PDA

View Full Version : Those with 10-rnd G19 and G17 mags - is reliability compromised?

DHart
12-20-12, 23:36
Sadly, some of us in certain states have lived with the 10-rnd mag limitation for quite some time.

I'm curious to know... do any of you have 10-rnd factory mags for the G19 or G17?

Do these guns run with expected reliability with 10-round mags, or is there some compromise in reliability that comes with restricted capacity high-cap mags?

xjustintimex
12-20-12, 23:38
I was curious about this as well

South
12-21-12, 01:48

hairyjack
12-21-12, 02:05
I have 2 10 round G17 mags which aren't reliable. Also, when loaded to 10 rounds they're a bitch to insert

DHart
12-21-12, 02:07
AFAIK Dr.Roberts(DocGKR) has said multiple times reliability is compromised with the 10 round factory mags in Glock 19 and 17's.

South... Thanks for that info. I haven't seen anything to that effect, myself, that's why I asked.

I will stick to my 15- and 17- rounders in those models, as there are a number of other great models to choose from with native 10-round cap mags, if necessary. (G30, G26, M&P45, HK45, M&P40C, etc.)

CA_Shooter
12-21-12, 04:17
Even though I have a number of pre-ban mags for both my G17 and G19's, I also have a number of OEM 10 rounders for each as well as being in Cali this is all we can get new.

While a little harder to load (an UpLula takes care of that) and insert than standard cap mags, they've all been totally reliable with a few thousand rounds through each in normal range use, training classes and IDPA/USPSA matches.

Granted this is just my experience but so far they have been good to go.

R0CKETMAN
12-21-12, 06:01
You may want to consider a Wolff spring to see it that aids in reliability.

5pins
12-21-12, 06:22
In my experience the 10 round mags in my G19 have been less reliable then standard capacity. If laws are passed so I can’t use standard cap mags then I will sell my G19’s and get something where 10 rounds are the normal capacity.

Five_Point_Five_Six
12-21-12, 07:06
Sadly, some of us in certain states have lived with the 10-rnd mag limitation for quite some time.

I'm curious to know... do any of you have 10-rnd factory mags for the G19 or G17?

Do these guns run with expected reliability with 10-round mags, or is there some compromise in reliability that comes with restricted capacity high-cap mags?

Is SW Washington not where you live normally?:confused:

As to reliability, I bought a Glock 19 during the ban and the only issue I had was loading them to capacity. IIRC, one of them was so tight that if it was loaded to capacity, you could not get it seated properly if the slide was closed.

davidjinks
12-21-12, 08:01
I had several recurring problems with a couple G19 and g23 10 round magazines. I believe the malfunction description was LRND...Last round nose dive.

Those malfs were more prevelant in the 23 than the 19 but they suffered the same issues. I'd have to go back to my notebook but there was a fix you could do to the 9mm mags by replacing the follower. I just don't remember which follower it was. Of course I'm not sure if that would still apply today or not.

GJM
12-21-12, 08:23
By chance, I recently sent a G19 lower to Ben at Boresight, so he could cut it to take G26 magazines. I think I would rather run a 10 round 26 mag, than a less reliable 10 round G19 mag.

I have heard of no problems with the 10 round HK mags in the P30, and for years I ran 10 round mags in a P2000 without any problems.

Hopefully Glock is working on a properly engineered 10 round magazine for the 19/17.

Obiwan
12-21-12, 09:57
The neutered mags generally work best when downloaded by one or two rounds. They are so worried that you might actually squeeze in an 11th round that they are very tight with 10

Hard to load the 10th and hard to insert with the slide closed

DHart
12-21-12, 11:02
Is SW Washington not where you live normally?:confused:

As to reliability, I bought a Glock 19 during the ban and the only issue I had was loading them to capacity. IIRC, one of them was so tight that if it was loaded to capacity, you could not get it seated properly if the slide was closed.

