PDA

View Full Version : 10 round magazines

zanek05
12-24-12, 08:43
anyone think it would be a good idea to pick up a few 10 round mags now before theres a run on them if something goes through, just in case?

markm
12-24-12, 08:48
Why? I still have some 10 rounders from the last useless ban.

You want to be ahead of the compliance curve on a law the does not yet exsist? :suicide:

PLCedeno
12-24-12, 08:58
Though they will be priced the same as the Standard Cap (before the tragedy) they will never be hard to get. Dont waste your time.

zanek05
12-24-12, 09:03
I'm talking about for handguns purchased recently that I dont own any 10 rounders for, I'm not giving up my high caps, but if its a felony to possess high caps & they are not grandfathered, & you had to use your pistol for self defense, you had better be in compliance with the law, or it wouldnt matter if you were justified or not, you would be charged with a felony. A convicted felon cant own a firearm at all.

PLCedeno
12-24-12, 09:17
I hear what your saying, but wait until there is some concrete indication re the composition of the law. It is unlikely that if the millions of Standard capacity magazines are banned that 10 rounders won't be quickly replaced in the manufacturing process. This to our dismay. Bear in mind that banning the manufacture, sale and distribution of any product is much easier to accomplish than banning possession of something legally prurchased.

JBecker 72
12-24-12, 09:22
So you want to be in compliance with a law that we don't even know if it will get passed, and if it does, what it will contain? Good luck with that.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

francobx22
12-24-12, 09:24
I hear what your saying, but wait until there is some concrete indication re the composition of the law. It is unlikely that if the millions of Standard capacity magazines are banned that 10 rounders won't be quickly replaced in the manufacturing process. This to our dismay. Bear in mind that banning the manufacture, sale and distribution of any product is much easier to accomplish than banning possession of something legally prurchased.

I agree , I would just wait before making any havoc purchases. Wait for actual law to be implemented.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

dash1
12-24-12, 09:40
No, it would not be a good idea. You won't earn any extra credit.

During the 1994 AWB, magazines with more than 10 round capacity were stamped with a date and other information. The marked magazines were illegal to posses unless you were LE, military, or govt. As long as the magazine was not marked with that information you were good to go.

10 round magazines were not hard to find.

Biggy
12-24-12, 10:12
Though they will be priced the same as the Standard Cap (before the tragedy) they will never be hard to get. Dont waste your time.

Never is a long time. And after some idiot uses 10 rounders in his pistol or rifle to kill a bunch of people that could change. Lets hope not.

Bulletdog
12-24-12, 11:38
Having been on the short end of the stick MANY times when it comes to "needing" some gun related item. I am of the opinion of buy it while you can. I am now kicking myself for not buying more BCM BCGs when I had the chance... If it is sitting there on the shelf, you have the money, and it is something that you MIGHT conceivably need in the near future, why not buy it? Can we really have too much gun stuff? What will it hurt for someone to have a half a dozen more mags sitting in the safe unused if another ban doesn't happen. On the other hand, if a ban DOES happen, you've already got what you need, and won't have to worry about the newest rat race. Just buy another safe if you run out of room.

zanek05
12-24-12, 11:48
I know that it was legal after the crime bill to possess unmarked or non restricted high-caps, what i'm saying is if no high caps are grandfathered in and they are illegal to use or even possess. Its not 1994, and most of the anti gun crowd wants an updated crime bill without the grandfathering clause, so there could be a run on 10 round mags if hi-caps are banned. In reality there is no need to continue to buy up current high caps at inflated prices when they could be banned. High caps have been available & cheap for a long time most of us that were around during the crime bill have plenty of em.

zanek05
12-24-12, 11:52
thanks bulletdog, thats excactly my point, it took awhile back in 1994 for the companies to have many 10 round mags on the market, & for awhile most pistols were shipped with only 1 mag.

jonconsiglio
12-24-12, 11:58
I would buy standard capacity mags now if anything. You can never have too many and should there be some ban, which may or may not happen (remember, Republicans still have the House), you'll very likely still be compliant with pre-ban mags.

