PDA

View Full Version : LMT Defender Question

Kochman
12-23-12, 21:25
Hey guys.

I'm a noob so bear with me. :D

Bought my first AR today which is a LMT Defender. Choices were very limited since everyone is out trying to get an AR, but I remembered reading good things about LMT so when I saw it I jumped on it right away.

Now I have a question for you guys. My LMT did not come with a compensator on it, just the straight barrel, but when looking online I noticed my barrel is different than every picture I can find.

This is the exact model I have:
http://images.rockwellarms.com/ProductImages/LMT/STD16-AR15.jpg

Except that my barrel does not have the indents in it where it gets thinner in the middle and a little thinner towards the end. It is just a straight barrel that is the same size the entire way. There are no threads on the end. The barrel is marked .556 1/7 on it, but I am just wondering if this is an older version of the barrel?

Just trying to get to the bottom of why my barrel is different and why it did not come with a compensator. I asked in the store about the compensator and they said I could get one added if I want, but I'm just wondering if they put a different barrel on it, or if maybe this is a much older model?

Just found a picture, mine looks exactly like this:
http://www.anacortesgunshop.com/content/images/thumbs/0005817_300.jpeg

sapper36
12-23-12, 21:35
What state do you live in? It looks like a California compliant rifle, but I don't know if LMT ever made anything like that.

Kochman
12-23-12, 21:43
I'm in NY.

jbo723
12-23-12, 21:46
I'm in NY.

Then it's a ban compliant model..Doesn't NY require a Comp and an adjustable stock to be pinned?

Kochman
12-23-12, 21:55
Then it's a ban compliant model..Doesn't NY require a Comp and an adjustable stock to be pinned?

Ya my stock is pinned. So I guess this is a different barrel bc it is AWB Compliant?

Since the barrel is not threaded I guess there is no way for me to get a compensator put on then after all? Or can something be done?

JR TACTICAL
12-23-12, 22:00
Its a little expensive but you could send it to adco and have it threaded and pinned with whatever comp you want

Kochman
12-23-12, 22:02
Its a little expensive but you could send it to adco and have it threaded and pinned with whatever comp you want

Do you think the local FFL where I bought it can handle that job, or is it pretty complicated for an average Gun shop?

Would getting a different barrel be comparable price wise?

rdbse
12-23-12, 22:03
Ya my stock is pinned. So I guess this is a different barrel bc it is AWB Compliant?

Since the barrel is not threaded I guess there is no way for me to get a compensator put on then after all? Or can something be done?

You can contact a competent smith like ADCO to thread the barrel. Make sure your follow local and state laws.

http://www.adcofirearms.com/shopservices/

Bulletdog
12-23-12, 22:17
We're allowed to have comps and flash hiders in CA, and collapsible stocks are fine, but we cannot have a detachable magazine for it to be CA compliant. Hence our ridiculous "bullet buttons". It sucks but it's better than not having ARs at all.

BTW, I have two LMT Defender lowers. They are the best lowers I have. You will love them and they will most likely never give you any trouble. Excellent pieces of equipment.

jbo723
12-24-12, 12:57
You can contact a competent smith like ADCO to thread the barrel. Make sure your follow local and state laws.

If you're desd set on getting a comp/FH, sending it to ADCO would be a wise choice.

Kochman
12-24-12, 15:52
Ok I'll give ADCO a try. I considered buying a 14.5 barrel from LMT but every retailer I've checked so far is sold out.

Can ADCO trim my barrel to 14.5" before threading to add a comp? I'm not sure if its possible to shorten a barrel? Is doing that something that's frowned upon or is it a common thing?

Toyoland66
12-24-12, 16:41
Yes it is common

If you are required to have a perm-attached comp then you may as well shorten the barrel for 16" oal and perm-attach a quality comp.

SeriousStudent
12-24-12, 21:14
ADCO is a good choice for threading a barrel. I have had them do barrel work for me.

I would recommend, however, that you not cut the barrel down and pin a comp. You are locked into that configuration pretty much forever, unless you legally make it into an SBR. That will cost you $200, plus the time and effort.

And can you legally own an SBR in New York? (Hint: The answer is no)

Don't be in a real hurry to chop a barrel. Free advice, and worth what you paid for it. But it's a step you can't reverse.

Clem
12-24-12, 21:47
ADCO is a good choice for threading a barrel. I have had them do barrel work for me.

I would recommend, however, that you not cut the barrel down and pin a comp. You are locked into that configuration pretty much forever, unless you legally make it into an SBR. That will cost you $200, plus the time and effort.

And can you legally own an SBR in New York? (Hint: The answer is no)

Don't be in a real hurry to chop a barrel. Free advice, and worth what you paid for it. But it's a step you can't reverse.

Well, being in NJ, I believe NY laws are similar.
You cannot have threads on your barrel that can accept a flash hider.
So if he got a 16" threaded, he would have to pin a comp anyways.
Might as well cut it down to 14.5" since you have to pin a comp either way.

