PDA

View Full Version : Cabela's Austin, TX vows "no price gouging!"

M4Fundi
12-21-12, 18:49
I spent some time with the Director of Guns Sales at the Austin/Buda, TX Cabelas and told him that some of the guns he had for sale could fetch far more on the internet today and probably a ridiculous amount in a few weeks, etc... and he said, " NO! We will not price gouge, we will conduct our buying and selling as usual and not change our prices or practices because of current events! I don't believe in doing that and I hope people will remember that we chose to treat them fairly everyday......" you get the jist, but I was really impressed and they have not changed any of their prices there as far as I can tell. I have heard that Cabelas has some bad practices regarding their Private Hunting Reserve practices, but I was genuinely impressed with their integrity today. Just thought you should know and that you can get fair prices at this particular store.

J-Dub
12-21-12, 19:43
good, atleast someone isnt.

Just go look at gunbroker. I saw a colt 6920 socom for 3k!!! lol you've got to be a dumbass to pay that.

We can blame all the morons willing to get ripped off and the assholes willing to rip the morons off.

DocHolliday01
12-21-12, 21:34
That's because they price gouge year round. No need to raise their already ridiculous prices.

Alaskapopo
12-21-12, 21:34
good, atleast someone isnt.

Just go look at gunbroker. I saw a colt 6920 socom for 3k!!! lol you've got to be a dumbass to pay that.

We can blame all the morons willing to get ripped off and the assholes willing to rip the morons off.

That is the free market economy. I don't blame anyone. If someone wants to pay for something and someone wants to sell it to them and both agree to the price thereis nothing to complain about.
Pat

Belmont31R
12-21-12, 22:08
That's because they price gouge year round. No need to raise their already ridiculous prices.

During the 2008/2009 run that store was selling 1k rds of Federal XM193 for either 649 or 699.

They have always been high priced on ammo and firearms. Easy to find the same stuff 20% cheaper online.

I remember they got a shit ton of Husqvarna bolt action rifles in (used), and most of them sat there for a year. Half of them were in odd calibers like 9.3x64 and stuff Americans don't shoot. They were asking like double what similar rifles were going for online. I asked if they'd consider matching some similar rifle's I found online, and nope. They continued to sit.

I've seen 6920's there for over $1500 when everyone else was $1000 or $1100.

Not really a store for someone who knows how much they should pay. They rely on the ignorant and panic buyers I guess.

theblackknight
12-21-12, 23:24
you guys should start a list of known gougers.

J-Dub
12-23-12, 09:10
That is the free market economy. I don't blame anyone. If someone wants to pay for something and someone wants to sell it to them and both agree to the price thereis nothing to complain about.
Pat

Thats cool. And I can also say **** all of them too and refuse to do business with those who are gouging and pulling semi autos from their shelves. Which I will.

threeheadeddog
12-23-12, 09:31
I dont mean to be a dick, but get over the price gouging thing. I have given a fair share of mags away in the last week, but if someone were to want to buy 5 off me I would be charging $30 a piece. Not because I am an ASS but because that is what I value them at in this climate. I wouldnt get rid of my AR's for anything and it would take $1.5k or more to rid me of my arsenal 106. Does that make me crazy, and asshole, someone who is preying on the unfortunate? It is what it is. There have been times when I was only interested in trades that involved a Glock or silver, no cash. If that is what they want at the moment they are selling than so be it.

RIDE
12-23-12, 11:43
I believe in the free market... You have to understand why folks ARE paying huge money right now... It's WORTH IT for them... These aren't folks that are sitting on a dozen complete AR's, 200 PMag's, and 3 BCG's per AR and 10k rounds of ammo.

The folks paying giant money for stuff are doing so because they don't have anything, or much and are concerned they won't be able to get them in the future. So if they want it, they will pay a pretty penny for it.

Liken it to a CCW situation.. How much would you pay for a G19 with a 15 rd magazine, with 15 rounds of +P hollow points if a bad guy had a gun pointed at you and your family? $1000? $10,000? Every cent you ever had?

It's not hobbyists nor professionals that are hurt by these soaring prices and panic.. It's folks that always THOUGHT about getting an AR and didn't. Folks that prepared for such things aren't panicked, in fact, depending on just how well they prepared they are probably making money hand or fist and putting that towards other things that haven't skyrocketed in price overnight (silver, gold, optics, food storage, etc).

All that being said... Retailers and distributors that do not raise prices and simply make more money on volume instantly go on my "always buy from, even if its a little more money than elsewhere" list in order to support them now and in the future.

theblackknight
12-23-12, 13:14
Why are people always so absolute?

I love a free market. It lets people gouge if they want to and I say,if you have the ability,need,and desire, gouge all day. or take"the high road" and stand to build a more loyal and supportive customer base and the company stands to make more money in the long run from that.

sent from mah gun,using my sights

Shadow1198
12-24-12, 01:20
I used to work at that store until I had enough. They have some pretty ridiculous used gun trade/sell policies as far as what percentages the company expects to get from a used gun. To give you an idea, they frequently have used LE trade in Glocks for $500-550, no ****ing joke. Also their standard retail prices for most everything are 10-20% higher, so when they have their big sales they can drop back down to what is a standard retail price everywhere else and say they're cutting costs significantly. Cabela's turned itself in to another Academy that's bigger and has the appearance of being cooler, but is still just a lowly "Academy" chain store, with all the low quality practices that entails.