PDA

View Full Version : update David Gregory breaks D.C. gun law; MPD responds!

OODA_Loop
12-23-12, 09:48
Crossposted from the other site...hoping this guy is taken to task.

He's waving an AR-15 30 round magazine around.

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/7183/davidgregory1.jpg
"DC High Capacity Ammunition Magazines - D.C. Official Code 7-2506.01

(b) No person in the District shall possess, sell, or transfer any large capacity ammunition feeding device regardless of whether the device is attached to a firearm. For the purposes of this subsection, the term �large capacity ammunition feeding device� means a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or similar device that has a capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than 10 rounds of ammunition. The term �large capacity ammunition feeding device� shall not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition.�."

Will he be prosecuted?
update!

"From: "DC Police \(imailagent\)" <customerservice.mpd2@dc.gov>
Subject: Email from DC Police (Intranet Quorum IMA00519327)
Date: December 24, 2012 4:13:12 PM EST
To: <>

The Metropolitan Police Department is in receipt of your e-mail regarding David Gregory segment on "Meet the Press." MPD has received numerous e-mails informing us of the segment. NBC contacted MPD inquiring if they could utilize a high capacity magazine for their segment. NBC was informed that possession of a high capacity magazines is not permissible and their request was denied. This matter is currently being investigated. Thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to our attention.

Customer Service - Metropolitan Police Department"

eperk
12-23-12, 09:54
Hope so.

Spiffums
12-23-12, 10:11
Is he for or against the ban? If he is FOR then he will have journalistic immunity from such laws. :haha:

crackpantspaintr
12-23-12, 10:12
HAHAHAHA!!!

He won't be prosecuted, he is in the media. They do whatever they want.

Good example of what Wayne was saying though. The laws we already have in place aren't enforced. Perfect example

Rohardi
12-23-12, 10:17
I saw that and was thinking the same thing... It's CLEAR he is anti gun and did not even attempt to be objective or impartial.

tb-av
12-23-12, 10:24
I think he is in New York isn't he? He's part of the TODAY show and they are New York based.

Rohardi
12-23-12, 10:30
I think he is in New York isn't he? He's part of the TODAY show and they are New York based.

No, they tape meet the press in DC.

AMMOTECH
12-23-12, 10:33
No, they tape meet the press in DC.

This.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/meeting-the-new-meet-the-press-studio-however-it-looks-the-mission-of-the-program-does-not-change_b24661

Anyone in that local area that can contact LE? :mad:

tb-av
12-23-12, 10:34
Ah, OK, yes, I hope someone nails him. I can't stand that guy.

Litpipe
12-23-12, 10:35
What if it has a limiter? Is that what its called? A device that makes it only accept 10 rounds.

Nevermind...statute reads it is a viation if it can be converted. Prosecute!

Litpipe
12-23-12, 10:38
Actually...you can carry it out to a conspiracy. Someone or some people conspired to transport, into DC, an illegal firearm part. They transfered posession to another person, who is now part of the conspiracy. Hmmmm.....

onado2000
12-23-12, 10:43
I thought NYC has strict mag laws also. To the op, good post! Typical "do as I say not as I do."

yellow50
12-23-12, 10:53
Op , you may be onto something here. ( Are pre ban mags allowed in dc? ) It proves La Piere's point on current laws being ignored. Also, how did Gregory get the mag in to the state ? I would imagine he brought it over state lines since you can not buy them in DC.

Litpipe
12-23-12, 10:56
Goes to my point of conspiracy. Ignorance of the law is not innosence. Good point about preban..but the statute as it is posted here does not mention preban. People worked, in concert to get that magazine to that show to be on air that day.

Airhasz
12-23-12, 10:56
Talking Heads for gun control have immunity...;)

Skyyr
12-23-12, 10:58
Do we have any LE members in DC? Can we post and spread this across multiple forums? All we need is a DC officer who's willing to arrest this idiot - even if charges aren't pressed, it makes the point. Gun laws so insane even reporters can't abide by them.

SWATcop556
12-23-12, 11:00
Moved to GD.

Biggy
12-23-12, 11:37
Will he be prosecuted?

Was E. Holder, or Teddy K.? As they say, " did you ever see a rich man hang" ?
I doubt it. You do know there are two sets of rules/laws, one for the common man and one for the wealthy elite.

The Chappaquiddick incident took place on July 18, 1969 and refers to the death of Mary Jo Kopechne, a female passenger of U.S. Senator Edward M. "Ted" Kennedy when he accidentally drove his car off a bridge and into a tidal channel on Chappaquiddick Island, Massachusetts. Kennedy swam free and left the scene, not reporting within nine hours, but Kopechne died in the vehicle. In the early hours of July 19, Kopechne's body and the car were recovered. Kennedy pleaded guilty to a charge of leaving the scene of an accident after causing injury and received a two-month suspended jail sentence. The incident became a national scandal, and may have influenced Kennedy's decision not to campaign for President of the United States in 1972 and 1976.

AKDoug
12-23-12, 12:06
Would have been better if LaPierre pointed out he was breaking the law.

newyork
12-23-12, 12:15
That would've been awesome

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-23-12, 14:06
It would have been more awesome if Lapiere had made a point of showing how dangerous an aluminium box is. There aren't even sharp edges on the thing...

