PDA

View Full Version : Feds raid gun shop where shooter's mom bought one of the guns

Doc Safari
12-21-12, 15:15
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/12/20/connecticut-shop-where-nancy-lanza-bought-1-of-her-guns-raided-by-feds/

At least one of the guns the 20-year-old had on him during the attack was purchased at Riverview Sales by his mother, Nancy Lanza, who was shot to death by her son prior to his rampage at the school.

All indications are Thursday’s raid was not directly related to the Newtown massacre investigation...

Right. That's what the unicorns were telling me too.

... but, as Besthoff reported, it was related to several other crimes committed at the store, including the recent theft of an AR-15 and the attempted theft of a .50-caliber long gun, both by a man with mental illness, Besthoff reported.

And the investigation just happened to coincide with the timing of the shooting. Man, these guys are GOOD.

I will tell you guys one thing: we are in a climate where you'd better not **** up if you've even touched a gun.

These antis are like sharks smelling blood in the water. Especially be careful what you say on the internet. With threats of confiscation in New York, panic buying all over the country, protesters shouting down the NRA, and whatnot, we are entering a very precarious time.

God forbid there should be another school shooting, a terrorist attack, or even a gun fight among drug dealers and our rights are TOAST.

tb-av
12-21-12, 15:32
http://www.wfsb.com/story/20386683/south-windsor-man-accused-of-stealing-guns-planning-attacks

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/50266273

Starting to sound like they are wondering if a second shooter got away. Or was this kid already in custody? I'm not clear on that. Although I guess someone would have seen a second shooter.... but possibly not.

I think this is the issue right here...

A police report on Saturday's incident offered no explanation for Marsh's alleged conduct, but in his earlier case he told officers he was trying to establish a gun collection.

He told police he would go to Riverview Sales in East Windsor, a gun shop, and steal rifles. First, he told officers, he'd decide on a gun to take, grab ammunition to go with it, then grab the firearm and walk out of the store. He said he frequented the store on days he knew it would be busy and that store staff would be occupied and not watching him.

"I selected the business to steal the rifles because it was so easy to walk out of the business with a rifle and ammunition and not be stopped or questioned," Marsh wrote a statement, according to an arrest warrant affidavit.

He was caught in the first case after a customer watched him carry a box of ammunition and a rifle out of the store without paying. The man thought it was odd, wrote down Marsh's license plate number, then told the store owner.

East Windsor police found Marsh at his home in South Windsor. He admitted to stealing the rifles and shotguns, as well as other thefts at the Sears, Lowe's and Bob's stores in Manchester and two grocery stores.

In his first case, Marsh was initially found to be incompetent to stand trial and was sent to a state mental hospital. He was treated and later found to be competent to stand trial.

"He said he only took what he needed so it was not that bad of a thing to do," according to a warrant. "Jordan Marsh wanted to include in his statement that he only took these items to save money and he thinks his brain injury makes him do 'crazy things' without fearing the repercussions."

http://articles.courant.com/2012-12-17/news/hc-bushmaster-theft-1218-20121217_1_jordan-marsh-rifles-east-windsor-police

Sensei
12-21-12, 15:49
http://www.wfsb.com/story/20386683/south-windsor-man-accused-of-stealing-guns-planning-attacks

The East Windsor Police Department said Marsh stole at least a dozen guns from the store over the past few years and the store owners did not know any of the weapons were taken until detectives told them.

About five years ago, there were another three dozen guns from the store that were unaccounted.

WTF? Something tells me that the owner was not running a legit business.

Sensei
12-21-12, 15:54
"He said he only took what he needed so it was not that bad of a thing to do," according to a warrant. "Jordan Marsh wanted to include in his statement that he only took these items to save money and he thinks his antisocial personality disorder makes him do 'crazy things' without fearing the repercussions."

There, I fixed it...

milosz
12-21-12, 16:10
So they raided a FFL after finding out that one individual had stolen over a dozen firearms from that shop?

I don't think we need to conspiracy theorize on why they got raided.

tb-av
12-21-12, 16:44

Holy cow! I didn't read that whole thing. Missed that....

