PDA

View Full Version : SureFire Wrist Light

C4IGrant
12-20-12, 16:29
http://www.surefire.com/illumination/wristlights/2211-sup-8482-sup-wristlight.html

C4

M4Guru
12-20-12, 16:35
I'm sure the 3 people who convinced Surefire that was a good idea will be super happy with it...

$500 ****ing dollars...REALLY Surefire???

nubs101
12-20-12, 16:43
I was thinking the same thing. Seems a little pricey

lethal dose
12-20-12, 16:45
I'm speechless. 1 hour of runtime, to boot. The uses this would have (jogging, maybe) would require batteries to be changed frequently.

Allen
12-20-12, 17:58
I'm speechless. 1 hour of runtime, to boot. The uses this would have (jogging, maybe) would require batteries to be changed frequently.

Can't change them, its a built in rechargeable. Don't think this is the best thing they could have done. And for 500, I can rivet a headlamp to a sheet of kydex to a glove. Probably have enough left over for a few bottles of nice booze.
Hrm...
Allen

Reagans Rascals
12-20-12, 18:02
Can't change them, its a built in rechargeable. Don't think this is the best thing they could have done. And for 500, I can rivet a headlamp to a sheet of kydex to a glove. Probably have enough left over for a few bottles of nice booze.
Hrm...
Allen

or just use that same headlamp/head strap... and a rubber band...

markm
12-20-12, 18:16
I don't buy anything from surefire on priciple.

But I'm making an exception in this case! :lol:

theblackknight
12-20-12, 18:21
Pure derp

sent from mah gun,using my sights

Voodoo_Man
12-20-12, 19:00
great idea at $75.

Not $500.

PlatoCATM
12-20-12, 19:09
What is it? A tactical corsage?

militarymoron
12-20-12, 20:17
if i wore one of those on my wrist, people would mistake it for a strobe.

tb-av
12-20-12, 20:48
I would love to hear someone explain that one to their wife?

M4Guru
12-21-12, 01:31
Just slid an E1B on my watchband. Brighter, cheaper, and it tells time!

thopkins22
12-21-12, 01:41
Per Surefire, you're supposed to give your handheld to the small child you leave all alone at the entrance to a dark alley before you track down the perp that frightened him with your fancy wrist light. :rolleyes:

I spend enough money on silly stuff as it is. But if they were to incorporate that light with a decent watch? Maybe team up with Suunto and stuff it into a slightly thicker Core? Two separate batteries, one for the watch functions and one for the light. I bet they'd sell a ton of them if they did something like that.

I think it's great that they're trying to push the bounds of how we interact with illumination...but I don't see them selling many of this.

ra2bach
12-21-12, 12:58
I don't buy anything from surefire on priciple.

But I'm making an exception in this case! :lol:

you mean this time you're not buying it because it's stupid???

:sarcastic:

3 AE
12-22-12, 03:00
"Calling Dick Tracy, calling Dick Tracy, come in Dick Tracy."

Benito
12-22-12, 07:39
Holy shit!!!!!!!
I think they've jumped the shark on this one.
It is a cool gadget, no doubt, and probably technically impressive (180 lumens is a lot out of a small unit like that), but $500 is a lot of ammo, training, etc.
I'll pony up Surefire cash for stuff that no one else can compete with - like their X300 series of lights which have no competitor in the same league. I am very curious to see how many people buy this.

gschoellles
12-22-12, 08:41
My initial reaction: Finally My Chance To Be A Buzz Light-Year!

Else, I have an old BlackHawk wrist rig that will do this with any one inch barreled light.

http://www.surefire.com/illumination/wristlights/2211-sup-8482-sup-wristlight.html

C4

Vic303
12-22-12, 22:34
Petzl Zipka

PD Sgt.
12-23-12, 23:45
Wow!

I'm sure glad Surefire pushed this gem out ahead of say, the DM2, which would be much more useful to a wide variety of potential users.

misanthropist
12-24-12, 01:47
On the plus side, this definitely makes some of the other light builders seem more legitimate...at least Solarforce or whatever hasn't put out one of these.