GunnutAF
12-23-12, 14:35
Seen this on another site- Sent the USDA in D.C an e-mail demanding he be charged! The law doesn't make any exceptions what so ever! He violated the law. If he is not charged then that means the law doesn't apply to anyone! :rolleyes:

Reagans Rascals
12-23-12, 14:43
burn him.... whoever of us is there needs to push this until he is charged...

I live about an hour and half from DC and I'm calling the DA right now

I just informed the White House via their website that this man is guilty of a felony and is to be charged as such or I will inform the Department of Justice myself on their failure to act after being informed

platoonDaddy
12-23-12, 16:33
For many of you young guys, Rowan was on the Agronsky & Co for years and a big supporter of the Iran Revolution. Also as a member of the press, ignored J.F.K ****ing all the babes. He happily stated, no way would I publish those gang-bangs.

He as David Gregory are part of the state-run-media and nothing will happen. They are on the side of 'state'.

Trial Opens for Rowan in Shooting of Trespasser
By WILLIAM K. STEVENS, Special to the New York Times
Published: September 27, 1988

Carl T. Rowan, the columnist and outspoken advocate of gun control, went on trial here today for possessing the unregistered pistol with which he shot a teen-age intruder at his home June 14.

The case, which touched off a furor that continues in the capital, catapulted the gun control issue once more into the spotlight and revived debate about what is acceptable and moral in dealing with an intruder at one's home.

At issue are the events surrounding a post-midnight swim by 18-year-old Benjamin Smith of Chevy Chase, Md., and several companions who came, uninvited, to the pool at Mr. Rowan's home in Northwest Washington. ''Pool hopping,'' as it is called, is a popular pastime among young people in the Washington area. Shot Called Attempted Warning

The 63-year-old Mr. Rowan, who has said that his life had been threatened in the past, has also said that he was confronted by Mr. Smith. He said that he warned the youth that he had a gun, but that the youth lunged at him. He fired what he said was a warning shot, which struck Mr. Smith in the wrist.

newyork
12-23-12, 17:48
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/press-charges-against-david-gregory-possession-30-round-high-capacity-assault-rifle-magazine/gMNRPpPl

glocktogo
12-23-12, 19:59
Seen this on another site- Sent the USDA in D.C an e-mail demanding he be charged! The law doesn't make any exceptions what so ever! He violated the law. If he is not charged then that means the law doesn't apply to anyone! :rolleyes:

Silly man! Laws don't apply to the elite! :rolleyes:

GunnutAF
12-23-12, 20:41
glocktogo
Yep I know this as does every other American as we have a Mass murder in the WH about to be sworn in for a second term! Still doesn't make it right ! :mad: Got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything!:D

Smash
12-23-12, 20:53
California has written into their laws about high cap mags being legal if they're strictly for film or television productions. Anything written about it for there?

glocktogo
12-23-12, 22:31
glocktogo
Yep I know this as does every other American as we have a Mass murder in the WH about to be sworn in for a second term! Still doesn't make it right ! :mad: Got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything!:D

Agreed. My rolleyes emoticon was for them, not you. :)

feedramp
12-23-12, 22:37
Drudge picked this up, btw.

platoonDaddy
12-24-12, 05:59
Drudge picked this up, btw.

Drudge link covers a few on air who have broken the law. I am not holding my breath, waiting for ATF to act.

http://thepatriotperspective.wordpress.com/2012/12/23/david-gregory-violates-dc-gun-law-on-national-tv/

glocktogo
12-24-12, 16:15
So let's see, NBC called MPD and asked for permission. MPD said no. NBC did it anyway, essentially flying the middle finger at a gun law AND the LE agency charged with enforcing it. How does this reinforce their message that gun laws will be helpful? :rolleyes:

Will MPD and/or the DA's office allow the media to taunt them? Seems to me we have a criminal conspiracy to commit a felony here! :D

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-24-12, 17:08
California has written into their laws about high cap mags being legal if they're strictly for film or television productions. Anything written about it for there?

Run a helmet cam and tell everyone you are filming for a reality TV show called 'My Life'.

Scoby
12-24-12, 17:18
So let's see, NBC called MPD and asked for permission. MPD said no. NBC did it anyway, essentially flying the middle finger at a gun law AND the LE agency charged with enforcing it. How does this reinforce their message that gun laws will be helpful? :rolleyes:

Will MPD and/or the DA's office allow the media to taunt them? Seems to me we have a criminal conspiracy to commit a felony here! :D

The hypocrisy of our government and their propaganda machine is profound.

Smash
12-24-12, 17:30
Run a helmet cam and tell everyone you are filming for a reality TV show called 'My Life'.

I'm in NC and from TX I do it all the time.

Moose-Knuckle
12-25-12, 02:55
Someone should have called 911 and reported a middle aged white guy pointing a "high capacity clip" at people in the studio. ;)

Hootiewho
12-25-12, 07:51
It's a shame the PD there hasn't gone after Gregory with they same vigor they did a damn good guy whom I knew personally. A well respected guy on several gun forums who lived in my state, who gave a lot to his country...

http://m.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2012/may/14/miller-injured-vets-guns-stolen-dc/

mikelowrey
12-25-12, 09:56
Gun SAVE lives (http://gunssavelives.net/)

platoonDaddy
12-25-12, 19:13
Washington D.C. Police Chief Cathy Lanier has confirmed that the department is looking into allegations that NBC's David Gregory violated D.C.'s gun banning laws during a recent taping of Meet the Press.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism/2012/12/25/D-C-Police-Investigating-NBC-s-Gregory-For-Violations-of-Gun-Banning-Laws#disqus_thread

Cagemonkey
12-25-12, 19:27
Washington D.C. Police Chief Cathy Lanier has confirmed that the department is looking into allegations that NBC's David Gregory violated D.C.'s gun banning laws during a recent taping of Meet the Press.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism/2012/12/25/D-C-Police-Investigating-NBC-s-Gregory-For-Violations-of-Gun-Banning-Laws#disqus_threadLike anything is going to happen to this clown. He was peddling the AWB/gun control issue. Do you think their going to punish one of their own? Another poor joke.

