PDA

View Full Version : The Hobbit (review)

WillBrink
12-21-12, 18:02
Had enough reality for the week, went to see The Hobbit in IMax 3D.

If you liked the Lord Of The Rings, you'll like this one, but it's not at the same level as Lord Of The Rings. It's also clearly going to be Part 1 of a series, which I didn't know about. My fault for not checking, but was left feeling a tad unsatisfied at the end not knowing this is going to be a series. The Hobbit is all about taking on that dragon, and they don't get to the damn dragon, but they do fight just about everything else.

CGI is great, but over used vs Lord Of The Rings which augmented the movie greatly to be sure, but was second to the acting and human back story. Hobbit depends too much on over the top CGI I thought, the action/fighting is a tad cartoonish compared to Lord Of the Rings (but The Hobbit was intended for a younger audience as a book and I suspect they decided to follow that with the movie?) but has its moments and a few battle scenes are visually epic.

Gets a B+ from me.

CyberM4
12-21-12, 18:29
Series for the Hobbit? What series:big_boss: holywood dragging the Hobbit along. There where only 4 books hollywood. Thanks for the review.

feedramp
12-21-12, 18:30
Thanks for the review Will!

NWPilgrim
12-21-12, 18:33
Thanks for the review. I liked the books when I was a kid and the Lord of Rings was pretty good visuals. I really hate the over done CGI in some action movies. Like you said it becomes cartoonish.

Probably wait for this to come out on DVD then, or Turner Classic Movies. :laugh:

WillBrink
12-21-12, 19:03
Series for the Hobbit? What series:big_boss: holywood dragging the Hobbit along. There where only 4 books hollywood. Thanks for the review.

Lord of the rings needed at least 3 movies to do, and they an amazing job of it. Didn't even occur to me the Hobbit would not be a stand alone movie as it's not a big book nor a complex story. I don't think it warrants 3 part series. Oh well. Of course I'll still see the others! But, if Lord Of The Rings is an A+ (was for me), I'd have to say the Hobbit is a step below that for me.

jaxman7
12-21-12, 19:41
Someone correct me if my info is wrong but I believe there will only be 2 movies.

-Jax

montanadave
12-21-12, 19:42
I've read a few reviews elsewhere that discussed Jackson's use of a much higher frame rate (48 frames/sec) to enhance the 3D effects but that these higher frame rates create such a sharp image that it actually detracts from the scenes where CGI isn't employed. People have described it as almost "too real" with sets, costumes, props shown in such sharp detail that every imperfection is discernible, thus revealing them as artificial.

You described some of the scenes as "cartoonish." What was your impression of the visual quality of the film? It almost seems as if the studio is putting up a ton of money and giving Peter Jackson a lot of latitude in experimenting with some new film techniques, hoping the Tolkien/LOTR brand will pay the freight.

Taking this one step further, James Cameron is reportedly planning to film Avatar 2 at 60 frames/second.

WillBrink
12-22-12, 08:58
Someone correct me if my info is wrong but I believe there will only be 2 movies.

-Jax

I hope so. When I looked on the net to see (after realizing I had just seen a movie that was clearly part of a series) it said 3 movies. Two wold be much better to be sure.

WillBrink
12-22-12, 09:03
I've read a few reviews elsewhere that discussed Jackson's use of a much higher frame rate (48 frames/sec) to enhance the 3D effects but that these higher frame rates create such a sharp image that it actually detracts from the scenes where CGI isn't employed. People have described it as almost "too real" with sets, costumes, props shown in such sharp detail that every imperfection is discernible, thus revealing them as artificial.

You described some of the scenes as "cartoonish." What was your impression of the visual quality of the film? It almost seems as if the studio is putting up a ton of money and giving Peter Jackson a lot of latitude in experimenting with some new film techniques, hoping the Tolkien/LOTR brand will pay the freight.

Taking this one step further, James Cameron is reportedly planning to film Avatar 2 at 60 frames/second.

