PDA

View Full Version : AK Enhanced Safety Levers

VA_Dinger
09-05-06, 22:20
Anybody own a BlackJack S.W.I.F.T. or Krebs improved AK safety lever? What can you tell me about them?

Is the bolt hold open option helpfull?

Kyrinn
09-05-06, 22:55
I own a S.W.I.F.T., and I have made two of my own (minus the lower tab).

I find them to be useful from a Range perspective, where the Safety Officers can relax a bit, knowing that the action is open and a casual observation can determine the chamber is empty.

But, on my SHTF 5.45 weapon, it allows me to have my mag inserted and the weapon still be safe until I flip the S.W.I.F.T., then it's showtime with just a pull of the trigger.

Even my ARs require more personal safety, as I've either got to keep them unloaded; or loaded and Bolt held back (wears on the latch), then release the bolt, and disengage the Safety; or the weapon is charged and I have to make certain the Safety is engaged.

Long and short of it: If you don't buy one, make your own with a Dremmel tool, and reap the benefits.

Best,

Jay Cunningham
09-05-06, 23:07
The Krebs product is the more nicely machined and finished version but it'd function is inferior to the Blackjack offering - you can't get good leverage on the Krebs.

blaster22
09-06-06, 00:11
I got one from Brownell's. Forget who made it. Has extended tab you can reach with your trigger finger and bolt hold-open slot. Both are great to have. All AK's should have them.

shooter521
09-06-06, 10:44
I have the BJB SWIFT levers on my AK-105 and -101. Both literally dropped in with no fitting required, operate very smoothly and are easy to put on/take off safe using the trigger finger. The bolt hold open notch is nice for administrative/cleaning functions. I plan to put SWIFT levers in both my Saiga-12s in the near future.

VA_Dinger
09-06-06, 14:02
Are these truly a "Drop In" part?

You guys know what I mean.

How many 1911 manufacturers advertise parts as "Drop In" when every 1911 gunsmith worth listening too says the exact opposite? It’s just safer to assume every 1911 part requires at least some fitting.

I don't know crap about AK's so I trying to make sure I don't "Bubba" (M4arc's Term) my AK. :D

Jay Cunningham
09-06-06, 14:27
They are literally drop-in.

YMMV, however.

VA_Dinger
09-06-06, 15:43
They are literally drop-in.

YMMV, however.

I know this is sad, but I don't know what "YMMV" means.

:D

TOrrock
09-06-06, 16:02
YMMV..........Your Mileage May Vary....

Very true....I tried one from Blackjack for an Arsenal SA-M7 a few years ago and it was definitely NOT drop in....it might have been the difference between a rifle having a double hook AK-47 trigger vs. a single hook AKM trigger assembly.

The bolt hold open notch is a great thing to have for range safety and also to help let the rifle cool off a little sooner.

M4arc
11-23-06, 06:34
Sorry to drag this thread back up but...

What's the final verdict on the SWIFT safeties, are they drop in or will they require some fitting? I want to purchase one from Brownells for my SLR-105.

trio
11-23-06, 09:10
i would also be interested in one for my slr 106 if folks have experience with them...this is my first ak variant though, so i would need some help getting it in...

TOrrock
11-23-06, 09:49
Sorry to drag this thread back up but...

What's the final verdict on the SWIFT safeties, are they drop in or will they require some fitting? I want to purchase one from Brownells for my SLR-105.

They shouldn't require fitting with a single hook trigger mechanism, which the SLR-105 and 106 have.

M4arc
11-23-06, 09:49
They shouldn't require fitting with a single hook trigger mechanism, which the SLR-105 and 106 have.

Excellent, thank you!

trio
11-23-06, 10:52
sweet! thanks for the info...

anyone got a link to directions how to replace the safety?

thanks!

M4arc
11-23-06, 11:03
sweet! thanks for the info...

anyone got a link to directions how to replace the safety?

thanks!

Very simple: Take the top cover off, pull the gas piston/bolt out, rotate the safety up and pull out. Reverse to reinstall. If you want, you can call me when you get ready to replace it and I'll walk you through it.

trio
11-23-06, 11:07
sweet thanks bro...now i just got to buy one...:D

Happy Thanksgiving!

M4arc
11-23-06, 11:21
sweet thanks bro...now i just got to buy one...:D

Happy Thanksgiving!

Same to you!

I'm over on Brownells right now ordering mine...and other goodies :D

M4arc
11-30-06, 19:41
My SWIFT safety lever with bolt hold arrived today and so far I like it! It dropped in no fitting as well. I'll get some photos up tomorrow.

subzero
12-02-06, 19:20
I tried the Swift lever on Chris's SLR105 today, and that thing is the cat's pajamas. Makes me wonder why they don't come from the factory with them. It's worth it just for the ability to take the safety on and off while keeping a firing grip.