HackerF15E
12-25-12, 21:27
My favorite part of the article:

In response, Chief Lanier replied, "Yes, we are investigating the incident to determine if the magazine was in fact real."

I know there must be a huge market in fake magazines. It probably was just a dummy magazine, right?

:rolleyes:

theblackknight
12-25-12, 21:53
On that film thing in cali, do you need a actual film permit? Otherwise, the helmetcam thing would work since people get income from youtube partnership.

platoonDaddy
12-26-12, 03:45
It may be even worse for Gregory and NBC News. According to an e-mail received by The Patriots Perspective website, which originally broke the Gregory story, NBC News had inquired whether it was permitted to use the magazine and was told that it was not permitted. The authenticity of the email has not been verified.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/tom-blumer/2012/12/26/nbcs-david-gregory-under-investigation-dc-pd-meet-press-magazine-brandis

Iraqgunz
12-26-12, 03:49
Newsflash- the OP stated that in his updated orginal post at the bottom.

Personally I wish people would leave this stupidity alone and focus on the REAL ISSUE.

It may be even worse for Gregory and NBC News. According to an e-mail received by The Patriots Perspective website, which originally broke the Gregory story, NBC News had inquired whether it was permitted to use the magazine and was told that it was not permitted. The authenticity of the email has not been verified.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/tom-blumer/2012/12/26/nbcs-david-gregory-under-investigation-dc-pd-meet-press-magazine-brandis

montanadave
12-26-12, 04:54
Personally I wish people would leave this stupidity alone and focus on the REAL ISSUE.

I agree. Most everyone here would support Gregory's right to possess a 30-rd magazine AND the rifle to put it in.

But because he was pushing the gun-control position, everyone seems to want him hung from the nearest tree for allegedly breaking a law we all think is bullshit to begin with.

Business_Casual
12-26-12, 05:55
, everyone seems to want him hung from the nearest tree for allegedly breaking a law we all think is bullshit to begin with.

I respectfully disagree with both of you - this is how the left plays the game. Our reluctance to "play at their level" is what has gotten us here. Calls for good sense and compromise are the sounds you hear just before a defeat.

Make them use every resource to just stay in the game - give them no quarter. The communists must be defeated. What follows is a total defeat of the small "r" republicans is bad - the French Terror, the Soviet purges, the Chinese Cultural Revolution and the Pol Pot Killing Fields.

People still don't know with whom we are dealing. These are the children and grand children of the Reds from the 20's and 30's.

bc

wake.joe
12-26-12, 06:00
A better use of time would be to use this as proof-positive, irreversible evidence that gun restrictions just don't work.

This guy does not follow the law, why would a criminal?

BUT, while I do think it is all a waste of time- If it somehow turned out the guy was hung out to dry, I would certainly chuckle.

armakraut
12-26-12, 06:30
I respectfully disagree with both of you - this is how the left plays the game. Our reluctance to "play at their level" is what has gotten us here. Calls for good sense and compromise are the sounds you hear just before a defeat.

Make them use every resource to just stay in the game - give them no quarter. The communists must be defeated. What follows is a total defeat of the small "r" republicans is bad - the French Terror, the Soviet purges, the Chinese Cultural Revolution and the Pol Pot Killing Fields.

People still don't know with whom we are dealing. These are the children and grand children of the Reds from the 20's and 30's.

bc

He should be put to death and his hair sold into white slavery.

Business_Casual
12-26-12, 06:38
He should be put to death and his hair sold into white slavery.

You are quite clever and an excellent speller! Have a nice day.

bc

og556
12-26-12, 06:40
Nothing will come of this. Either it will be swept under the rug or they will cover his ass by presenting some kind of fake magazine as evidence.

Safetyhit
12-26-12, 08:06
I know there must be a huge market in fake magazines. It probably was just a dummy magazine, right?

:rolleyes:

He could have used or claimed to have used an airsoft mag, but somehow I don't think he's that smart. Don't worry though, someone in the dept will successfully make the argument on his behalf and he won't be charged.

Still it really isn't a big deal, as we all know they shouldn't be illegal in the first place. Although there is merit to holding him accountable the way they do us I suppose.

Palmguy
12-26-12, 08:27
I agree. Most everyone here would support Gregory's right to possess a 30-rd magazine AND the rifle to put it in.

But because he was pushing the gun-control position, everyone seems to want him hung from the nearest tree for allegedly breaking a law we all think is bullshit to begin with.

RULE 4: “Make the enemy live up to its own book of rules.” If the rule is that every letter gets a reply, send 30,000 letters. You can kill them with this because no one can possibly obey all of their own rules.