So, unless you're buying a new handgun, 10 round mags may be of no use to you.

Kain
12-24-12, 13:45
Only 10rd mags I own at the moment that aren't for .22s are some Wilson Combat 10rders for my TRP. I am hoping they are the only kind of 10rders that I am going to need. I would not buy neutered mags unless a ban actually goes into effect, because if it doesn't then you are going to have a hell of a time selling them.

DHart
12-24-12, 13:57
I did pick up a few 10-rounders for my G17 and G19... "just in case"... though I would probably prefer pistols built specifically for 10-rounders, should such a restriction become mandatory. My G26, G30, and M&P40C fit that need perfectly. I haven't checked my Browning Hi-Power 40's in a long time, but I believe they may have 10-round mags, as well. Will have to check. They sure do launch 40 cal quite comfortably. And I'm moving forward with M&P45 and M&P45C options as well. Of course, the 1911's are always an option, though I haven't been using those as carry guns in quite some time.

Guns, ammo, and mags will never be less expensive nor as readily available in the future as they are now. I've been saying that for a few years now and believe it to generally continue to be the case. SO, with that in mind, I subscribe to "buy what you want to have now, if you can."

ajacobs
12-24-12, 15:00
Seems like a lot of speculation, assuming a law is introduced and passed - what makes you think the number will be 10 and not 15 or 6?

zanek05
12-24-12, 15:09
Alot of numbers have been thrown around like 3 & 5 in the original brady bill. I hope we can still legally use what we own now, but it doesnt hurt to be somewhat prepared.

A62Rambler
12-24-12, 15:17
I don't think it is as big a deal this time since some guns already ship with 10 rounders for the states that require it now. So there isn't the delay of tooling up to make the stupid 10 rounders like last time. Having said that, What's all the worry over a non-existent law that has a slim chance of passing. Spend your worry effort telling your elected officials not to vote for new gun laws! Stop waving a white flag of surrender before there's even a battle at hand! :suicide: is not a battle plan and surrender is not in our creed!

Bulletdog
12-24-12, 15:43
I'm not speculating in any way whether or not any new laws will pass. I'm certainly not waiving any white flags. Too busy signing people up for GOA and NRA memberships to waive any white flags... I'm just asking what is the harm in having EXTRA gun gear around? I understand that most people in most states do not NEED 10 round mags right now. I'm not saying buy 10 round mags INSTEAD of standard ones, I'm saying buy them in addition to more standard mags. If I had 100 mags for each gun, I wouldn't consider it too many. (I don't... yet...)

I guess I just have a different philosophy than some people. Given our governments track record for the last few decades, and given the clowns running the government and their media puppets, I don't feel I can have too many of either capacity magazine. If someone else has some cut off point where they feel like they have enough, that's okay with me. Leaves more on the shelf for me to buy.

DHart
12-24-12, 16:07
Hope for the best... prepare for something worse... that's all one can do.

I'd prefer to be a little more prepared in advance of future possibilities than less so.

If there is a mag restriction, it's probably more likely to be 10, as that is law extant in some states at present, and seems to be a number that might stand a decent chance of being selected and agreed to by both sides - that is IF a restriction law is drafted (likely) and passed (perhaps not as likely).

This is, of course, all speculation at this point. No telling what will actually happen. And I'll stick with my G17RTF and G19 (with full cap mags) as long as it is legal to do so. Having additional options available at hand can only be positive, not negative.

oldtexan
12-25-12, 09:48
http://www.feinstein.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/press-releases?ID=28d0c499-28ec-42a7-902d-ebf318d46d02

The linked page has some info on the bill Sen. Feinstein has said she will introduce on the first day of the new session in January. It does not mention banning possession of anything, but does mention banning the manufacture, importation, sale, and transfer of magazines with a capacity over 10 rounds, and other items. I take this as the pro-gun control folks' starting bid, probably their view of the best they can hope for, and not what they realistically expect to get passed intact. If, and that's a big if, (especially in the House) the Senate bill, and its expected twin in the House, begin to make progress through the two respective legislative processes, don't be surprised if the bills are weakened with various amendments.