I'm getting one ASAP.

M4arc
12-03-06, 09:55
I tried the Swift lever on Chris's SLR105 today, and that thing is the cat's pajamas. Makes me wonder why they don't come from the factory with them. It's worth it just for the ability to take the safety on and off while keeping a firing grip.

I'm getting one ASAP.

Did Chris get the one with the bolt hold?

subzero
12-03-06, 10:36
Yes indeed. It's quite nifty.

VA_Dinger
12-04-06, 21:36
OK, I'm convinced.

Krebs or Blackjack S.W.I.F.T.?

Jay Cunningham
12-04-06, 22:12
OK, I'm convinced.

Krebs or Blackjack S.W.I.F.T.?

Blackjack.

xpd54
12-06-06, 12:53
Another vote for the Blackjack. Got em on both my AKs and they were the best investments I've made for my AKs so far.

subzero
03-30-07, 22:00
Bringing this back from the dead to throw out an alert: has anyone seen any of the Blackjack levers for sale ANYWHERE? I need like 2 more, and Brownells, Red Star Arms, BJB Inc and Power Custom are all out. I keep reading scary things like "dropped by factory" or "we are unable to get anymore".

What do we know, folks? Where can I get one?

Heavy Metal
03-30-07, 22:12
Blackjack.

Got mine from www.redstararms.com

subzero
03-30-07, 22:43
They won't answer the phone so I can't find out if they actually have them or not. Last time I tried that gamble (ordering on the Net when they wouldn't answer the phone), I got the big stiffy from Power Custom.

As GWB says, fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice...shame...uh...the point is you can't be fooled again.

Heavy Metal
03-30-07, 23:07
I call power custom. they have always helped me.

zen_grasshopper
03-31-07, 01:16
I just emailed Blackjack Buffers who manufactures the SWIFT and they stated that they are out of the SWIFT but have more in production and they estimate several more weeks.

Brownells has dropped them, and when I contacted Power Custom they were out of them. You may be able to find them if you search hard enough, but Blackjack will get them later.

Jon

TOrrock
03-31-07, 22:40
Guys, if you need some SWIFT levers, GotM4 has some at VA Arms, so I'd pm or email him and see if he can hook you up.

Jay Cunningham
02-20-08, 15:07
The latest generation of xtended shelf safetys from Krebs look to function the same as the BJB product, but in a prettier package:

http://www.krebscustom.com/RawPhotos/10-18-07/mkIII-IVSafeties-650.JPG

I am going to sticky this topic because it comes up often enough to warrant it.

:cool:

MASP7
03-01-08, 14:13
Are the Blackjack/SWIFT levers no longer available?
If not, what is available?

JG1911
03-07-08, 16:10
I just put the Krebs on my SLR-107, it works (never saw the old version). I had to do some bending, it was so tight it was almost impossible to disengage.
For the money, they could have serrated the pad.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f201/AlexG1911/IMG_0075.jpg

H2O MAN
03-31-08, 10:18
I found THIS (http://www.blackjackbuffers.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&manufacturers_id=10&products_id=202)

Mr.B
04-06-08, 02:48
it says that the blackjack will not work with yugo m70 receivers. I wonder if that applies for the CIA copies also.

Anyone have a SWIFT on a Century Yugo?

H2O MAN
04-11-08, 12:40
I just placed my order for a Mark IV Enhanced Safety from Krebs :)

Spooky130
04-27-08, 19:47
I recently got a SWIFT from Blackjack... I installed it on my underfolder... Well I never thought about it but an underfolder won't clear the tab! I'm moved it to another rifle but it sure is a lot easier to move it than the original ones.

Spooky

m4fun
05-28-08, 23:37
I ended up going with the Krebs. Honestly for no other reason than I could not find a Blackjack in stock anywhere.

Defiantely works well on a SLR-93 - can easily take off safe with trigger finger while hand on pistol grip(and I dont have the biggest hands).

casio02478
07-29-08, 12:58
+1 on Krebs. I have one on a SA-m5 and I love it!

andrew10736
08-05-08, 17:21
+1 for Krebs.. But had to file it to fit AKS74U "krink"...

Belloc
09-12-08, 13:20
Edit.

ArmatusCivis91
10-15-08, 18:23
I prefer the SWIFT lever, it simply dropped in, no modification necessary. The bolt hold open is useless to me, but you might find it handy. The tab is perfectly placed so your index can easily reach it.