Everyone seems to want him hung because Joe Schmo would hang for the same offense in DC. Why should David Gregory get special treatment because he works for NBC and was using it as a political prop?

montanadave
12-26-12, 08:38
RULE 4: “Make the enemy live up to its own book of rules.” If the rule is that every letter gets a reply, send 30,000 letters. You can kill them with this because no one can possibly obey all of their own rules.

Everyone seems to want him hung because Joe Schmo would hang for the same offense in DC. Why should David Gregory get special treatment because he works for NBC and was using it as a political prop?

Most folks have limited time to spend writing letters. If they've already blitzed their congressional delegation with calls, emails, and written correspondence regarding the proposed AWB and stricter gun control measures, and still have a hankering to write some more letters, by all means, drop a note to NBC.

I'm merely suggesting our time and efforts might be more judiciously allocated.

Mounting a major campaign against MTP and Gregory smacks of petulance and feigned outrage.

Safetyhit
12-26-12, 08:49
Mounting a major campaign against MTP and Gregory smacks of petulance and feigned outrage.

I wouldn't go that far, as legally there was little difference between him holding up that magazine and holding up a couple ounces of cocaine he brought in off the street.

Palmguy
12-26-12, 09:28
Most folks have limited time to spend writing letters. If they've already blitzed their congressional delegation with calls, emails, and written correspondence regarding the proposed AWB and stricter gun control measures, and still have a hankering to write some more letters, by all means, drop a note to NBC.

LOL...I wasn't suggesting people start writing letters. The letter thing in my previous post was simply an example from the list of Alinsky's Rules for Radicals. The only thing I was saying was if it's good for the goose, it's good for the gander.

I couldn't care less about starting or being a part of a major campaign against Gregory or NBC. But that said they should be prosecuted. These are the rules they want to apply to everyone, so be it, let them be subject to the same rules.

glocktogo
12-26-12, 09:49

No, it smacks of slapping the left in the face with a dead fish. They're pushing that dead fish in our face 24/7 and it's time to throw it back at them. Look at it this way, they're GOING to hold us to their devil's pact if they get it. They WILL arrest and prosecute ordinary law abiding citizens for something so simple as having a tube of metal with a spring in it. They WANT this badly. Will it ever stop anyone from going on a killing spree with one? No! Will prosecuting them for a magazine after they've committed mass murder be effective? No!

If they want to see exactly what they're asking for and exactly how it will be used in reality, forcing them to prosecute one of their own is a perfect way to do it. It proves that mag cap bans are stupid and cannot prevent access to them. It proves that the law can and will be misused to make criminals of people with no criminal intent. It proves that liberals are stupid and foolish. Sometimes the only way to prove a point to them is to slap them in the face with it. I see no downside to calling for his arrest and prosecution. None. :mad:

tb-av
12-26-12, 10:00
I wouldn't go that far, as legally there was little difference between him holding up that magazine and holding up a couple ounces of cocaine he brought in off the street.

Except cocaine is generally a bad thing and 30rnd mags are not. But... he helps to make 30rnd mags a bad thing.

I say arrest him and give him his day in court. Then... show the nation how stupid the laws are that he helped make.

------
About the "fake mag" ... I hope they can find another one just like it as proof for that one, which I'm sure has gotten lost by now.

I also agree with the "no quarter" comment. When they undeniably expose themselves to the public for what they are, we have to take advantage of that. That is part of the education process. Unless you want to start going door to door teaching people about how the media is lying to them.

We need this exposure on their propaganda machine. We need their communication machine. How else do you expect to properly educate the masses and open their eyes to the way things should be?

Granted, if we could win a couple of big battles his actions would be meaningless.... we just don't seem to be able to win any big battles lately.... and how many of you still trust the SCOTUS to be sound and reasonable in justice? That is the battle the left is fighting. They are fighting the battle to win the SCOTUS. They are Gen. Washington marching to Yorktown while New York prepares for an attack. If we keep letting them win little battles on their way how exactly do we expect to stop them?

Iraqgunz wrote:

Here is what I think is the real issue...
We are loosing the War on the Constitution. That is Obama's War. It always has been. He told us that before 2008. He needs to capture the SCOTUS to win the war.

I think we fight every battle using both their and our tactics.
What exactly do you see as the "REAL ISSUE" and how exactly should we focus on it? By focus I'm sure you must mean take action, but what exactly do you think is the most beneficial action at this time?

SHIVAN
12-26-12, 10:04
Look, if it would be a felony for me, it should be a felony for him too. Period. The issue is that the law is stupid, if he supports the law, then he supports it, and should take responsibility for breaking it. Period.

If he believes that some people should be exempt from the law, then we have changed the issue, to one of equal protection under the law.

Any way he slices it, he can not be for the law which bans that magazine and also for a special clause that lets "no one special" possess one in the face of it.

He will be pardoned by Obama if he is convicted, count on it.

Magic_Salad0892
12-26-12, 10:21
I believe he should go to prison. If only for breaking a law that he supports.

davidjinks
12-26-12, 11:22
Non stop talk on the radio today about this.

Personally, as retarded as the law is, it is still a law that is on the books and enforceable. He should pay the same penalty as anyone else who would violate the law get.

Will it happen, maybe not. But then again, he may get hammered.

nimdabew
12-26-12, 11:31
On that film thing in cali, do you need a actual film permit? Otherwise, the helmetcam thing would work since people get income from youtube partnership.

