PDA

View Full Version : Boehner starting to cave on the gun issue already...

Doc Safari
12-21-12, 10:51
http://thehill.com/homenews/house/274035-boehner-will-consider-gun-control-legislation

Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) on Thursday refused to rule out a vote on gun-control legislation in the next Congress.

The highest-ranking elected Republican lawmaker said that he would take the recommendations of a commission led by Vice President Joe Biden on gun control "under advisement."

Just like he took raising taxes to avoid the fiscal cliff "under advisement?" Is this the new code words for "Whatever You Want, Mr. President?"

Speaking to his troops at a closed-door meeting in the Capitol on Tuesday, Boehner was mindful of conservatives' traditional opposition to new gun restrictions, emphasizing that Republicans wouldn't do "anything knee-jerk," according to a lawmaker in the room.

Right. He'll threaten to remove them as committee chairs, or otherwise punish them for not going along with the flow. The operative analogy is "thumb-screw" instead of "knee-jerk", I guess.

Anytime I hear the phrase "closed-door meeting", my butthole just tightens up for some reason.

But the Speaker also said he wants to "de-politicize" the issue of gun violence, which has been thrust into the national spotlight following the murder of 27 people, including the gunman's mother and 20 young children, in Newtown last Friday.

So if I understand things correctly, Harry Reid has taken a stronger stance than Boner, right?

By de-politicize, are we to take that to mean that we should stop whining and get in line behind our all-wise, all-knowing, Republicrats who may have to ban guns to save their jobs?

Boehner also told Republicans that they need to be "circumspect" in their observations, the lawmaker said, warning that "it's not helpful" for lawmakers to call for arming teachers as a way to prevent mass shootings.

Uh, right. No "Air Marshals" in the classroom either I suppose. Then what the Hell else do you have but gun control?

I predict these Republicrats will throw us under the bus to save their own skins. We need to make sure they understand what that means for their future careers.

Sorry for the rant, but I don't trust a single one of these high and mighty tighty whitey RINO's any further than I can throw a freight train.

ryr8828
12-21-12, 11:37
high and mighty tighty whitey RINO's

I like that.

cinco
12-21-12, 11:47
^^ Doc, unfortunately, I believe your take to be correct.

I can easily see Republican's caving on gun restrictions in exchange for a better deal on the fiscal cliff talks. I bet the Dem's had already put this deal on the table for the RINOs.

The majority of politicians are always weighing issues based upon which gives them more votes. The likely see more votes gained from the taxation issue. A rat's first priority is self-preservation.

TXBob
12-21-12, 13:38
There was another link to the same story (apologies for not finding link) that had the headline that Boehner refused to schedule a vote on the AWB. (AKA the exact opposite of this story).

edit: here it is on Yahoo--http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/boehner-won-t-commit-gun-control-votes-185455080--politics.html

Its spin and hype. Don't feed into it. Write and voice your support for our rights to you representatives.

Doc Safari
12-21-12, 13:41
I agree, don't give up.

I have to admit I've become so mistrusting of these bastards that I automatically look for "how" they're going to screw us, not "if" they're going to screw us.

Belmont31R
12-21-12, 13:43
If he can't get the GOP to agree to a tax raise on less than 1% of the population he ain't going to get them to vote on a gun ban.

Not to mention not every democrat is anti-gun.

The first ban took months and months and didn't pass until they added the sunset clause. That was with a democrat House and a much more anti-gun sentiment nationally.

Hammer your reps guys. I recently rejoined facebook to get better access to my rep. He actually does participate in some of the discussions on there and seeks feedback. Even if its his staffers 95% of the time they still pass on feedback to him.

duece71
12-21-12, 13:48
Not only what Belmont said but drunk uncle is heading up the "commission" which should be downright slow going. What could the commission possibly find out?

Todd00000
12-21-12, 13:59
I agree, don't give up.

I have to admit I've become so mistrusting of these bastards that I automatically look for "how" they're going to screw us, not "if" they're going to screw us.

Me too.

Eurodriver
12-21-12, 15:06
I'm by no means a supporter of the vast majority of RINOs in congress.

However:

They are in safe districts until at least 2020 - they can only lose in the primaries (for most of them).