When I said "some of us", I wasn't including myself as a Washington resident... I was referring to California residents.

From what I'm hearing and after further consideration, I won't bother with trying to use 10 rounders in my 19 and 17. If I have to run guns with 10 rounders, I will choose guns originally designed for 10 round mags, not put crippled mags in formerly high cap guns.

TriumphRat675
12-21-12, 11:18
A contrasting experience: I used nothing but 10 round G17 mags from 2003 through the end of the AWB and still occasionally use them in club matches. Result: one malfunction out of several thousand rounds.

All shooting was done with FMJ. YMMV.

Shadow1198
12-21-12, 12:54
I've had reliability issues with my factory 10rd G17 mags. As others have said, they're a bitch to load and don't tend to like being loaded to full capacity. At full capacity they are pretty much impossible to seat on a closed slide. Other reliability issues I've had have been failures to lock back and I believe I've had a few premature lock backs, but my memory is bad. One issue I've noticed with the 10 rounders is the follower design (at least with whatever generation mags I have) seems to allow the follower to tilt and/or push past the feed lips and top of the mag. Kind of like the split devel-style followers on 1911 mags. I've had multiple times on at least 1 or 2 of my 10 rounders where the follower jumped the top of the mag on the last round and the front of it pushed just forward of the front of mag body. Don't know if that description makes sense. Caused the mag to lock up pretty hard in the gun and had to be yanked out. Had that happen several times with that mag. I've never had that happen before with the high capacity mags.

Bulletdog
12-21-12, 15:48
I did not read all the replies before replying. I have multiples of the models mentioned and living in one of "those" states I have many 10 round magazines. I have never experienced any malfunctions with any of my 19S or 17s. There is a phenomenon where some 19s will malfunction when shot by women. I have seen this on more than one 19 with more than one woman. Hand the malfunctioning gun to a man and it runs like clockwork. Hand it back to a woman and you get an occasional FTF. I have heard all sorts of speculation and theories as to why this was happening, but each G19 was in good repair with no obvious problems and it didn't matter if the mag was a 10 rounder or a standard capacity. All of my Glocks were purchased before '09.

DanjojoUSMC
12-21-12, 16:13
That is just classic limp-wristing/crap grip. Polymer, lightweight pistols are a little more prone to it by nature.

Bulletdog
12-21-12, 16:31
That is just classic limp-wristing/crap grip. Polymer, lightweight pistols are a little more prone to it by nature.

Interestingly these same women on the same day with the same ammo did not have an issue with either G17s or G26s, or with any other model or caliber.

slimedog
12-21-12, 16:51
My gen3 Glock 19, purchased during the dark days of the AWB, had issues. The original 10 round magazines were very unreliable (nose dive FTFs about once every 20 rounds). New followers (9mm4, as I recall) mostly solved the problem until standard capacity mags became availabe. No problems ever with any of my standard capacity mags. I still use the old 10 rounders on the range.

Clay
12-21-12, 18:06
10-round Glock 19 mags are junk.

DocGKR
12-21-12, 18:21
In my experience, the 10 rd G19 and G17 mags do not run with the same reliability as the standard capacity mags.

To check this, I once loaded 100 rds into 10 of the CA compliant 10 rd mags and another 100 rds into 6 standard capacity G17 mags at Todd Green AFHF class--not one of the 10 rd mags ran reliably, while all of the standard capacity mags ran perfectly.

CAVDOC
12-21-12, 22:04
I live in one of those ban states and use a lot of glock 10 round mags for gssf shoots and other matches limited to 10 rounds or less to save wear on my precious pre bans. Never an issue with ball hollow points or lead reloads

brushy bill
12-21-12, 22:13
Even if they worked as well (and they don't), I could never understand why someone would run a gun designed to hold 15 rounds crippled to 10. I would go with a smaller, more size efficient, or same size larger caliber. I don't follow the logic, especially since the same reliabilty is not there.