From what I have heard from those in the film industry, the LLC or "other" that is doing the filming applies for a permit to have the items in question. No single living person has the rights for the weapon and devices, but are allowed to possess them if they are somehow connected to the corporation doing the filming for entertainment or other purpose explained in the permit application. It is not a loophole for people with cameras to get away with things outlawed by state law. The weapons would have to be stored by the corporation or entity somehow.

The above is anecdotal only and I have no actual case law, written law, or other to fall back on. I only know this because Washington State was rumored to be doing the same thing with SBR's and MG's for film corporations here.

tb-av
12-26-12, 11:35
Will it happen, maybe not. But then again, he may get hammered.

Won't be the first person the left throws under the bus. He might be a sacrificial lamb... The left plays both sides of the fence.

Caeser25
12-26-12, 11:40
A better use of time would be to use this as proof-positive, irreversible evidence that gun restrictions just don't work.

This guy does not follow the law, why would a criminal?

BUT, while I do think it is all a waste of time- If it somehow turned out the guy was hung out to dry, I would certainly chuckle.

This is the reason this needs pushed to the absolute limit.

davidjinks
12-26-12, 11:41
I agree with you. Like I said, will it happen...maybe, maybe not.

Won't be the first person the left throws under the bus. He might be a sacrificial lamb... The left plays both sides of the fence.

Voodoochild
12-26-12, 12:15
Looks like it is mainstream(ish) now.

http://www.politico.com/story/2012/12/cops-nbc-told-dont-use-gun-clip-85497.html

tb-av
12-26-12, 12:50
https://www.m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=14642&stc=1&d=1356547753

ForTehNguyen
12-26-12, 14:05
that doesnt look like an airsoft mag. Airsoft mags look a bit different at the top, for obvious reasons. In the interview video you can see the feed lips of the AR mag

http://policehq.com/UserFiles/Images/Products/large/PAL-18511016.jpg

whiterabbit05
12-26-12, 14:15
lol, this is gold

Moose-Knuckle
12-26-12, 14:42
Look, if it would be a felony for me, it should be a felony for him too. Period. The issue is that the law is stupid, if he supports the law, then he supports it, and should take responsibility for breaking it. Period.

If he believes that some people should be exempt from the law, then we have changed the issue, to one of equal protection under the law.

Any way he slices it, he can not be for the law which bans that magazine and also for a special clause that lets "no one special" possess one in the face of it.

He will be pardoned by Obama if he is convicted, count on it.

100% spot on.

'Meet the Press' host probed for gun prop

http://news.yahoo.com/dc-cops-investigating-whether-nbcs-gregory-violated-gun-170426968--abc-news-politics.html

My God, he was waving around an illegal high capaicty feeding device in our nations's captial of all places . . . think of the children! This liberal progressive should be given the Ruby Ridge treatment, where is HRT when you need them?!?!?

SteyrAUG
12-26-12, 15:02

Right out of the park.

Just as LEOs should be subject to the laws they enforce, the MSM should be subject to the laws they promote.

tb-av
12-26-12, 15:37
... the MSM should be subject to the laws they promote.

Especially in this case where in addressing LaPierre he was basically grilling him as though he was guilty of something.

If the tables were turned he would already be fired much less arrested.

platoonDaddy
12-26-12, 17:12
If the tables were turned he would already be fired much less arrested.

If it was one of us common folk, for sure arrested.

http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad176/slickville/jail.jpg

Belmont31R
12-26-12, 17:13
Whats that vertical line at the top of the mag where on an AR mag would be the start of the feed lip bend? Looks like the very top part is not attached to the main body like a real AR mag would be?

HackerF15E
12-26-12, 19:37
Here comes the spin!

This one is saying that NBC got permission from ATF, although this obviously conflicts with the DC police statement.

http://www.tmz.com/2012/12/26/meet-the-press-david-gregory-dc-police-atf-gun-magazine/

Well-placed law enforcement sources tell TMZ ... a staffer from "Meet the Press" called ATF before the show aired to inquire about the legality of David holding the empty magazine during a segment on gun control. We're told the ATF person contacted the D.C. police to find out if the District of Columbia -- the place where the show is broadcast -- had a law prohibiting such a display.

Our sources say the D.C. police official informed ATF David could legally show the magazine, provided it was empty. An ATF official then called the staffer from "Meet the Press" to inform them they could use the magazine.

Nice that ATF didn't know the law and had to call local PD.

Also, what legal precedent is there that "its legal so long as its unloaded"??

armakraut
12-26-12, 23:35
Sounds like he called the wrong folks for advice. That's a damn shame. Skin him alive.

Sensei
12-27-12, 00:29
As much as I'd like to see that hairpiece after a few months in lock-up, I suspect that this is not going to result in any charges. Depending on how DC defines possession, simply holding a band object for a few seconds is not likely cut the mustard for any DA who does not want to get laughed out of court. This is especially true if it can be shown that somebody else purchased the magazine. For example, you are not going to be charged with possession of drugs if a security camera records you picking-up a bag of crack off the street, looking at it, then setting it down before leaving. It would be a different story if Gregory was shown to have purchased the magazine, brought it to the studio, or left the studio with it in his pocket.

