PDA

View Full Version : Trend towards using nylon bristle chamber brushes

Kisara
02-23-08, 18:18
I'm seeing more people at carbine courses who use chamber brushes with nylon bristles. I've never had or heard of a problem using the military 8/36 threaded bronze/steel bristles, which I get for free.

http://i26.tinypic.com/205sa47.jpg
http://i25.tinypic.com/2l8xh06.jpg

These are all 8/32 threaded. I can see someone getting these for compatibility with their civilian cleaning rods, but is there any other benefit to using nylon, i.e. better cleaning, longer lasting, maybe more delicate on the weapon (i.e. those precision bench types who pamper their barrels).

Trim2L
02-23-08, 18:25
I'm seeing more people at carbine courses who use chamber brushes with nylon bristles. I've never had or heard of a problem using the military 8/36 threaded bronze/steel bristles, which I get for free.

http://i26.tinypic.com/205sa47.jpg
http://i25.tinypic.com/2l8xh06.jpg

These are all 8/32 threaded. I can see someone getting these for compatibility with their civilian cleaning rods, but is there any other benefit to using nylon, i.e. better cleaning, longer lasting, maybe more delicate on the weapon (i.e. those precision bench types who pamper their barrels).

In my experience Nylon brushes are nearly worthless.

markm
02-23-08, 18:26
I can't see the need for these. It'd take a pretty slick talking snake oil salesman to con me into the notion that I should buy these over the GI brushes.

abarth
02-24-08, 02:17
Same experience with Trim2L.

jmart
02-24-08, 08:07
They do have two advantages over bronze:

(1) They are easier on your barrel. Not an issue at all if talking about chrome lined barrels, but some SS match grade barrels owners are pretty anal about using even bronze brushes.

(2) Solvents don't attack them, you can use a solvent that has some ammonia in it, but the brush will last.

The only negative about them is they don't work nearly as well. Just a minor point of order.

Bob Reed
02-24-08, 10:37
Hello Kisara:

Who makes/offers the Blue Brushes in the photo?

Thanks,
Bob

jmart
02-24-08, 11:17
Not Kisara, but they're made by IOSSO. I've seen them in the Sinclair's catalog, not sure who else carries them.

sgtlmj
02-24-08, 12:38
Keeping your chamber clean is a pretty big deal. Most are chrome lined, so I wouldn't worry about using a bronze/steel chamber brush in it. I also use the AR specific chamber mops afterwards to get all the residue out.

Bob Reed
02-24-08, 13:30
Thanks jmart.

threebanger
02-24-08, 15:22
I think nylons are a good idea if you plan on using copper solvents IE: Boretech or Sweets.

skyugo
02-25-08, 22:00
one thing i've heard is that nylon brushes tend to retain grit which may damage your chamber.
a bronze brush really shouldn't scratch a chromed or even a non-chromed chamber.

Slinger
02-26-08, 06:46
I think nylons are a good idea if you plan on using copper solvents IE: Boretech or Sweets.

Not picking on you, but if you're going to use a copper remover as strong as sweets, why not just run a soaked patch thru the bore- The nylon brush isn't going to lift anything. And, I agree with the one fella that said nylon brushes are next to worthless.

markm
02-26-08, 07:49
And why would you use copper solvents in the chamber? :confused:

jmart
02-26-08, 08:37
You aren't going to use Sweets in your chamber but you might use something like Butch's or Shooter's Choice. Both have small quantities of ammonia and work on copper, and as such, will attack bronze bore bristles over time.

The main reason people use these is twofold:

They last longer. Solvents don't attack them like they do a bronze brush and you'll never get a false positive with a nylon brush like you will with a bronze brush.

Secondly, they are very gentle on your barrel. So gentle in fact, that in my book they don't work all that well. They offer zero advantage for a chrome lined bore other than extended brush life. And while I don't own a match grade SS Krieger, if I did I might consider these, but I'd probably be more inclined to go with foaming bore care products and minimize my time running rods and jags up and down my match barrel.

Heavy Metal
02-26-08, 08:40
They would be good to wrap a patch of JB over.

02-26-08, 09:15
(1) They are easier on your barrel. Not an issue at all if talking about chrome lined barrels, but some SS match grade barrels owners are pretty anal about using even bronze brushes.

This sentiment has always puzzled me.

There are people out there that stress about brush material/ technique, yet they have no problem pressure-forging an oversized slug down the barrel with tens of thousands of PSI of hot gasses behind it, pushing the projectile three times the speed of sound against the bore.

Do these people actually shoot? If I worried about a brush going down the barrel, I'd just keep my guns in their cases.