PDA

View Full Version : Crush or Peel Washer???

Dave L.
02-23-08, 17:05
I just got a new 6920 and I'm taking off the A2 FH and I want to put on one of these(already have it): http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=166

The comp came with 2 peel washers but I'm wondering if I can use the crush washer already on the 6920.
TAI for the advice,
Dave

tkoglman
02-23-08, 23:15
Colt and FN switched to crush washers from peel washers sometime in the past six years or so. Crush washers are easier to use.

I would not reuse one though. You may not have enough crush left to properly time your new FH.

Just buy a new crush washer. They run less than $3.

Josh-L
02-23-08, 23:56
I used to use crush washers all the time too because they were easier until I talked to John at WOA and he explained how they were not the best choice. Now I use peel washers.

Iraqgunz
02-24-08, 02:37
My .03 dinar.

1. Do not re-use crush washers, roll pins, split pins or taper pins. Just buy new ones.

2. Crush washers are easy (ier) to use IMO and there is no reason not to. however, if you feel the need to use peel washers, by all means do so.

Neville
02-24-08, 04:22
Pardon the ignorant question- but what are washers for on a muzzle device?
My gunsmith installed the FSC556 without one.

Dave L.
02-24-08, 10:34

A smith vortex really doesn't need one either. On a A2 bird cage FH, you need the ports to the sky and the flat part to the ground- the crush washer is put on first because the threading will not allign the devices- "crushing the washer" is use do align it- or peeling layers off the washer. Your SF556 may not need to be aligned.
Hope that makes sense I drank I lot last night.

twodollarbill
02-24-08, 10:37

For proper orientation of the muzzle devise.....
and may I say I like the FCS556 also.

I gave up on peel washers (big hands...all thumbs).
I ordered an assortment of 1/2 ID..3/4 OD SS shims from Mcmaster's
and made up my own kits like the KAC kits. Didn't really spend a whole lot,
now I have enough for a lifetime.

Remember911
02-24-08, 10:59
I use them, but could be a pine in butt. You need to heat them up put in water and peel off untill you get it just right in time. the main reason for use of peel is so you can use a can if leg. in your state.