Then, they would need to prove that the magazine is functional. If MSNBC removed the spring and rendered the magazine permanently inert then it is probably not going to be illegal. I suspect that this is a real possibility given that the top of the mag does look altered.

brushy bill
12-27-12, 00:35
As much as I'd like to see that hairpiece after a few months in lock-up, I suspect that this is not going to result in any charges. Depending on how DC defines possession, simply holding a band object for a few seconds is not likely cut the mustard for any DA who does not want to get laughed out of court. This is especially true if it can be shown that somebody else purchased the magazine. For example, you are not going to be charged with possession of drugs if a security camera records you picking-up a bag of crack off the street, looking at it, then setting it down before leaving. It would be a different story if Gregory was shown to have purchased the magazine, brought it to the studio, or left the studio with it in his pocket.

Then, they would need to prove that the magazine is functional. If MSNBC removed the spring and rendered the magazine permanently inert then it is probably not going to be illegal. I suspect that this is a real possibility given that the top of the mag does look altered.

So "possess" does not mean "possess"? Of course it is silly! The whole damn thing is silly. However, if that is the law they want, hopefully they can see what it results in. People who have something they intend no harm with are punished because they have it. It becomes an animate object capable of harm in and of itself and must be stopped! Ridiculous to say the least, but that is what these laws are. The grandmother hammering NY shooter did not come by the guns legally, but that is now ammunition to show that the rules aren't strict enough. Simply mind boggling. I say slam him.

SteyrAUG
12-27-12, 00:46

He didn't find the magazine on the ground, pick it up to inspect it and put it back down. He had physical possession of it, exactly the same as if I brought an unregistered machine gun into D.C. and waved it around on national TV.

And if I remember correctly, even "parts" such as the magazine body are banned in DC.

brushy bill
12-27-12, 00:49
He didn't find the magazine on the ground, pick it up to inspect it and put it back down. He had physical possession of it, exactly the same as if I brought an unregistered machine gun into D.C. and waved it around on national TV.

And if I remember correctly, even "parts" such as the magazine body are banned in DC.

Exactly!

platoonDaddy
12-27-12, 04:47
My new theory: Best thing NRA could do is come to the defense of Gregory. If DC does not pursue the charges NRA can claim victory and if they prosecute Gregory NRA can claim they even defend their foes right to bear arms paraphernalia. Win/win.

SPQR476
12-27-12, 07:23
Best they could do is actually just use it as demonstration if the need to enforce current laws. If he, a normally law-abiding person, (I assume, loosely), doesn't care enough about that law to obey it due to having no fear if it being enforced...what person with criminal intent is going to care in the least?

Hmac
12-27-12, 07:28
My new theory: Best thing NRA could do is come to the defense of Gregory. If DC does not pursue the charges NRA can claim victory and if they prosecute Gregory NRA can claim they even defend their foes right to bear arms paraphernalia. Win/win.

I like it. Conversely, the worst thing they could do is vigorously call for him to be prosecuted.

Safetyhit
12-27-12, 08:07
I like it. Conversely, the worst thing they could do is vigorously call for him to be prosecuted.

Not necessarily, as I don't know them to spend much time assisting overt law breakers. They may not like the law, but once in place it's not in their best interest to defend those that break it unless certain circumstances warrant a defense.

In other words if I am found with a 30 round mag here, the NRA would not waste any time on my defense and may even choose to distance themselves from me.

glocktogo
12-27-12, 08:34

This is incorrect. Any rookie worth their salt could make this case. You're on national TV in your studio, which is located in DC. You're holding an illegal magazine. You admit on tape that it's an illegal magazine. Ignorance of the law is no excuse (if only I had a nickle for every time I've heard that in my life). What's that? You say it wasn't real? Show it to me now. You don't have it? Where is it? Who did you transfer possession of the illegal magazine to? Your producer? So you are stating for the record that your producer also had possession of an illegal magazine? Where is your producer? Let's go talk to the producer...

And so on and so forth. You dig until there are no more answers forthcoming. You have credible evidence to support an arrest and you make the arrest as soon as you stop getting answers from people. While it is a technical legal matter, it isn't rocket science. The simple fact of the matter is that there IS a double standard. If you were driving along in DC and a traffic cop saw the exact same unloaded magazine in plain sight, you'd go to jail. You'd get prosecuted. You'd be found guilty and unless you copped a plea, you'd get the maximum sentence. We have created out of thin air, an entire class of elites in America. Congratulations, we now have a caste system.

This country has become a disgusting caricature of it's former self. I can't ****ing stand it. :mad:

Sensei
12-27-12, 11:31
This is incorrect. Any rookie worth their salt could make this case. You're on national TV in your studio, which is located in DC. You're holding an illegal magazine. You admit on tape that it's an illegal magazine. Ignorance of the law is no excuse (if only I had a nickle for every time I've heard that in my life). What's that? You say it wasn't real? Show it to me now. You don't have it? Where is it? Who did you transfer possession of the illegal magazine to? Your producer? So you are stating for the record that your producer also had possession of an illegal magazine? Where is your producer? Let's go talk to the producer...

And so on and so forth. You dig until there are no more answers forthcoming. You have credible evidence to support an arrest and you make the arrest as soon as you stop getting answers from people. While it is a technical legal matter, it isn't rocket science. The simple fact of the matter is that there IS a double standard. If you were driving along in DC and a traffic cop saw the exact same unloaded magazine in plain sight, you'd go to jail. You'd get prosecuted. You'd be found guilty and unless you copped a plea, you'd get the maximum sentence. We have created out of thin air, an entire class of elites in America. Congratulations, we now have a caste system.

