PDA

View Full Version : Bare Minimum?

Paul D
12-21-12, 10:45
I need some advice:

I have a custom build pending: 300 WM on a Rem 700 action with a Lilja 26 inch barrel, McMillian HTG stock, Badger M5 bottom, Timney 510 trigger, other minor stuff and an USO SN3 scope. However, the project is on hold due to delays from Lilja (6+ months). The purpose of the rifle is for longer range plains game hunt in Namibia first (<500-600yds) and long range target shooting later (1000-1200 yds). The hunt is creeping up and I need to start thinking about a backup if this project is too late.

I was thinking about a Remington Milspec 5R in 300 WM. I was going to add a Timney 510 trigger, bed it, add a replacement knob, keep everything else, refinish it with Roguard and top it off with the USO SN3. It don't want to spend too much but I want it to shoot reliably and well up to 600 yds for the hunt. Any other additions that would be helpful but not take too long or too expensive to do? I want to keep the mods budget to about $600 (excluding the optics which I already have). Thanks in advance.

orkan
12-21-12, 11:48
Sounds like a good backup plan to me.

taliv
12-21-12, 20:08
nothing special about lilja. you should be able to find top quality barrels in stock elsewhere. don't buy from the mfg. buy from the resellers.

one of many: http://bugholes.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=88_89_92&page=4
http://bugholes.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=88_89_96&page=2

ICANHITHIMMAN
12-21-12, 21:08
While I share your enthusiasm for long range rifles, I do not foresee myself humping after plains game with a 15LB rifle to take shots out to 600m. I am assuming, since you did not state it, that your shooting factory ammo? Why not spend the budget on a "lighter rifle". I don't know if anyone told you its ****ING HOT IN AFRICA!

Paul D
12-21-12, 22:33
I tried to get the barrel or some fascimile of it from resellers like bughole but they did not not have barrel profile, caliber, fluting that I wanted. I don't want compromise what I want. The rifle being built by Robar (who is 10 minutes from work) and Robbie built my dangerous game rifles for my Zambia trip 3 years ago. Those guns took down 12 animals on that trip including a SCI record book Lechwe. I hope to keep the lucky streak going.

I still have time. My hunt isn't until July (which is winter in Namibia by the way; high temp is mid 70's). However, I do want to develop my own handloads for it and want to master the gun. I don't get every weekend off so time is important to me.

I agree a lighter rifle would be nice. I think the 5R with an SN3 is about 11 lbs which about the weight of a DG rifle I carried last time while stalking with no sling. I believe it's doable with a good sling for long stalks (maybe biathalon sling?) Also consider I will be with a professional hunter and 2 trackers. If I get tired, I'll make one those trackers hump it for while. However, if you have a suggestion for a lighter turn key rifle that is readily available and take a pic rail for a scope and launches a flat shooting .30 cal round for less than $1600 I would still be most grateful for the info (Steyr Mannlicher Pro Hunter?)

mark5pt56
12-22-12, 08:16
Look into the Winchester Extreme Weather series, caliber of choice. They are a light and very accurate rifle. I would think that a stock PSS would be plenty accurate as is, I had one and I had no troubles with it and the accuracy was outstanding. That's if you wanted to upgrade it later on and wanted some more weight. Matter of fact, I believe a friend of icanhithim has it now.