EzGoingKev
12-22-12, 13:37
I have a 3rd gen G23 with an x300 on it.

I have about a dozen (13) round mags that have the current follower in them with Wolff +10% springs and they work fine.

I have some (10) round mags that I wanted to use for the range and I have nothing but problems with the x300 mounted. Take off the x300 and they seem to run fine for the short amount I have used them.

7 RING
12-22-12, 13:45
I have two 10 round Glock 23 magazines that have always worked as well as my 13 round mags. I have never had any trouble with them.

Bulletdog
12-22-12, 13:56
Anyone have a theory for why some people have no issues at all with 10 rounders, and others have all sorts of trouble with them?

All of my stuff is a few years (or more) old. Is it the new stuff that is having issues?

7 RING
12-22-12, 14:07
Anyone have a theory for why some people have no issues at all with 10 rounders, and others have all sorts of trouble with them?

All of my stuff is a few years (or more) old. Is it the new stuff that is having issues?

That is a very good question. My 10 round magazines were purchased during the 1994-2004 ban.

DHart
12-22-12, 16:14
I ordered some 10-rounders for my G17 and my G19... Just to have in case they may be needed in some particular circumstances. They arrived today... I'll test and report back.

Pat.c
12-22-12, 16:52
I will also say that the 10 rounders do not last very long. After a few hundreds rounds they become suspect. Downloading one prolongs the service life, but not for long. I have actually been able to send them into Glock CS before as the mags were ejecting live rounds (volcanoing) during admin loading with the slide locked back, prior to racking into battery.

DHart
12-22-12, 19:01
All in all, for defense use, if choosing between a pistol designed for 10-rnd mag and a high-cap model using a neutered mag, I think I'll just stick with the pistol designed for 10 rounds. :)

brushy bill
12-22-12, 21:15
All in all, for defense use, if choosing between a pistol designed for 10-rnd mag and a high-cap model using a neutered mag, I think I'll just stick with the pistol designed for 10 rounds. :)

Good lad.

vodomagoo
12-23-12, 21:21
When I got my g19 used it came from a ban state and I got two 10rd mags with it. Have not had a failure yet after about 100 rounds through each. I use them only for practice though since I live in a nice state :)

aflin
12-23-12, 21:37
None of the 10 rounders I've ran has been problem free.

They belong in the trash / bargain bin...

or commie states

m1a_scoutguy
12-23-12, 23:56
I have a Gen 3 G17 & live Behind Enemy Lines & used 10rd mags exclusively & have had 0 problems in "Thousands" of Rd's,,easily over 5K++ !!! I guess some guys & guns are different,,but I have always loaded to the MAX 99% of the time,,never had a problem with Lock Back,,FTF,,FTE,,etc,,Hmmmm,,guess I am lucky !!! I have a couple Pre-Ban mags,,but just got them in the last few months,,they worked fine for the short time I used them,,but are in the safe for "Safe" keeping !!! :D I have noticed the "Notch" on a few of them (10Rd Ones) shows some wear,,but they still have held up & run fine !! I have 10 mags,,,& ALL get used and rotated equally !!! Just sayin,,,;) YMMV

DHart
12-24-12, 00:07
Thanks, all, for the comments. Sure sounds like Jeckyll & Hyde... I guess it's a total crap shoot as to whether these mags run reliably or not. I still haven't tried out the 10-rounders I just bought for my G17 and G19, but will do so at some point, for sure.

Beat Trash
12-24-12, 10:49
During the last ban, I had bought two Glock 19's. These were LE guns. At the time the 15 rd magazines had followers marked "3".

I acquired about 9-10 of the 10 rd magazines. These had different followers that looked like the top of the follower was cut in half, for a lack of a better term. All of the 10 rd magazines would have the same issue. If you load the mag with one round, then try to load a round into the chamber, the tip of that round would hit the bottom of the feed ramp of the barrel, preventing the round from going up the few ramp and chambering. Happened on any 9mm Glock I tried.

