PDA

View Full Version : Minuteman Updates

Diz
02-23-08, 22:25
Based on some feedback, I have made a few updates. I now have FDE "non-skid" material for the shoulder straps as an alternative to black.

I have also experimented with some alternate hardware for the split front rig. Since this rig now has two SR buckles in the front middle, you no longer need SR buckles every where to get in and out of the thing. So I am using tri-glide or double bar buckles as an alternative to SR buckles on the shoulder and back straps. This hardware lays flatter and is more comfortable. The 1 1/2" triglides on the shoulder strap front are reversed and the excess strap material is tucked behind the buckle and down the vest back. This makes the buckle as flat as possible so it doesn't interfer with a mag drawstroke. Some guys were concerned about the 1 1/2" SR buckle there. Originally I was just direct sewing it on request, which works, but I like to have a little adjustability in both front and back, so I think this is a better solution. The strap position has also been moved inboard, between the first two mags (instead of centered on the 2d mag), so it is in roughly the same position as a solid front rig. I actually like it here better, as it is more out of the way.

And finally, I have FDE kydex on the way, as an alternative to black.

Here's an experimental rig with some updates. This is a 6-mag Minuteman, w/ split front and "H" harness. Notice the FDE shoulder pad. And the alternate hardware. I used contrasting coyote tan webbing on ranger green cordura, which gives it an interesting effect. A tip of the hat to John at OSOE for the inspiration.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v349/MtnDiz/mm6sfh.jpg

DamnYank!
02-23-08, 23:52
looks NICE! have an email in to you regarding a rig... thanks!

Impact
02-24-08, 00:08
very nice..me likey...:)

Hawkeye
02-24-08, 06:45
I like the changes....:cool:

Pave_rifle
02-24-08, 08:02
As usual Diz great work. I can't wait untill I get my rig in.:D

S/G

John

USMC03
02-24-08, 09:01
Well thought out and excellent execution!!! Very nice, Diz!

S/F,
Jeff

Blake
02-24-08, 11:06
What are some of the reasonings for going with a split front rig as opposed to a traditional rig with a solid row of pouches?

GIFFMANN
02-24-08, 11:18
Diz,
Very nice!

I need your mailing addy to send you that material. Also, I may have found an alternate source for you.

Giff

Hawkeye
02-24-08, 14:36
What are some of the reasonings for going with a split front rig as opposed to a traditional rig with a solid row of pouches?

I have always liked my 2 piece TT MAV rig, for a number of reasons. So when I was thinking about this one, and talking with Diz, we found that both had a bunch of the same thoughts/ideas.
I like the 2 piece because its fast and easy to get in and out of, you have more of your centerline open to allow for heat to escape, and a little more air flow. I one is laying in a low prone for an extended period, its easy to simply unbuckle the buckles, and open each side out from under you, and not have to remove the entire rig. Those are but a few things that we had in mind.

Diz
02-24-08, 17:23
What John said.

What I didn't fully realize is what splitting the front changes in the way of hardware requirements. I basically went back to the LBV concept of adjustment versus release buckles. One major improvement over the LBV design though. The front shoulder adjustment buckles were high up on the pad, which interfered with good buttstock contact, so on most current rigs you see them down lower. But when you set them too far down, they can interfer with the mag drawstroke. Kinda between the devil and the deep blue here. So by using low profile hardware, and reversing the way it threads, I'm trying to have some adjustment and keep it out of the way.

I just finished a Swampfox using these new features and it came out really well.

Again, split front rigs aren't for everybody, but it's one way to go.

I still like my solid front Minuteman. It is still probably a bit faster to get into (if you don't tangle the straps). You can throw it on and fight, buckling the back when time permits.

But for extended wear/training, the split front is a nice-to-have.

Redhat
02-24-08, 21:20
Pardon my ignorance, but is their a site where I can see all DIZ has to offer?

Thanks

Hawkeye
02-25-08, 05:41
Not at the moment..... hopefully he will at some point.

sjauch
02-25-08, 20:38
Diz, I really like your work. The rig and it's various versions look great.

Would you be willing to share your source for that FDE grip material?

S.

Scarecrow
02-25-08, 20:45
I would love to get my hands on one of them before mob time. How would I go about obtaining one?

Deoje
02-25-08, 22:07
+1......