PDA

View Full Version : Update/Fact Check

TheSmiter1
12-19-12, 04:00
It's been a long while since I posted here, and I hate making new threads on these forums, but I've used the search function and browsed a bit, and would simply like to get caught up on some info. A friend recently asked for info about and AR, and I know that this forum is excellent for good info. I wouldn't want to steer him wrong.

Essentially, I would just like a fact check to ensure my info is up to date. When I last visited, LMT, DD, BCM, and Colt were the desirable names in ARs, along with Larue, Noveske, and KAC. It appears as though nothing has changed, although when I looked at the comparison chart, it appeared as though the actual barney-style check-list chart was absent. Are there any manufacturers that made the list since I've been gone? I remember Spikes was in debate at the time.

As for optics, it seems that Aimpoint made the 'Pro' variant, which appears to be a good buy. Trijicons also seem to be good to go, as usual, though not ideal for low light.

A few questions: I looked on BCMs site and it seems their complete rifles are totally out of stock. Is this because of the shooting, or are they mostly selling uppers/lowers? Are all the manufacturers I mentioned still going strong? Have there been any notable developments I've missed?

Lastly, I was thinking of recommending my friend a Colt 6920 or 6720, with Aimpoint Pro for general purpose use. This is solid, yes? Are there any possible downsides to this set up as opposed to an alternate setup?

I am sorry if this post seems irrelevant. As I said, I just want an update/fact check. Thank you for your patience.

Sticks
12-19-12, 05:15
Your info is up to date and correct. Good entry level setup.

kcara
12-19-12, 06:38
Your info is up to date and correct. Good entry level setup.

I agree. BCM rifles are going to be hard to find in this frenzied purchase environment.

RIDE
12-19-12, 06:51
What you stated is correct. You are steering your friend in a good direction.

Most, if not all outlets are out of stock or close to it on complete rifles, Uppers, lowers, 30rd mags, BCG's, ammo, etc. due to panic buying related to first Obama's reelection, then the shooting, and now very open talk by politicians regarding an "Assault Weapons" ban.

jstone
12-19-12, 11:09
At this point i would not be to picky. If he can find any of the top brand he needs to buy. Even if the model is not exactly what he wants. A handguard or stock should not to hard to find.