Where as Rings was visually consistently good, Hobbit is inconsistent, some scenes being amazing and visually stunning, some being just "off", or exposing artificial props and scenes. Consistency one scene to the next was this films problem. I was not sure if that was the higher frame rate, 3D effects, or other, but it was noticeable for sure.

Mark71
12-22-12, 18:43

-Jax

I have read that it was supposed to only be two but they had enough footage to make it a trilogy. Part two is in December 2013 and then the third in 2014.

http://screenrant.com/hobbit-3-movie-trilogy/

I am a big LOTR fan and hope to this The Hobbit sometime this week.

jaxman7
12-22-12, 22:17
Thanks for the clarification Mark71.

Big LOTR fan myself.

Saw the Return of the King at the midnight premier and literally sat between Gandalf and an Orc! Pretty cool night for a closet geek like myself.

-Jax

Magic_Salad0892
12-23-12, 01:47
I absolutely loved the book.

I can't wait to see the movie.

I liked the LOTR movies, but the books were soooo boring. Tolkien got better with The Hobbit.

Brimstone
12-23-12, 02:05
This was the first book that I remember reading as a kid. I saw the movie with the kids this week and it was a great. The kids liked it so much that my ten year old is reading the book now to see how it ends.

SMETNA
12-23-12, 02:46
Had enough reality for the week, went to see The Hobbit in IMax 3D.

If you liked the Lord Of The Rings, you'll like this one, but it's not at the same level as Lord Of The Rings. It's also clearly going to be Part 1 of a series, which I didn't know about. My fault for not checking, but was left feeling a tad unsatisfied at the end not knowing this is going to be a series. The Hobbit is all about taking on that dragon, and they don't get to the damn dragon, but they do fight just about everything else.

CGI is great, but over used vs Lord Of The Rings which augmented the movie greatly to be sure, but was second to the acting and human back story. Hobbit depends too much on over the top CGI I thought, the action/fighting is a tad cartoonish compared to Lord Of the Rings (but The Hobbit was intended for a younger audience as a book and I suspect they decided to follow that with the movie?) but has its moments and a few battle scenes are visually epic.

Gets a B+ from me.

I agree with all of this. My thoughts exactly. LoTR was darker, grittier, more realistic. The Hobbit is more lighthearted and way more full of CGI.

I give it a 8.0/10

Magic_Salad0892
12-23-12, 02:47
I agree with all of this. My thoughts exactly. LoTR was darker, grittier, more realistic. The Hobbit is more lighthearted and way more full of CGI.

I give it a 8.0/10

Lord of the Rings was probably more epic too. I mean...

Helms Deep.

'Nuff said.

chadbag
12-27-12, 12:02
We saw The Hobbit yesterday. I quite liked it. More than I liked LotR movies, actually.

For one basic reason:

In the Hobbit they add all sorts of things, but they did not really drastically change the things they used from the book.

In LotR, they changed all sorts of things. As a big fan of the books (read countless times), I can deal with additions much more than changes.

One thing I wished they had done, was include more of Tolkien's songs. Some were there, but not enough. I was particularly looking forward to the little birds in the tree song when they were up the tree and the fire was spreading. Unfortunately, it did not happen.

(And they did change the bit with the Eagles in terms of where the Eagles deposited them)...

I watched it in 2D and don't know if I had the 48fps as it looked "normal" to me.

Saw a morning matinee which was only $6.25 per person. And I had a popcorn voucher as well for free popcorn at this place, and $4 on a gift card left over, so it was a cheap morning for me and the boy (my son).

--

ForTehNguyen
12-27-12, 17:34

-Jax

No there will be 3:
An Unexpected Journey
Desolation of Smaug
There and Back Again

bondmid003
12-27-12, 20:12
A lot more cg is the result of a far more fantastical story vice one grounded in conflicts of men. There are actually very few men in the story until bard the bowman kills smaug