PDA

View Full Version : Glock 21 SF, Same mags as G21?

blasternank
12-23-12, 14:19
I'm looking into getting a G21 SF. My question is do they use the same mags as the standard G21? If not can you modify a G21 mag to fit it?

Thanks

ST911
12-23-12, 14:26
Mags are compatible within the model type (21, 21SF, etc). The older mags won't be compatible with the new reversible catches if you set them up for L handed use however.

blasternank
12-23-12, 14:34
So would I have to install a standard mag release for the old ones to work properly?

ST911
12-23-12, 14:48
So would I have to install a standard mag release for the old ones to work properly?

Sorry, I'll edit my post for clarity.

If you reverse your catch, the older mags won't work. You can use the older mags with the new catch if you don't reverse it.

Ken Grant
12-24-12, 14:08
I have a 21SF with the Ambi-mag release and old mags will not work in it.

ThirdWatcher
12-24-12, 21:22
IIRC new production mags work are compatable with all Glock 21's & 21SF's (right?).

ST911
12-24-12, 22:01
IIRC new production mags work are compatable with all Glock 21's & 21SF's (right?).

Yes, notched for everything.

machman72
12-24-12, 22:23
Sorry, I'll edit my post for clarity.

If you reverse your catch, the older mags won't work. You can use the older mags with the new catch if you don't reverse it.

Not true.

Ambi-mags will work in old 21, 21SF and of course ambi-release 21.

Non ambi-mags will only work in non-ambi-release 21. (statement edited)

Also, G21 and 21SF use the same mag, but the above statements still apply.

Voodoo_Man
12-24-12, 23:02
I used a g3 21 with ambi mag release on duty, then glock recalled them saying it had issues which mine did.

I kept the mags and used them in my g21 sf and gen4 g21 without issue.

TriviaMonster
12-24-12, 23:31
Not true.

Ambi-mags will work in old 21, 21SF and of course ambi-release 21.

Non ambi-mags will only work in ambi-release 21.

Also, G21 and 21SF use the same mag, but the above statements still apply.

No, skintop was correct. What you are saying is the older non ambi mags only work in Gen4 guns? That's wrong. Older 3rd gen mags DO work in 3rd gen guns.

Its funny how we never traded a little bit of freedom of religion after the Jonestown Massacre.

R0CKETMAN
12-25-12, 05:38
I'm looking into getting a G21 SF. My question is do they use the same mags as the standard G21? If not can you modify a G21 mag to fit it?

Thanks

All gens of 21 mags will work with a single sided mag catch 21sf

machman72
12-25-12, 08:12
No, skintop was correct. What you are saying is the older non ambi mags only work in Gen4 guns? That's wrong. Older 3rd gen mags DO work in 3rd gen guns.

Its funny how we never traded a little bit of freedom of religion after the Jonestown Massacre.

Opps, you are correct. I left "non" out of my third statement. I think its correct now.

Quiet
12-25-12, 12:43
The type of magazine release on the Glock determines magazine generation compatibility.

Glock magazine generations are clumped into four basic generations.
1st = NFML with left side cut
2nd = FML with left side cut
3rd = FML with left side cut + front cut
4th = FML with left side cut + front cut + right side cut

Glock used three different types of magazine releases.
1. Standard mag release
2. Ambi-mag release
3. Reversable mag release

1. The standard mag release uses the left side cut.
Therefore, Glocks with the standard mag release can use all generations of Glock magazines.

2. The ambi-mag release uses the front cut.
Therefore, Glocks with the ambi-mag release can only use the 3rd & 4th generation Glock magaazines.

3. The reverable mag release set up on the standard side uses the left side cut and the reversable mag release set up on the non-standard side uses the right side cut.
Therefore, Glocks with the revereable mag release set up on the standard side can use all generations of Glock magazines and Glocks with the reversable mag release set up on the non-standard side can only use the 4th generation Glock magazines

There are four variants of the Glock 21SF.
1. Glock 21SF with ambi-mag release + picatinny rail (discontinued)
2. Glock 21SF with ambi-mag release + glock rail (discontinued)
3. Glock 21SF with standard mag release + glock rail (current production)
4. Glock 21SF RTF2 with standard mag release + glock rail (limited production)

Therefore...
If your Glock 21SF has an ambi-mag release, then it can only use the 3rd & 4th generation Glock magazines.
If your Glock 21SF has the standard mag release, then it can use all generations of Glock magazines.

654Boomer
12-25-12, 13:11
The type of magazine release on the Glock determines magazine generation compatibility.

Glock magazine generations are clumped into four basic generations.
1st = NFML with left side cut
2nd = FML with left side cut
3rd = FML with left side cut + front cut
4th = FML with left side cut + front cut + right side cut

Glock used three different types of magazine releases.
1. Standard mag release
2. Ambi-mag release
3. Reversable mag release

1. The standard mag release uses the left side cut.
Therefore, Glocks with the standard mag release can use all generations of Glock magazines.

2. The ambi-mag release uses the front cut.
Therefore, Glocks with the ambi-mag release can only use the 3rd & 4th generation Glock magaazines.

3. The reverable mag release set up on the standard side uses the left side cut and the reversable mag release set up on the non-standard side uses the right side cut.
Therefore, Glocks with the revereable mag release set up on the standard side can use all generations of Glock magazines and Glocks with the reversable mag release set up on the non-standard side can only use the 4th generation Glock magazines

There are four variants of the Glock 21SF.
1. Glock 21SF with ambi-mag release + picatinny rail (discontinued)
2. Glock 21SF with ambi-mag release + glock rail (discontinued)
3. Glock 21SF with standard mag release + glock rail (current production)
4. Glock 21SF RTF2 with standard mag release + glock rail (limited production)

Therefore...
If your Glock 21SF has an ambi-mag release, then it can only use the 3rd & 4th generation Glock magazines.
If your Glock 21SF has the standard mag release, then it can use all generations of Glock magazines.

Greetings Quiet,

Merry Christmas!

Thank you for publishing this information. Excellent post and historical reference. Maybe your post could be a "sticky?"