I played around a bit and discovered the followers from the 15 rd mags would fit into the 10 rd magazine bodies. The combination of the followers from the 15 rd mag and the body of the 10 rd magazine proved to be reliable for me. Glock CS shipped me enough followers to convert my stock of 10 rd magazines.

Wether this will work with the current generation of followers, I can't comment, as I do not live in a region with a magazine capacity limit.

For now...

Bulletdog
12-24-12, 11:28
During the last ban, I had bought two If you load the mag with one round, then try to load a round into the chamber, the tip of that round would hit the bottom of the feed ramp of the barrel, preventing the round from going up the few ramp and chambering. Happened on any 9mm Glock I tried.
For now...

This is exactly what I do nearly every day for dry fire practice with a single snap cap. I do it on my 19, 17 and 26s. I also do it on my other Glocks too. I have never had one single issue with it. Always loads properly, and goes click.

I have never looked at my followers all that closely. Never had a reason too, since they all work perfectly. I will go have a look next time I crack the safe open and see if I can match my followers to either of the descriptions you gave. This difference in followers COULD be the reason why some have no issues and others do. Thanks for posting.

Inuvik
12-24-12, 11:31
Interesting mix of results posted here. I have 6 10-round mags for my 19, and 4 10-rounders for my 34. The 17/34 mags are much more difficult to load as compared to the 19 mags.

I have about 2500 rounds through the 19 with zero malfunctions, all with the 10 rounders. The 34 has close to 2k through it with no issues other than the normal brass to the face that seems to have been cured by the new ejector.

It sounds like it may be an age issue. The majority of my my mags are Gen 4, and all are 2010 or newer.

EzGoingKev
12-24-12, 11:41
For you guys running them without any drama- is anyone running them with a rail mounted light?

Inuvik
12-24-12, 12:35
For you guys running them without any drama- is anyone running them with a rail mounted light?

To date, I have not.

What is your theory here? I am guessing the basic design of the magazine body, base plate, and follower are all the same as standard caps, with the difference being single vs. double stacked and a different spring? (I may be wrong here, asking a question)

Is your theory based more on the thought that the light reduces reliability with all Glocks, and the 10 round mags only make the problem worse? Basically, one potential weakness, plus another potential weakness adding up to more of a problem?

Hunting_Zombies
12-24-12, 13:32

I'm running a light and I guess by the sound of things, I may be one of the lucky ones. I run a gen 3 17 with 6 different 10 round factory mags and I have not had any issues. I have gone 4,000 plus rounds through them without any issues. The only "minor" problem is that they are hard to put the 9th and 10th round in them. CALIFORNIA LAWS SUCK ASS btw.

Bulletdog
12-24-12, 18:26

I have not. I recently got a TLR1 to try out. I've been dry firing with it, but I haven't taken it to the range yet. I'll report back after I try some live fire with a light mounted AND a 10 round mag.

EzGoingKev
12-24-12, 18:30
To date, I have not.

What is your theory here? I am guessing the basic design of the magazine body, base plate, and follower are all the same as standard caps, with the difference being single vs. double stacked and a different spring? (I may be wrong here, asking a question)

Is your theory based more on the thought that the light reduces reliability with all Glocks, and the 10 round mags only make the problem worse? Basically, one potential weakness, plus another potential weakness adding up to more of a problem?
In my first post in this thread I stated that I have some 10 round G23 that will not function with my x300 installed. If I take it off they work fine.

All of my 13 round mags work fine with the x300.

drck1000
12-24-12, 18:39
3 Gen 4 Glocks here (2-17 and a 34). I have 15- 10 round mags due to state imposed capacity limit. I haven't had any problems with running with any of them through training, competition and general range use. I haven't heard of anyone else locally having problems with 10 round 9 mm Glock mags either and I know dozens of guys who use them. One guy had trouble loading the 10th round in his new Glock 17 mags, but other than that, no problems with function.

