PDA

View Full Version : New AR owner (pics)

whitetiger7654
09-05-06, 21:58
Hi. I'm new to the AR world but already enjoying myself. I purchased a Bushmaster XM15 E2S Modular Flattop. I love the gun it shoots great and is probably more accurate than me. I do have one small question though. I purchased some 30 round magazines the same day I don't know the brand name. But sometimes they get pushed in to far and stop the bolt. Is this common? How can I stop it other than making sure not to insert them to much?

Gun pictures here:
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/550998034BiwYBM

davemcdonald
09-05-06, 22:57
The best advise that I can give you brother is to get some training. Buy some quality ammo and get signed up for a beginners carbine class. If you can't afford to travel to one of the big named courses then look locally. I am willing to bet there is at least one tactical course being offered in central Florida.

You are not referring to the bolt stopping on the magazine when you pull the charging handle to the rear with an empty magazine in the magazine well, are you?

Dave

John_Wayne777
09-06-06, 07:31
Is this happening on the first couple of rounds or is it happening all the time?

If it is happening on the first couple of rounds, try loading your magazines with 28 rounds and see if that improves things.

If it is happening with more than that, then one of the numerous AR gods here on the forum will need to talk to you.

M4arc
09-06-06, 08:03
Are there any markings on the mags? Look on either the body or the floor plate. If you can't find any markings try and take some pictures for us.

SuicideHz
09-06-06, 08:47
Like Dave said, if an empty mag stops the bolt when the bolt is pulled rearward, the rifle is working properly.

If not, find out what the real problem is. Don't download to 28 just because :(

whitetiger7654
09-06-06, 09:16
It doesn't happen with the factory mag just the cheap extra ones I bought. The mags don't have any markings on them. The bolt does stop properly when the mags are empty. But that's not what I'm talking about. Sometimes the mag gets pushed in to far and after you shoot a round the bolt goes back. Then on the way foward to chamber another round it gets stuck on the magazine. So I have to pull down on the mag a little then the bolt goes foward. Does that make sense?

M4arc
09-06-06, 11:18
It doesn't happen with the factory mag just the cheap extra ones I bought. The mags don't have any markings on them. The bolt does stop properly when the mags are empty. But that's not what I'm talking about. Sometimes the mag gets pushed in to far and after you shoot a round the bolt goes back. Then on the way foward to chamber another round it gets stuck on the magazine. So I have to pull down on the mag a little then the bolt goes foward. Does that make sense?

It makes perfect sense and I think your problem is highlighted in red.

If they don't have any markings on them then I'd be willing to be they are not USGI magazines and therefore should only be used for target practice or malfunction drills ;)

SuicideHz
09-06-06, 12:11
Yeah, just throw them out. Actually, fill one with concrete so you can use it to hold your lower in a vice but throw the rest away.

If you want cheap mags that WORK, get the C-products mags with magpul followers from Denny for $9.90 or from Midway for $9.99.

Once again, downloading a mag doesn't solve anything- no offense to anyone here but it seems like one of those things that just gets perpetuated for way too long...

John_Wayne777
09-06-06, 12:45

USA mags strike again.

John_Wayne777
09-06-06, 12:48
Once again, downloading a mag doesn't solve anything- no offense to anyone here but it seems like one of those things that just gets perpetuated for way too long...

I beg to differ.

I personally have magazines that won't run in my weapon if you load 30 rounds into them. They are USGI aluminum mags with ranger plates on them, and if you load 30 rounds into them the weapon will choke on the first two.

With 28 or less in them, they run just fine.

Mine aren't the only ones like this, as I have seen it happen on lots of other magazines.

In this case, however, it seems like the problem is el-cheapo mags (USA) that aren't fitting in the weapon right, so downloading to 28 rounds wouldn't help.

VA_Dinger
09-06-06, 14:07

I will also have to disagree.

It has been "Perpetuated" by the most highly skilled and knowledgeable people in the industry. Why guys feel they are qualified to dispute this one is beyond me.

It has also proven its worth to me several times.

SuicideHz
09-06-06, 14:35
I stand corrected. I visited many of these discussions on TOS and the last time I had, I thought it had been proven to not help. I thought it was something carried over from back in the day before anti-tilt followers were developed.