Voting for an Obama gun ban is not a good career move and they know it.

However, a BAD career move is for the Speaker to come out and say "We are NOT signing ANY gun laws whatsoever. Screw Obama and screw the anti-2nd amendment folks!" while many Americans are scratching their heads going "How did all these kids get massacred?"

Do what the Left does - reframe the argument. I can't find where he said "We'll sign whatever laws the President wants us to"

ryr8828
12-21-12, 15:23
Boehner needs to go, I've thought this since early summer and I think it a lot more strongly after the "fiscal cliff" talks.

Doc Safari
12-21-12, 15:25
However, a BAD career move is for the Speaker to come out and say "We are NOT signing ANY gun laws whatsoever. Screw Obama and screw the anti-2nd amendment folks!" while many Americans are scratching their heads going "How did all these kids get massacred?"

Do what the Left does - reframe the argument. I can't find where he said "We'll sign whatever laws the President wants us to"

I disagree. He should have the courage to say, "We have tried an assault weapons ban before and it did absolutely nothing." That is the proper response.

I've watched what he's doing (or not doing) on the fiscal cliff mess: caving to new taxes, scheduling a vote he almost certainly knew would fail, etc.

We need a new Speaker. Period.

kittyhawk
12-21-12, 15:35
I say if they vote for gun control then they get voted out!!!!!!!!!!! **** them all and the horse they rode in on!!!!!

Alaskapopo
12-21-12, 16:02
^^ Doc, unfortunately, I believe your take to be correct.

I can easily see Republican's caving on gun restrictions in exchange for a better deal on the fiscal cliff talks. I bet the Dem's had already put this deal on the table for the RINOs.

The majority of politicians are always weighing issues based upon which gives them more votes. The likely see more votes gained from the taxation issue. A rat's first priority is self-preservation.

That would piss me off in so many ways. Lets keep giving the 1% huge tax breaks and also lets scew the 99% who can't afford their own body guards with further gun control!:rolleyes:

I was listening to an interview last night on the radio while patrolling. It was the guy from the Brady camp (violence prevention or whatever) He was talking about the last ban and how they made a mistake on caving on allowing a grandfather clause and he said they needed to make the guns themselves so they would not accept a high capacity mag. These guys are clueless and out for blood.
Pat

Eurodriver
12-21-12, 16:13
I disagree. He should have the courage to say, "We have tried an assault weapons ban before and it did absolutely nothing." That is the proper response.

I've watched what he's doing (or not doing) on the fiscal cliff mess: caving to new taxes, scheduling a vote he almost certainly knew would fail, etc.

We need a new Speaker. Period.

Tomorrow's headlines would be:

SPEAKER BOEHNER WANTS TO KEEP ASSAULT WEAPONS IN OUR ELEMENTARY SCHOOLS.

graffex
12-21-12, 16:37
That's why I call him Boner. He is a ****ing tool, and it's people like him that are driving people out of the Republican party in droves.

Doc Safari
12-21-12, 16:42
Tomorrow's headlines would be:

SPEAKER BOEHNER WANTS TO KEEP ASSAULT WEAPONS IN OUR ELEMENTARY SCHOOLS.

I understand this desire to be diplomatic, and not in-your-face, but the media and the antis are going to demagogue it one way or another. Boehner's responses (to me) seemed to give the media an open door to saying, "Even top Republicans appear to support new gun legislation."

So given the fact that the media will spin it, I just want people on our side to tell the truth.

Much as I think Wayne LaPierre was the wrong person to speak on behalf of NRA, at least they had the courage to say, "We've got a problem and the only solution may be armed guards." Even Michael Steel of the GOP didn't take to that one.

**** 'em.

I may go down fighting, but it will be fighting for the truth.

Belmont31R
12-21-12, 16:52
Yup. No matter what Republicans do it will be spun into something.

Elect a black guy....just a token. Don't elect a black guy...racists.

Then they will pit Republicans against each other in interviews, and out right lie in descriptions of events/statements/interviews.

It's about time we play by the same rules, and beat them to the punch.

Jellybean
12-21-12, 22:24
That's why I call him Boner. ...