Robb Jensen
12-24-12, 18:47
The 10 round factory GLOCK 9mm mags run best with GLOCK genuine 9mm1 and 9mm3 followers.

Quiet
12-25-12, 12:53
None of the 10 round Glock magazines I've used had reliability issues.

PLCedeno
12-26-12, 04:40
Mine are always fine when down-loaded by one round. When loaded to capacity-ftf.

KrampusArms
12-26-12, 17:35
My 10 rounders work fine in my G17.

I tried one of them in my G26 for the heck of it, & it caused a stovepipe on the last round. I speculate it was the CA 10 rounder as the two G26 mags have been fine for the last 500+.

Take it as you will.

DHart
12-26-12, 18:52
These are the followers in the G17 and G19 10-round mags I just bought. Yes, it's difficult to load the 10th round, but it can be loaded in with some significant effort. I plan to leave them loaded until I get the opportunity to test them. The followers are numbered "2183" in one spot and "2" on another.

Any idea if these are the "good ones" or otherwise? I haven't had the opportunity to test them out yet.

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp59/zmonki/Glocks/P1060005.jpg

warner41
12-26-12, 20:26
I'm a NY'er and don't want to run my prebans at the range so I pretty much run factory 10 rounders exclusively. I have not had any issues with Glock factory 10 rounders. The last round is a bit tough to load but I just use the factory Glock speedloader and it's really not a big deal.

This is my experience with a G17 and a G22 both Gen 4. Good luck.

ROUTEMICHIGAN
12-27-12, 02:28
I have had zero issues with my 10 round factory Glock mags for my G19. They've worked just as reliably as my 15 rounders.

meausoc
12-27-12, 07:46
Get the Dremel out and fix them.

Bulletdog
12-27-12, 10:35
Get the Dremel out and fix them.

Need more info than this. What part is causing the problem and needs to be dremmeled?

Submariner
12-27-12, 17:12
The 10 round factory GLOCK 9mm mags run best with GLOCK genuine 9mm1 and 9mm3 followers.

And where may these be found?

DHart
12-27-12, 20:00
Any idea if these are the "good ones" or otherwise? I haven't had the opportunity to test them out yet.

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp59/zmonki/Glocks/P1060005.jpg

Anyone?

meausoc
12-31-12, 00:04
Sorry I should have been more specific. Dremel out the raised area on the inside of the magazine that restricts capacity and you will have a 15 round magazine that works.

Need more info than this. What part is causing the problem and needs to be dremmeled?

Robb Jensen
01-01-13, 08:02
And where may these be found?

The 9mm3 followers are still listed on the GLOCK Armorers parts list of parts from GLOCK. GLOCK (I think) will sell non-armorers mag followers.

Vulture38
01-01-13, 14:43
None of the 10 rounders I've ran has been problem free.

They belong in the trash / bargain bin...

or commie states

Same experience here.

snowdog650
01-03-13, 00:48
I have a failure to feed with the last round in every Glock factory 10-round mag I own for my G19 (3 in all).

meausoc
01-16-13, 11:17
Another option would to place the plus two extenders on the bottom of these 10 round magazines to increase capacity. I added a plus two extender to a 10 round 10mm magazine and was able to increase capacity to 12 rounds. The 12th round is hard to load but after time I think that it will loosen up.

DocH
01-16-13, 21:22
By chance, I recently sent a G19 lower to Ben at Boresight, so he could cut it to take G26 magazines. I think I would rather run a 10 round 26 mag, than a less reliable 10 round G19 mag.

I have heard of no problems with the 10 round HK mags in the P30, and for years I ran 10 round mags in a P2000 without any problems.

Hopefully Glock is working on a properly engineered 10 round magazine for the 19/17.

Probably the best idea for the Glocks,if limited to 10 rounds.The follower in the 10 rounders was most of the problem.I still have a couple,but can't remember the 4 digit follower number on them right off the top.

