PDA

View Full Version : Which stock for NSR build?

Skyyr
12-22-12, 20:16
I've got a new Noveske 16" Recce build with a 13.5 NSR rail. I've previously been running a 16" Recon with full length rail, which was rather heavy. My goal is to have the NSR be my light(er)-weight set up, a go-to do-it-all gun.

I love UBRs, but I was advised that the NSR is so light-weight that the UBR offsets the balance too much. Is this the case?

What stock would you recommend, price not being a concern? I preferred the UBR due to the cheek weld and solid lockup. If the UBR is indeed too butt-heavy, what stock would be the next best choice?

Thanks!

nickdrak
12-22-12, 20:37
I like the STR. Right length, good cheekweld, not too heavy. The new "Bravo" stock from B5 looks like a winner too.

Wake27
12-22-12, 21:32
I think the MOE or CTR are probably the best out there for lightweight builds. Or either of ^those^ 2.

Skyyr
12-22-12, 21:48
My primary concern is the weight of the UBR. This isn't a "lightweight" build as much as its an attempt to remove unnecessary weight. Is the UBR too heavy for the NSR? If it isn't, then I'd like to go with it.

TacticalTyler
12-22-12, 22:07
My primary concern is the weight of the UBR. This isn't a "lightweight" build as much as its an attempt to remove unnecessary weight. Is the UBR too heavy for the NSR? If it isn't, then I'd like to go with it.

I have a 16 barrel and a 13.5 NSR , and yes. the UBR is way too heavy for that type of rail. Like what others said, CTR,MOE, Im running just a m4 stock on mine right now. That and not just the weight of the UBR but its length as well.. Makes the gun feel like a you have a 20 inch barrel cause of the long rail an stock. Just whole gun feels way too long.

jaxman7
12-22-12, 22:29
If it's not a light weight build Skyr and balance is a key concern I'd just buy an internal storage stock and if doesn't feel right start adding CR123s or something else that fits the storage compartment/compartments.

-Jax

krisjon
12-23-12, 02:55
I went with a Magpul ACS-L on my latest Noveske build with a 16.7 NSR. It's solid with a good cheek weld and not too heavy.

Magic_Salad0892
12-23-12, 04:44
LMT SOPMOD, B5 Bravo, or VLTOR.

TehLlama
12-23-12, 08:17
The B5, VLTOR IMOD, MagPul STR, and LMT SOPMOD are all the same form factor, the differences are price and features. The IMOD and B5 are easily the best values for what they are.
If you want something a touch heavier, the ACS-L would also be in there worth considering.

skeebinz
12-23-12, 18:06
I have an STR on both of my rifles with NSR rail systems (One 16" Recce w/ a 13.5" NSR and one 10.5" w/ a 9" NSR)

The STR is a perfect stock IMO, I can't buy another CTR again after having that cheek weld :) I've owned the VLTOR emod and a LMT SOPMOD stock (I liked both of them alot) but I still prefer the STR.

cop1211
12-23-12, 20:14
Sopmod, B5 or B5 bravo.

Stickman
12-23-12, 20:43
STR

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%207/STCK3215-A-1200-Stick.jpg

Amur
12-24-12, 07:11
I was going to suggest the SOPMOD (LMT/B5...your choice).

What are the differences, pros/cons between the SOPMOD and the STR? I have a few SOPMODS, but no experience with the STR.

Thanks!
Amur

skeebinz
12-24-12, 09:53
Hey stick, a little off-topic but what do you think of that browe optic? Any personal experience with it?

Blak1508
12-24-12, 11:31
I just bought a ACS-L and at first I was kinda skeptic about it, It was between the ACS-L or the STR and I ended up going with the ACS-L. I went to the range yesterday with it and now I am loving it. It does add some weight to the rifle but its on the stock end so it balances it out well. I think you can not go wrong with either and also might want to look at the Bravo B5, that might be my next stock. Primary arms had some of the ACS-L's in stock a few days ago but we all know how that might have changed. Best of luck

Koshinn
12-24-12, 11:50
I was going to suggest the SOPMOD (LMT/B5...your choice).

What are the differences, pros/cons between the SOPMOD and the STR? I have a few SOPMODS, but no experience with the STR.

Thanks!
Amur

Str is stronger, cheaper, locks up tighter, allows access to the battery tubes without removing the stock, and fits an a5 better. The only cons I can think of are that it holds less batteries and you can only qd attach your sling on one side (you have to use tools to move the qd cup to the other side).

Tzook
12-24-12, 21:08
I'm really impressed with my STR in all facets, I'd say grab one

Stickman
12-24-12, 21:17
Hey stick, a little off-topic but what do you think of that browe optic? Any personal experience with it?

Works very well.

GUNSLINGER733
12-24-12, 21:35
The new B5 looks nice and is affordable. I believe it would give a more constant cheek weld unlikely Ctr which I really like also

grunz
12-24-12, 22:42
What optic do you have? It may affect the choice of stocks weight wise IMO.

I have a 16 inch noveske n4 light witha 13.5 nsr. I have a very heavy 24 ounce elcan specter dr as the optic. All the way forward I have surefire fury light and this setup balances right at the magwell front wall with an empty mag. My stock is an old vltor imod with the tubes removed and other things cut down - it weighs only 4.9 oz almost the same as the colt old school N1 stock. The stock is extended just one hole short of full out.