Yeah, that's not going to go over well. Although it sounds like we don't have all the context. Why would detectives allow that to go on once they knew it. It's not like 5 years ago was the dark ages of firearms sales.

Doc Safari
12-21-12, 16:47
The timing is what I find interesting. They obviously had enough to make this raid before the shootings. I don't believe for a second that they were "that close to a bust" and it all came together after the shootings.

Bullshit.

They timed it for maximum propaganda value.

tb-av
12-21-12, 17:06
Ironic Holder was in town. Hell this could have been another one his wild ass schemes.

Wow wouldn't that be something if he was running another gun scam out of that shop and it just happened to get caught up in the shooting?

Yeah the timing is clear but still they are not making themselves look very good for having allowed it to go on for so long. Something sounds wrong on both sides of this one to me.

Man things get complicated to reason out when you have to consider the politicians are known crooks too. Crooked politicians and principal participants that are mentally deficient. What a combination.

Sensei
12-21-12, 17:06
The timing is what I find interesting. They obviously had enough to make this raid before the shootings. I don't believe for a second that they were "that close to a bust" and it all came together after the shootings.

Bullshit.

They timed it for maximum propaganda value.

I got the impression that the confluence of 2 separate investigations brought attention to this dealer and resulted in the raid. On one hand, you have a mass murder involving at least one gun purchased at this shop. At the same time, you have a guy caught shop lifting guns from this shop, and a search of his home turns up another dozen guns that were stolen from the same shop but never reported. Then, there is the fact that this shop has a history of guns walking and not being reported.

This seems a lot more like the authorities doing their job rather than an anti-2nd Amendment agenda.

Iraq Ninja
12-21-12, 17:07

Or maybe ****ed up on record keeping.

A big Houston based gun shop is voluntarily surrendering their FFL next month. Part of their problem was being unable to account for many many firearms. This news came from the ATF.

Doc Safari
12-21-12, 17:13
Ironic Holder was in town. Hell this could have been another one his wild ass schemes.

Wow wouldn't that be something if he was running another gun scam out of that shop and it just happened to get caught up in the shooting?

Man, I don't even want to go there without nearly absolute proof. What if there was a 'Fast & Furious' where the ATF allowed guns to somehow walk into the hands of people with "special needs children" hoping for more shootings.

Nah, that's too horrible to contemplate. Alex Jones wouldn't have even come up with that.

Still, you know that gun shop had to have been under scrutiny for a while.

Anybody out there who has an FFL: better make sure your bread is buttered on the right side on everything you do!

EDITED TO ADD: I base my doubt about the raid being a coincidence partly on the fact that two gun shops in this area just happened to get raided around the time that Fast & Furious was coming out.

Sensei
12-21-12, 17:18

A big Houston based gun shop is voluntarily surrendering their FFL next month. Part of their problem was being unable to account for many many firearms. This news came from the ATF.

At some point negligence becomes criminal. While I'm not ready to convict the shop owner, I have no problems with law enforcement exercising their due diligence to gather the facts.

Iraqgunz
12-21-12, 17:30
Screw the gun business. I am investing in tin foil stocks

NWPilgrim
12-21-12, 18:42
Screw the gun business. I am investing in tin foil stocks

Yeah, its capitalist speculators such as yourself that drive up the price of tinfoil for those of us that need to buy it every week!

skullworks
12-23-12, 12:35

Same thing happened to Red Jacket, didn't it?

7 RING
12-23-12, 19:09
It's no surprise that the Feds are looking at gun shops where weapons used in the school shooting were purchased. As long as the shop is legit, the owner will have no problems at all.

It pays to dot all of your i's and cross all of your t's.

glocktogo
12-23-12, 19:56
I worked as a store manager for a shop with an FFL for 4 years. We never lost a gun. Not one. If you're having a dozen guns stolen without noticing or resolving the issue, you're doing it wrong.

This seems to be a regulatory issue with merit on the face of it. The timing is shitty, but if you don't want additional scrutiny under a hostile administration, keep your affairs in order. It makes the rest of the gun community look bad! :(