gouge me for the upper, but it did take a while for me to get one. Had to do the email notification thing and have friends and family on standby at their computers to order. Several classes and thousands of rounds later, I still couldn't be happier with this combo.