Before this I went through all the big stocks like emod and ACS that weigh 15 ounces and also the ctr wich us 9 or 10 oz. I feel that the big high feature stocks are a potentual waste of weight.

Skyyr
12-24-12, 23:40
What optic do you have? It may affect the choice of stocks weight wise IMO.

I have a 16 inch noveske n4 light witha 13.5 nsr. I have a very heavy 24 ounce elcan specter dr as the optic. All the way forward I have surefire fury light and this setup balances right at the magwell front wall with an empty mag. My stock is an old vltor imod with the tubes removed and other things cut down - it weighs only 4.9 oz almost the same as the colt old school N1 stock. The stock is extended just one hole short of full out.

Before this I went through all the big stocks like emod and ACS that weigh 15 ounces and also the ctr wich us 9 or 10 oz. I feel that the big high feature stocks are a potentual waste of weight.

I'll be running an Aimpoint on this - not sure whether I'll be going with the micro or M4. I don't have the optic in-hand yet, I'm just finally going forward with this build due to recent events and the hints of a AWB. I've got everything for the rifle itself in-hand except for the buffer tube (still looking for an VLTOR).

I've been running a 16" Noveske Recon (stainless) with full length rails, a UBR, and a Nightforce 2.5-10x24. It's an awesome precision weapon that can be used for carbine-courses, but it's not very comfortable to use for extended periods of time. It balances perfectly, it's just heavy and I don't use the rail real-estate much at all.

This build is to be used whenever the other is unpractical, mainly due to weight and overall size or when shooting in volume vs precision. That said, I absolutely love the UBR, but everyone I've talked to has said not to use it on an NSR build. I ran the numbers and it ends up being a 1.6lb weight savings when combined with the weight reduction of the NSR rails, so I'll defer to the experience of others.

I'm leaning towards the ACS-L or ACS. I like the STR, but I prefer a slightly longer stock over a shorter one as it allows more room in awkward shooting positions for a cheekweld, something the UBR was perfect for.

I appreciate all of the input and the photos (Stickman).

Koshinn
12-24-12, 23:50
I'll be running an Aimpoint on this - not sure whether I'll be going with the micro or M4. I don't have the optic in-hand yet, I'm just finally going forward with this build due to recent events and the hints of a AWB. I've got everything for the rifle itself in-hand except for the buffer tube (still looking for an VLTOR).

I've been running a 16" Noveske Recon (stainless) with full length rails, a UBR, and a Nightforce 2.5-10x24. It's an awesome precision weapon that can be used for carbine-courses, but it's not very comfortable to use for extended periods of time. It balances perfectly, it's just heavy and I don't use the rail real-estate much at all.

This build is to be used whenever the other is unpractical, mainly due to weight and overall size or when shooting in volume vs precision. That said, I absolutely love the UBR, but everyone I've talked to has said not to use it on an NSR build. I ran the numbers and it ends up being a 1.6lb weight savings when combined with the weight reduction of the NSR rails, so I'll defer to the experience of others.

I'm leaning towards the ACS-L or ACS. I like the STR, but I prefer a slightly longer stock over a shorter one as it allows more room in awkward shooting positions for a cheekweld, something the UBR was perfect for.

I appreciate all of the input and the photos (Stickman).

Iirc, the str and acs have similar lengths, and there's always the extended butt pad.

Skyyr
12-24-12, 23:57
Iirc, the str and acs have similar lengths, and there's always the extended butt pad.

I actually looked at the two side-by-side today in my local gun store. I didn't have a ruler with me, but the ACS appeared to be about 1/2-3/4" longer than the STR.

grunz
12-25-12, 03:44
Why worry about which stock is longer if you can still run the stock one notch out more on the buffer tube. This would also apply to the magpul enhanced buttplate, just run the stock out one notch more and save weight and cost. Think of the wasted weight if you have a nearly 1 pound anchor like an ACS or Emod stock that's run almost all the way forward on buffer tube.

To the OP given your choice of optic best bet is probably Magpul MOE or CTR or the new B5 bravo.

Skyyr
12-25-12, 11:24
Why worry about which stock is longer if you can still run the stock one notch out more on the buffer tube. This would also apply to the magpul enhanced buttplate, just run the stock out one notch more and save weight and cost.

Because if you use a NTCH (or similar) cheek-weld and you have a decent LOP (aka long arms), the further out you run the stock, the less optimal the cheek-weld can be. This is why the UBR is perfect, the cheek-weld is constant regardless of the stock position.

Think of the wasted weight if you have a nearly 1 pound anchor like an ACS or Emod stock that's run almost all the way forward on buffer tube.

To the OP given your choice of optic best bet is probably Magpul MOE or CTR or the new B5 bravo.

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried the CTR about two years ago and really couldn't bring myself to like it. It felt too light for me and had a non-optimal cheek-weld.

I do like the ACS(L) and the STR. The ACS-L and the STR are virtually the same weight (.78 lbs and .77 lbs, respectively). A regular ACS is only .88 lbs.

Bulletdog
12-25-12, 14:28
I favor the SOPMOD too. Recently tried the B5. Works the same so far.