You to, huh? :laugh:
Apparently our duly elected reps are the epitome of the current rash of spineless sissiness going around, as Boner isn't the first one I've seen talk about caving on this issue.
At this point, I honestly don't care how our good buddies "might" react in our favor on certain legislation- I'm waiting to see actual results.

ChocLab
12-22-12, 00:45

Kfgk14
12-22-12, 00:45
Glad I'm a pawn in the hand of these dirt bags.

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-22-12, 08:12
We shall see. It could be that Bohener realizes this close to the incident that you need to lay low. Saying you will take whatever the panel recommends under advisement is not caving in. You can't say, "%% that, I won't even listen!" Hopefully, he knows that you need to stall, stall, stall, stall. Because as soon as the fiscal cliff, Dancing with the Stars or football or whatever the average American is interested in gets going we can quietly shelve this issue again.

I really don't think a direct frontal attack on the antis by the Republican leadership is a great strategy while the last of the funerals are still on TV. Time is our friend. We need to give people time to think of this, because we know what the knee-jerk response is.

But I absolutely agree that we need to let them no without our support they can go back to selling insurance or cars or cigarettes or whatever it is they did before they became professional criminals.

Jim D
12-22-12, 10:49
Michael Steele said he was disgusted.

Boehner said he'd entertain it.

Scott Brown said he'd support a new ban.

And last night on the Hannity show Rudy Giuliani said he's support a ban, but he doesn't think it'd fix the real problem.

The last two presidential candidates we ran were McCain and Romney...

The face of our party in the media is a bunch of cowards that don't understand the 2nd amendment.

I'm sorry, but I can almost guarantee that they'll cave on the fiscal cliff vote, and they'll cave on any gun bill that gets brought forward.

Maybe it's time to switch our voter affiliations to a 3rd party like Libertarian and start trying to make that movement more powerful.

og556
12-22-12, 11:12
We have more protection at DMVs than at elementary and middle schools.

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-22-12, 11:16
Scott brown was a mass senator. Steele has been mad at the Republicans since he got the boot.

wetidlerjr
12-22-12, 11:26
We shall see. It could be that Bohener realizes this close to the incident that you need to lay low. Saying you will take whatever the panel recommends under advisement is not caving in. You can't say, "%% that, I won't even listen!"...

I agree. The Speaker has only agreed to talk. I wouldn't read too much into this. If he says anything else, he will be the bad guy.

J Krammes
12-22-12, 11:57
I herd on Fox this morning that there is talk in the GOP of replacing Boner with Rand Paul...

ryr8828
12-22-12, 11:59
I herd on Fox this morning that there is talk in the GOP of replacing Boner with Rand Paul...
Rand Paul is a Senator.

J Krammes
12-22-12, 12:05
I don't know what they were talking about then, because I swear that is what they said.

buzz_knox
12-22-12, 12:08
They were discussing Paul Ryan.

J Krammes
12-22-12, 12:40
:ph34r:

Magic_Salad0892
12-23-12, 01:05
That's why I call him Boner.

Isn't that how it's pronounced?

I'm not joking. I thought that was really his name. How do you pronounce it?

Denali
12-23-12, 01:51

Rand Paul is a senator, the speculation surrounds Paul Ryan...

Denali
12-23-12, 01:52
Isn't that how it's pronounced?

I'm not joking. I thought that was really his name. How do you pronounce it?

Its pronounced Baner(Bohner).

Magic_Salad0892
12-23-12, 01:55
Its pronounced Baner(Bohner).

Oh. Whatever. **** that guy. I'm callin' him Boner anyway.

Thanks for the correction though. :)

SMETNA
12-23-12, 02:18
We have more protection at DMVs than at elementary and middle schools.

Worse than that:

We have armed security to protect the Brinks armored trucks full of money.

But not buildings full of our kids.

What's that say about us? About what's really important to us. Disgraceful

Magic_Salad0892
12-23-12, 02:22
Worse than that:

We have armed security to protect the Brinks armored trucks full of money.

But not buildings full of our kids.

What's that say about us? About what's really important to us. Disgraceful

To be fair though, I do think that banks are higher risk than schools, but I do agree with what you're getting at.