This country has become a disgusting caricature of it's former self. I can't ****ing stand it. :mad:

You are an LE, right? When was the last time you saw someone successfully prosecuted for possession based only on video evidence that they were holding an illegal object for a few seconds AND the police did not have custody of the item as evidence. I ask because that would be the DA's case if they decided to prosecute.

You think that the Metro PD is going to start arresting MSNBC staff for possession of a high capacity magazine that was only seen on TV as a prop? Keep in mind that MPD does not even have custody of this magazine to verify its actual existence as a banned item. Any defense attorney worth a damn will shoot all kinds of holes in the evidence chain. Without the police having the magazine as evidence, it does not matter that Gregory said it was banned since it is expected that he would want the audience to believe it as such for dramatic effect.

I'm no fan of Gregory or MSNBC, but I can tell you there is ZERO case unless the police had taken custody of the magazine when Gregory walked off the set. In addition, I'n not a fan of wasting city resources on cases that can't be won.

glocktogo
12-27-12, 12:20
You are an LE, right? When was the last time you saw someone successfully prosecuted for possession based only on video evidence that they were holding an illegal object for a few seconds AND the police did not have custody of the item as evidence. I ask because that would be the DA's case if they decided to prosecute.

You think that the Metro PD is going to start arresting MSNBC staff for possession of a high capacity magazine that was only seen on TV as a prop? Keep in mind that MPD does not even have custody of this magazine to verify its actual existence as a banned item. Any defense attorney worth a damn will shoot all kinds of holes in the evidence chain. Without the police having the magazine as evidence, it does not matter that Gregory said it was banned since it is expected that he would want the audience to believe it as such for dramatic effect.

I'm no fan of Gregory or MSNBC, but I can tell you there is ZERO case unless the police had taken custody of the magazine when Gregory walked off the set. In addition, I'n not a fan of wasting city resources on cases that can't be won.

You do realize that your argument is semantical, right? MPD will never even investigate this. They'll come up with a lame excuse like the one offered on the TMZ report and it'll be done. MPD agrees with MSNBC and will do whatever is necessary to support their war on gun ownership. Lanier is a joke as far as cops go. She's just a liberal lapdog showpiece and that's all she'll ever be.

FWIW, yes I have seen convictions secured with video alone. Not every case ever bought to court requires direct physical evidence. Of course circumstantial evidence is trickier, but it's neither impossible or implausible from a prosecution standpoint. :)

Sensei
12-27-12, 12:47
You do realize that your argument is semantical, right?

I realize that my argument is based on the reality of the case at hand. That reality is the DA will never be able to prove that the magazine being waived on TV was banned. They will also not be able to prove that Gregory bought it, brought it, or left with it provided that he and the army of lawyers at NBC's disposal have half a brain.

Call it semantics if you want, but I prefer to call it reality and the desire not to waste resources on battles that cannot be won. I also have no desire to see the cops rounding up people based only on evidence from a picture or video that depicts them holding something that MIGHT be illegal. I said the same thing 3 years ago when Michael Phelps had his picture taken with a bong at USC and the local police chief got a bug up his ass.

Had there been a cop on the scene to arrest Gregory as he arrived to or left the set with the magazine (assuming that it actually is a 30 round mag), I'd go along with the idea of charging him.

Obiwan
12-27-12, 17:50
Just goes to show that only law abiding gun owners actually obey these stupid laws. Even the anti-gun crowd thinks they are silly.

hals1
12-27-12, 20:44

OK. But why didn't he get called for the violation immediately on live TV. The NRA has lot to answer for, IMO. That is why we are losing. OUR SIDE IS WAY TO POLITE.

Noodles
12-27-12, 21:42
THIS!

http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3scvno/

Reagans Rascals
12-28-12, 03:32
I also have no desire to see the cops rounding up people based only on evidence from a picture or video that depicts them holding something that MIGHT be illegal.

sooo.... whats the difference between that scenario... and citations issued using traffic cameras.... ?

Matthew
12-28-12, 05:33
sooo.... whats the difference between that scenario... and citations issued using traffic cameras.... ?

Realistically, the difference is that the traffic cameras are cash generators for the municipalities that have them. It's easy to mail someone a ticket, and make them prove they did nothing wrong. Most working people cannot take the time off work to go to court, fight the ticket, pay court costs and probably still lose because the judge is paid by the municipality.

HackerF15E
12-28-12, 07:12
OK. But why didn't he get called for the violation immediately on live TV.

Probably because LaPierre didn't think of it at the time.

How is that "a lot to answer for"?

Sensei
12-28-12, 09:49

Although I'm not a fan of traffic cameras, I'd say there are plenty of differences and we can discuss it in a new thread or via PM if you'd like.

mikelowrey
01-08-13, 00:10
Double post.

mikelowrey
01-08-13, 00:11
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jan/4/if-youre-not-david-gregory/

In case this hasn't been posted.

Moose-Knuckle
01-08-13, 01:41
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...david-gregory

Typical elitist, "do as I say not as I do".

Sensei
01-08-13, 07:33
In case this hasn't been posted.

Wow. There seems to be a lot wrong with this case. Or, perhaps the story is not reporting the entire facts of the case.

