PDA

View Full Version : Todays Checkering Costs?

toddackerman
02-24-08, 09:15
I am considering checkering the front strap of my 1911 to 25-30 LPI ( I've had both and need to decide).

What are the going prices for checkering these days? I haven't had it done in over 15 years.

Also, aren't there other options (Golf Balls etc.) that might be as functional, but are "Machined" versus "Hand Done" that might be less expensive? I'd really appreciate some links.

All thoughts are welcome from those who know.

Thanks!

Trim2L
02-24-08, 14:14
Pretty much all checkering is done by machine now. You didn't say what brand of 1911 you are thinking about having the checkering done to but the Springfield custom shop has produced some rather fine looking work as of late. If turn around time is also important they would be worth looking closely at. I don't know their prices but I'm sure if you call them they can tell you.

Jason Burton
02-26-08, 23:29
For a one-off piece of work such as just checkering the front strap you'll be best served and will probably get the biggest return via a shop that is set up to checker on a machine.

Both EGW and Springfield Armory are set up in this regard and either would do a nice job should you need the front strap made pointy. ;)

David Thomas
02-27-08, 08:10
Since you asked about other options:

http://www.m-guns.com/rifles.php

you can get Conamyds for $280. Maybe not less expensive, but much cooler.

Sam
02-27-08, 08:21
For a one-off piece of work such as just checkering the front strap you'll be best served and will probably get the biggest return via a shop that is set up to checker on a machine.

Jason is right.

Here is a link to a shop that I heard a few local shooters expressed their satisfaction over the checkering services, I do not have personal experience with them.

http://www.geminicustoms.com/1911%20Services.htm

rubberneck
02-27-08, 09:20
I had EGW checker one of my 1911's and it came out really nicely.

Chuck Rogers golfball's are really cool as is Ned's conamyds but both aren't taking any more work currently. Chuck does offer to do frontstrap treatments from time to time if you are willing to wait.

Another alternative would to be to contact Marc Morganti at Gemini customs or Scott Mulkern at SDM. Both are taking work, both offer alternative frontstrap treatments and both are outstanding machinists.