What's that particular problem and how does downloading solve it then?

Bulldog1967
09-06-06, 15:11
I stand corrected. I visited many of these discussions on TOS and the last time I had, I thought it had been proven to not help. I thought it was something carried over from back in the day before anti-tilt followers were developed.

It pretty much guarantees a good mag insertion/lock on a closed bolt.

VA_Dinger
09-06-06, 15:25

No problem, we are all here to learn and each of us brings something to the table. I've personally seen it work (Trial & Error), plus heard it taught by the likes of LAV, Pat Rogers, David Pennington, ETC. for it to be nothing. Guys like this know more about gun fighting than we will ever know.

I just did not want this subject to take off like a wild fire. (I think we all read the moronic threads on this subject someplace else). That is not going to happen on M4carbine. We listen to the experts.

whitetiger7654
09-06-06, 18:12
Another question. What are magpulls for? I see them on a lot peoples pictures but what are they for.

davemcdonald
09-06-06, 20:55
WT
Just skip to the part where you throw the cheap mags away. Some may want to keep them for training or for other nefarious reasons but in a holy pelosi moment when the hilary hits the fan you do not want to grab a bad magazine. A rifle is just a tool that you may one day have to use to save your life or the lives of others. Plan accordingly when you purchase, maintain and train with that tool.

Dave

Magpuls are to Pull the Mag as in out of a pouch.

whitetiger7654
09-06-06, 21:52
Thanks I was trying to figure out what they were for. I know when ejecting from gun you don't need them. And I don't carry mags in a pouch so I didn't think of that.

M4arc
09-06-06, 21:56

There was an outstanding thread over on 10-8 a few months back on this very subject. I can't find it now but hopefully Pat Rogers will be along shortly and give us the Clif Notes version. :)

DOUBLETAP76
09-10-06, 03:29
also check springs, from factory they might have been inserted upside down.. It happens..

molsen
09-10-06, 09:18
I beg to differ.

I personally have magazines that won't run in my weapon if you load 30 rounds into them. They are USGI aluminum mags with ranger plates on them, and if you load 30 rounds into them the weapon will choke on the first two.

With 28 or less in them, they run just fine.

Mine aren't the only ones like this, as I have seen it happen on lots of other magazines.

In this case, however, it seems like the problem is el-cheapo mags (USA) that aren't fitting in the weapon right, so downloading to 28 rounds wouldn't help.
When you have Ranger Plates installed on mags, whether they are USGI or not, you're only supposed to load 29rds or less. 30rds won't work with Ranger Plates, regardless of who makes the mag. I believe that's printed on their instructions.

AMMOTECH
09-10-06, 12:16
Why even put up with mags of unknown condition. Toss them!

Buy some new ones... http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR15-magazines-beta-s/21.htm

John_Wayne777
09-10-06, 14:09
When you have Ranger Plates installed on mags, whether they are USGI or not, you're only supposed to load 29rds or less. 30rds won't work with Ranger Plates, regardless of who makes the mag. I believe that's printed on their instructions.

I never bothered to read the instructions.

I won them in a drawing and slapped them on some mags real quick without paying too much attention to the process.

I figured it was something like that...

whitetiger7654
09-18-06, 10:29
Hey guys. It was the magazines. I want to copy here the letter I sent to Denny at GTS.

I had mistakenly purchased a few useless magazines for my AR-15 at the gunshow in my town. It turned out they were useless. Jamming ever couple rounds.

I had a 3 gun match in 3 days. So I figured I would just go to a local store and buy some good magazines instead. The local store's wanted $30+ per magazine so I said forget it. I was just going to use the bad magazines for the match.

But I placed an order with GTS for some magazines and a vertical foregrip anyways. I figured I would need them in the future anyways.

I placed the order on Sep. 13th at 5:56 pm. I received a confirmation immediately. I continued on thinking I would be forced to use the bad magazines for the match.

On Sep. 14th at 8:45 am. I received a shipping confirmation. I then received the magazines early Saturday morning so I was able to use them for the competition this weekend. Which save me from a lot of embarresment from bad magazines.

I didn't pay for 2 day shipping or anything. GTS shipped them to me free of charge due to a special they had.

I want to thank you for your prompt service and delivery. It really made me happy. I will be purchasing more items in the future.