Kochman
12-24-12, 22:09
Well, being in NJ, I believe NY laws are similar.
You cannot have threads on your barrel that can accept a flash hider.
So if he got a 16" threaded, he would have to pin a comp anyways.
Might as well cut it down to 14.5" since you have to pin a comp either way.

This is pretty much what I am thinking. My main concern was if trimming a barrel was something that could be done, or if it would cause shooting problems etc.

I might still keep it 16" and just add a comp. My main issue with the gun is how far out the stock is, but I guess there is nothing that can be done. It's a bit uncomfortable when firing, I would prefer around 3" less extension on the stock.

Clem
12-24-12, 22:18
This is pretty much what I am thinking. My main concern was if trimming a barrel was something that could be done, or if it would cause shooting problems etc.

I might still keep it 16" and just add a comp. My main issue with the gun is how far out the stock is, but I guess there is nothing that can be done. It's a bit uncomfortable when firing, I would prefer around 3" less extension on the stock.

You could probably do the stock adjustment yourself.
You just need to find where they pinned it. Knock the pin out and repin it to your desired length.

Kochman
12-24-12, 22:36
You could probably do the stock adjustment yourself.
You just need to find where they pinned it. Knock the pin out and repin it to your desired length.

What is the legal OAL limit for an AR in NY? I assumed they pinned it where the legal limit is.

Can I make it as short as I want as long as it is pinned in place?

Clem
12-24-12, 22:56
What is the legal OAL limit for an AR in NY? I assumed they pinned it where the legal limit is.

Can I make it as short as I want as long as it is pinned in place?

I believe minimum OAL is the same in NY as anywhere else. 26"
Going fully collapsed should not be a problem.

Kochman
12-24-12, 23:52
I believe minimum OAL is the same in NY as anywhere else. 26"
Going fully collapsed should not be a problem.

If that is the case why do they pin it in the first place? I thought they pinned them to prevent them from being too short OAL?

I unscrewed the pin that is holding it and it seems like I am going to have to get a different buffer tube if I want to make it shorter. The tube I have is very long and wont prevent it going any shorter because the tube hits the end of the stock.

Clem
12-25-12, 06:18
If that is the case why do they pin it in the first place? I thought they pinned them to prevent them from being too short OAL?

I unscrewed the pin that is holding it and it seems like I am going to have to get a different buffer tube if I want to make it shorter. The tube I have is very long and wont prevent it going any shorter because the tube hits the end of the stock.

According to NY laws you cannot have a telescoping/folding stock. You should definitely get that repinned asap since its technically illegal right now.

As to why the pin it all the way out, I'm not really sure. Probably easier for them to standardize it that way.

Kochman
12-25-12, 06:28
According to NY laws you cannot have a telescoping/folding stock. You should definitely get that repinned asap since its technically illegal right now.

As to why the pin it all the way out, I'm not really sure. Probably easier for them to standardize it that way.

Ya it actually isn't a pin its just an Allen head screw. I put it back together.

Funny my rifle is 35" OAL. Guess putting it on its shortest setting will work out after all. :D

kml9705
12-25-12, 19:33
You can get a carbine RE and stock. Change out the extension and fit the stock where it is comfortable. Drill and epoxy the pin in place and you should be good to go. Just remember until it is pinned it will be an illegal set up. I ordered my RE and stock separate. By the time my stock arrived I already had the RE in place and the pins and epoxy were ready to go. The whole set up was pinned and completed within an hour of the stock arriving in the mail.

Kochman
12-25-12, 20:12
My AR came from the store with just an Allen head screw keeping the stock in place. I'm assuming this is legal?

Clem
12-25-12, 20:42
My AR came from the store with just an Allen head screw keeping the stock in place. I'm assuming this is legal?

There are different methods to achieve the same goal. If it came from factory that way and your ffl sold it to you that way you should be fine. People that pin and epoxy overkill in my opinion. Don't give LE a reason to look at you and you won't have a problem.

dnittler
12-26-12, 12:18

First off, congratulations on your new LMT. I have one of their uppers and I like it a lot – so much so that I am currently waiting on an LMT lower with SOPMOD to go with it (no more franken-gun).

If you are going to getting a muzzle attachment, I would also have the barrel shortened so you are at 16" including the barrel attachement. I will third the recommendation of ADCO for this work.

To your question, the legislators that wrote the law didn't understand the difference between an adjustable stock and a folding stock. They were scared of the infamous "shoulder thing that goes up." It is quite silly that any of the positions of the adjustable stock on an AR-15 can be pinned to, but being able to adjust it for different lengths of pull makes the rifle inherently more dangerous. Banal issues like this show the lack of benefit in passing new laws, just to "do something."

Kochman
12-26-12, 17:12
Thanks for the info.

I've been thinking about what I want to do with my barrel and I'm pretty sure I'm just going to leave it as is. I ordered a new buffer tube kit so hopefully when that arrives I'll be able to make it work.

I was originally planning on using my Xmas money to buy a BCM 14.5 Mid, but due to this trouble with the AR shortage I got the LMT. This is my first AR so I'm going to try to leave it as close to stock as possible and enjoy it for what it is. If a new ban doesn't neuter us all I'll look into getting that BCM Mid when production rises again.