PDA

View Full Version : Poison oak on rifle

twadsw01
12-18-12, 21:14
A few weekends I got up a tree and got a load of poison oak on my left hand and, I must assume, on anything I touched with said hand, including my 7.62 PredatAR.

My question is this: what would the recommendation be for ridding this thing of any residual oils that I must've spread around the handguard and controls? Have any of you dealt with this problem before?

I've read several places that isopropyl alcohol will break down the organic compounds that cause the contact dermatitis most people get after contacting poison oak/ivy/sumac. Would taking a few cotton balls or a spritzer bottle of the stuff and applying some to the exterior of the rifle, and then immediately re-oiling the exterior cause any problems?

tb-av
12-18-12, 21:32
http://www.teclabsinc.com/store/poison-oak-ivy/tecnu

I don;t know how it might react to wood, metal parts etc but I doubt it would be a problem.

You can find it cheaper ~4.50

It doesn't have any grit in it like that expensive other stuff. Just feels like lite detergent.

7 RING
12-19-12, 17:11
Try Dawn dishwashing detergent.

dmaxfireman
12-19-12, 18:05
What gives you the rash (dermatitis) is the oils in the plant. So any sort of degreaser should work. Just wash, rise with warm water, and repeat a few times. I have had GREAT luck with prell shampoo and a gentle scrubbing brush. Make sure you wear gloves as the oils will still cause a rash even when rinsed into the water.

Oh, and don't dump the water into the shower / bathtub, it will make for some very itchy feet later on

rdbse
12-19-12, 18:36
Try Dawn dishwashing detergent.

I would use cheep detergent or this...

http://www.simplegreen.com/products_extreme_motor.php

BIGUGLY
01-01-13, 16:40
use anything that cuts oil. brake cleaner might would probably do the trick, just remember to oil it afterwards.

Sooie
02-17-13, 12:10
man, that would suck. im highly allergic.

like others have said, cheap dishwashing liquid. dont forget to use gloves!