EzGoingKev
07-21-13, 12:48
In my first post in this thread I stated that I have some 10 round G23 that will not function with my x300 installed.

I went to the range the other day and my (10) round G23 mags performed flawlessly. They must have found out I was trash talking them.

The only thing different than normal was the ammo. I shot about 150 rounds of Winchester 165 grain white box blunt nosed stuff (vs the 185 blunt nose I usually shoot) and about 150 rounds of Winchester 185 grain Ranger T.

darkparadox
07-21-13, 17:28
I've had multiple issues with the ten round magazines. I was assured however that it was entirely my own fault and isn't remotely feasable that the magazines have no issues.

EzGoingKev
08-03-13, 12:46
One thing I am curious about - what type of ammo are people shooting?

Ball ammo feeds nice while the blunt nose stuff seems to have a higher potential for issues.

It would be great to know the ammo type and if you are or are not experiencing any types of issues.

rojocorsa
11-30-14, 16:49
The first time I took out my G.19 after picking it up (bought it used for 300 rnds, still new really) I had some issues with both of the 10rnd mags it came with.

I used to think that the 10rnd G.17 mags were fine, until I had a malfunction or two with them yesterday for the first time. I had been using these mags all year.

This is unacceptable to me. And I was shooting NATO spec 124gr ammo. (Q4318).

I have not tried any HP ammo though I should.

All the malfunctions I experienced with both G.17 and G.19 were the last round failing to feed and jumping out of the feed lips (or sometimes jumping out of the gun).

DHart
11-30-14, 19:12
I sure appreciate all the responses to my question.

Since starting this thread I've decided that if I have to use 10 round mags in some restricted place (thankfully, not where I live - Arizona) I'm just going to carry my G30 with 10+1 rounds of .45 or my M&P .45 with 10+1 rounds of .45. G26 with 10+1 of 9mm is a third option.

I will never use the 10-round mags in my G19 or G17.

KrampusArms
11-30-14, 20:19
The first time I took out my G.19 after picking it up (bought it used for 300 rnds, still new really) I had some issues with both of the 10rnd mags it came with.

I used to think that the 10rnd G.17 mags were fine, until I had a malfunction or two with them yesterday for the first time. I had been using these mags all year.

This is unacceptable to me. And I was shooting NATO spec 124gr ammo. (Q4318).

I have not tried any HP ammo though I should.

All the malfunctions I experienced with both G.17 and G.19 were the last round failing to feed and jumping out of the feed lips (or sometimes jumping out of the gun).

I have had perfect function through my G17c with the supplied tyrannical ten rounders. However, in my G26 they caused a malf similar to what you describe. Last round fired, will stovepipe the empty case. Beware of those things. Everybody that uses a Glock in enemy territory needs to be made privy of this. I'm pleased you revived this thread.

JasonB1
11-30-14, 21:48
They are so worried that you might actually squeeze in an 11th round that they are very tight with 10

Used to shoot IDPA with 10rds 94 ban era 17 & 19 mags and do not recall ever having a problem except when one of the mags got filled with 12 rounds during a match which I figured out after clearing it and still finishing the stage. After that I went through my mags and found that several would take 11 rounds easily(and function) and a few would take a 12th round and not feed.

rojocorsa
11-30-14, 22:35
I have had perfect function through my G17c with the supplied tyrannical ten rounders. However, in my G26 they caused a malf similar to what you describe. Last round fired, will stovepipe the empty case. Beware of those things. Everybody that uses a Glock in enemy territory needs to be made privy of this. I'm pleased you revived this thread.

I was doing well with the G.17 rounders until yesterday when I experienced the same kind of malfunction that I was always experiencing on my G.19. This happened both with the G.17 and the G.19.

(After googling the issue I came upon this old thread, yeah).

As it stands, my M-9 is the most reliable pistol. I do not have any problems with the Beretta 10 rounders and they're easier to load by hand.