So glad the R&D time on this wasn't wasted on, say, a narrow 1-battery pistol light for CCW that would compete with the TLR-3 and now the Inforce APL, like I've been waiting for for two years. No, totally, let's build a $500 headlamp but with a much smaller strap, that's a way better use of our time and money.

interfan
12-24-12, 01:50
If Surefire made this in a diving version, with this output and size, it wouldn't be such a bad price for that. Canister lights with a wrist output can cost $1500-2000+ for good ones for tech diving. For just a light on land- seems a bit much...

Dos Cylindros
12-24-12, 18:29
I still don't know who at surefire thought this was a good idea. I can see the utility in a dive application, or perhaps if you were some kind of cave explorer or coal miner but otherwise this is a bit retarded.

ajunks
12-24-12, 18:31
I use one on my fire gear but I use the streamlight one very handy in a burn if you drop a tool

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2

Benito
12-25-12, 00:20
Surefire Fury (~$110) + strip of duct tape = Bam, 500 lumen wrist light.
That's bang for your buck right there.

Smash
12-25-12, 00:33
$495 on EE right now or trade for 1 used non-windowed PMag. Kidding.

Moose-Knuckle
12-26-12, 20:08
For that price the wrist device should include a flux capacitor and teleport me anwhere in the time space continuum.

12-26-12, 20:36
So glad the R&D time on this wasn't wasted on, say, a narrow 1-battery pistol light for CCW that would compete with the TLR-3 and now the Inforce APL, like I've been waiting for for two years.

I'm puzzled as to why this hasn't happened, yet.

Current LED emitter tech is so badass, you can get LOADS of output from a single 123 cell. A slim, light, low-profile pistol light seems like a no-brainer.

misanthropist
12-27-12, 11:48
Yeah, it's absolutely beyond me as well. I thought for sure we'd see it at SHOT last year...nope.

Even more strangely I have found that I am often shot down when suggesting it, and everyone who does the shooting talks about the need for ever-greater amounts of light from their 2-cell lights...as though that somehow means that a narrow single-cell light isn't also useful.

I would think that with the increasing popularity of carrying concealed, a narrow 1-cell light from Surefire would be the single most obvious development in the history of obvious developments...but so far, no, that's been up to Streamlight and Inforce.

jnc36rcpd
12-29-12, 11:38
I could see this being designed as an alternative for agencies that prohibit pistol-mounted lights. That said, $500 could pay for a lot of practice with a pistol and a handheld light.

El Cid
12-29-12, 13:22
Lol! Unless it shoots lasers (the Star Wars kind) or Spiderman webs, I'll pass.

Wish they'd put this much effort into X300's anodized in FDE.

charmcitycop
02-23-13, 17:53

Litpipe
02-23-13, 18:01
$500 wrist light designed for cops? No thanks.

JohnnyC
02-24-13, 19:09
I feel like less of a man with my Petzl Zipka on my wrist. Wait a minute, no I don't because that thing only cost me 50 bucks.

Cincinnatus
07-17-15, 16:34
A new model, the 2211x, that takes regular surefire batteries and costs way less than original.
http://www.surefire.com/2211x-wristlight.html
Anybody have one? I am thinking that instead using for your wrist, you could strap it to the forearm of a long-gun that had no rail.

Hmm.... It seems the direction of the light is not straight out, but at an angle, so probably would not work for anything but navigation.

H Wyman
07-17-15, 17:30
The robust, always accessible 2211X is the lightest weight, most affordable member of SureFire’s category-redefining WristLight family.

Category-redefining? Was there a wrist light category before SureFire forayed into this folly? We can't sell the expensive ones so we'll make an affordable one.

trinydex
07-21-15, 17:58
The robust, always accessible 2211X is the lightest weight, most affordable member of SureFire’s category-redefining WristLight family.

Category-redefining? Was there a wrist light category before SureFire forayed into this folly? We can't sell the expensive ones so we'll make an affordable one.

yes, they're used for diving and tunneling. although i don't think the surefire really defeats other contenders that are more well established in this genre of lighting... lots of the diving lights are very serious output (they have to perform in the dark ocean depths) and they're significantly overbuilt for submersion.