Razorhunter
11-21-08, 19:54
Can someone tell me where I can find a Blackjack SWIFT in stock?
From reading this thread, it's been my understanding that the SWIFT was ORIGINALLY the highest probability of being a true "drop in" unit, but the Krebs was the more nicely refined and machined product.

HOWEVER, IF I'm now understanding correctly, the newest version of the Krebs (Enhanced Mk IV? I think) is now the best choice, because it NOW is also most likely a true "drop in" piece.
IS all of the above correct guys?

OR, is the SWIFT still the way to go, due to it dropping in easier, with less fitting required????

I'm not against filing a little IF the Krebs is much nicer.
However, IF the two levers are close to the same quality, I'd prefer the drop in unit...

??
Thanks for any help fellow dark side enthusiasts...

John_Wayne777
11-22-08, 00:03
The problem with the original Krebs safety was the placement of the tab. The original one was located on the centerline of the safety lever, which didn't do a whole lot of good.

The Swift/Blackjack lever, on the other hand, had a dropped tab allowing the index finger to easily sweep off the safety.

The newest version of the Krebs lever fixes the original problem by dropping the extended finger tab low just like the Blackjack lever.

The safety lever on the AK is a pretty darn simple part...you should be able to drop it right in on most AK's. There are so many variations of AK that it's hard to make definitive blanket statements. The only mod you should need to do is adjusting the tension of the safety lever. Adjustment is simple....you simply bend out on the safety lever until you get the movement you want.

TOrrock
11-22-08, 01:18
Get one cut for semi auto only, and it should drop in to any AK with US made FCG.

Razorhunter
11-22-08, 08:45
Tim,
I have never seen an option for "Semi" or "F/A" with these enhanced safety levers.
Mind enlightening us?

jwise
02-01-09, 15:50
Honestly, I never use the bolt hold open, as I don't frequent formal ranges. However, I think the part is worth its weight in gold as for the ability to disengage the safety from a firing grip.

I've got Blackjack SWIFT levers on several of my AKs.

On my Norinco, the safety is NOT a "drop in part." It takes some work (removing the FCG) to remove the safety. Not so on my other AKs...

TOrrock
02-10-09, 18:49
Blackjack SWIFT lever:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Vickers%203%20Day%20Level%201%206-8%20Feb%2009/841d644f.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Vickers%203%20Day%20Level%201%206-8%20Feb%2009/20fec38d.jpg

Razorhunter
02-16-09, 12:22
Hi Tim,
Could you, or anyone else here tell me where I can obtain a Blackjack SWIFT lever? I know the Krebs can be had, but is the SWIFT still available anywhere?
Thanks for any help guys. Ready to buy one if I can find one.

Magsz
02-17-09, 13:43
Wth...

I emailed Blackjack and he said that he no longer produces the lever.

Anyone got any clue why?

I guess our only option at this point in time will be the krebs?

m4fun
02-17-09, 16:25
Thats been like that for a year. I too tried to get a Blackjack per Tim's suggestion, but no-dice. I do like the Krebs although I have not compared the two side-by-side.

Razorhunter
02-17-09, 17:42
Well guys, as a matter of fact, I took it upon myself to inquire with Randy at BJ about the SWIFT levers myself, and his exact reply to me was as follows:

"I can no longer get the Hungarian milled safety lever that I built them
from. "

My question back to him, and to others "in the know" on this forum, would now be, "what is so special about a Hungarian milled selector lever"???
I mean, I know Randy was making SWIFT levers for both STAMPED AND MILLED AK's, as the stamped variant had some type of "relief" cut/area on it, to apparently pass over one of the receiver rivet heads. I read somewhere on the net, that apparently the milled SWIFT variant WOULD work on a stamped gun, but it was much less user friendly, and just didn't work as efficiently as the stamped SWIFT lever.
SO, as I was saying, is there ANYthing special about MILLED Hungarian selector levers? I wonder if they must be MILLED? Must they be Hungarian?
I assume Randy was at least saying that his SOURCE for the selector levers dried up, but before I search for him another source, I need to know IF Hungarian levers are unique in any way?
Finally, IF Randy is even willing, I would need to find a source for selector levers. At least enough to warrant him to have the desire to do maybe one last final run of these SWIFT levers maybe??? Dunno, this is not confirmed at this point. Just wishful thinking.
Otherwise, I'm going Krebs Enhnaced Mk IV.

Does anyone here own BOTH the Krebs AND SWIFT? Is one preferable over the other? If so, then WHAT and WHY? etc, etc....
Thanks to anyone who can help with comparison info, or info on the miled Hungarian selectors.