First, the article says that he was going to practice for his US Marshals service test and there is a picture of him wearing what appears to be US Marshals credentials. I am a little unclear if this means that he was an 1811 at the time of his arrest. If he was a Deputy Marshal, then he is authorized to carry his weapon since marksmanship training is part of his official duties. All he needed to do was show his credentials to the USSS officer who was also surely carrying a weapon as part of his duties. If he was not a Deputy Marshal, then he is probably not the sharpest knife in the drawer for bringing a weapon in downtown DC, and approaching the WH / USSS with it in his car. I'm not saying that he is a criminal, it is just not something that I'd recommend doing.

Mr. Brinkley stopped to ask a Secret Service officer whether his wife could take the baby’s car seat into the White House. The officer saw Mr. Brinkley had an empty holster, which kicked off a traffic stop...

The story also says that he was cited for speeding. How the hell did the USSS determine his speed. The only way to make sense out if this was that he approached or was stopped by members of the Uniformed Division of the USSS who generally used marked vehicles. Unlike agents who are 1811's, these guys may also have local LEO powers around DC. Still, unless he was speeding on WH property, this seems very strange indeed.

Finally, when did seeing a empty holster give probable cause to affect a search in a car? I call BS on that one right there. I have to wonder if this guy made the big mistake of consenting to the search or telling them about the gun in the trunk. This brings me to my last point:

GUYS, DO NOT ALLOW THE POLICE TO SEARCH YOUR VEHICLE OR PROPERTY. This is especially true if you are already walking a legal tight rope by transporting a weapon in a gun-hostile jurisdiction. I know that we all want to be helpful, but trust me when I tell you that any officer or agent asking to search your belongings is not likely to give you a pass on technical infractions. If they insist on searching your vehicle and threaten to arrest you, then let them arrest you. It is better to be arrested and have evidence thrown out in court than consent to a search and open the back door to your ass.

rushca01
01-09-13, 16:56
Police have concluded their investigation and have closed their case....no charges are to be filed. I bet dollars to doughnuts someone made a call to make this go away.

glocktogo
01-09-13, 17:20
Police have concluded their investigation and have closed their case....no charges are to be filed. I bet dollars to doughnuts someone made a call to make this go away.

Source?

rushca01
01-09-13, 17:43
Source?

Washington’s Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) has concluded its investigation into NBC anchor David Gregory without an arrest

Read more: http://p.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2013/jan/9/miller-dc-police-wont-arrest-david-gregory/#ixzz2HWbzWn3s
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

Moose-Knuckle
01-09-13, 18:03
This is my surprised face.

SteyrAUG
01-09-13, 18:23
Washington’s Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) has concluded its investigation into NBC anchor David Gregory without an arrest

Read more: http://p.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2013/jan/9/miller-dc-police-wont-arrest-david-gregory/#ixzz2HWbzWn3s
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

Some animals are more equal than others.

I was unware NBC contacted MPD for permission prior to the show and was denied.

rushca01
01-09-13, 18:28
I just pray the NRA will bring this up tomorrow along with fast and furious et al...

No.6
01-09-13, 18:29
So let me get this right, in D.C., I can commit a felony and as long as I have press credentials, or I'm a Senator, Representative, Mayor, POTUS or SCOTUS I have an automatic "get out of jail" card. Cool....

platoonDaddy
01-09-13, 19:58
So let me get this right, in D.C., I can commit a felony and as long as I have press credentials, or I'm a Senator, Representative, Mayor, POTUS or SCOTUS I have an automatic "get out of jail" card. Cool....

Yep, you are correct.

glocktogo
01-09-13, 20:35
Never mind.

SHIVAN
01-09-13, 20:37

Or play professional, or successful high level college sports.

platoonDaddy
02-27-13, 15:55
Hold on folks, it isn't over! 27 Feb 2013

Just minutes ago on AM 730 WTNT host Andy Parks interviewing a reporter from Washington Times who has filed numerous FOIA request and as of this date and time been stonewalled. She (excuse me can't recall her name) said (of course paraphrasing) she will not give up and pursue this wherever it leads. When on to state: there is no way MPD investigated.

WOW, very powerful interview and one pissed of lady.

Smuckatelli
02-27-13, 16:06
Hold on folks, it isn't over! 27 Feb 2013

Just minutes ago on AM 730 WTNT host Andy Parks interviewing a reporter from Washington Times who has filed numerous FOIA request and as of this date and time been stonewalled. She (excuse me can't recall her name) said (of course paraphrasing) she will not give up and pursue this wherever it leads. When on to state: there is no way MPD investigated.

WOW, very powerful interview and one pissed of lady.

That has to be our girl Emily! :D

https://www.facebook.com/EmilyMillerDC

austinN4
02-27-13, 16:46
That has to be our girl Emily! :D
https://www.facebook.com/EmilyMillerDC
Indeed! That page linked to also says:
"I will be in NYC studio with Lou Dobbs tonight 7:40pm ET on Fox Business for the political A panel. Tune in!"

platoonDaddy
02-27-13, 17:02
Indeed! That page linked to also says:
"I will be in NYC studio with Lou Dobbs tonight 7:40pm ET on Fox Business for the political A panel. Tune in!"

Yep, that is HER. When the interview was winding up, Andy commented about her on Lou Dobbs tonight.

She reminds me of my daughters, full of piss and vigor!

Thanks for the facebook link, I downloaded her picture:

http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad176/slickville/EmilyMiller_zpsfe617ffe.jpg