Eliakim
12-25-12, 21:54
anyone think it would be a good idea to pick up a few 10 round mags now before theres a run on them if something goes through, just in case?

It never hurts to be prepared.

Magazine bans are probably more likely on the state level in the more hysterical liberal states like Connecticut than it is on a federal level. Law-abiding Gun owners are now seen as malefactors in the eyes of many confused people after the Newtown school massacre.

We almost had a ban here in Connecticut on magazines larger than 10 rounds almost two years ago. The call for the Connecticut politicians to pass a restrictive gun law is now far louder and more irresistible than it was early in 2011. The statements I heard and read from some of the state Judiciary Committee Members back in 2011 were mind-numbingly draconian. The possession of any magazines of greater than 10-round capacity was to be classed as a felony

I'm betting we'll see some new gun-grabber legislation right away in Connecticut. The legislators still have the 2011 proposal ready to go.

It would certainly be wise to order your neutered mags now at normal prices before the rush. But remember what the most interesting man on the beer commercial says, "If you don't have a dark secret, it’s never too late to make one. Stay thirsty my friends".

davebee456
12-25-12, 22:07
Am I wrong or does the new feinstein bill seem to ban any weapon that can accept an old standard capacity magazine
i.e Every semi auto handgun by Glock and Smith M&P's ???
help me out on this one

mxvet747
12-25-12, 22:49
It says right there on FineSwine's web page that her bill will ban guns that can accept a detachable magazine. This is virtually all semi- auto firearms. IMO this is a complete semi auto ban. Gun owners need to wake up here and not be caught flat footed. The plan is to take everything. If it takes several bills & high profile shooting over the next few years than so be it. But remember the plan is complete Disarmament of all civilians.

zibby43
12-26-12, 00:11
I know that it was legal after the crime bill to possess unmarked or non restricted high-caps, what i'm saying is if no high caps are grandfathered in and they are illegal to use or even possess. Its not 1994, and most of the anti gun crowd wants an updated crime bill without the grandfathering clause, so there could be a run on 10 round mags if hi-caps are banned. In reality there is no need to continue to buy up current high caps at inflated prices when they could be banned. High caps have been available & cheap for a long time most of us that were around during the crime bill have plenty of em.

I don't want to say that it's entirely outside the realm of possibility but any legislation that would effectively serve as a retroactive ban on magazines with capacities of over 10 rounds is not likely to pass (I honestly think that something this drastic will not even be proposed).

I would buy standard capacity mags now if anything. You can never have too many and should there be some ban, which may or may not happen (remember, Republicans still have the House), you'll very likely still be compliant with pre-ban mags.

So, unless you're buying a new handgun, 10 round mags may be of no use to you.

+1

Omega Man
12-26-12, 12:48
Anyone with firsthand experience with the 10 rounders?

of188
12-26-12, 13:00
Mine 2 have been 100% reliable but that is a sample size of.....2. They appear to be M&P 9c mags with large extensions added for the full size guns so should be more reliable than most 10 round mags that are neutered full capacity mags. I might be wrong about that but that's what they look like. Anyway mine work great.

Bill

twd
12-26-12, 13:18
My two magazines have had no problems.

newyork
12-26-12, 13:34
At about 1050 rds with 5 10 rd mags. No issues yet.

oldtexan
12-26-12, 13:54
It says right there on FineSwine's web page that her bill will ban guns that can accept a detachable magazine. This is virtually all semi- auto firearms. IMO this is a complete semi auto ban. Gun owners need to wake up here and not be caught flat footed. The plan is to take everything. If it takes several bills & high profile shooting over the next few years than so be it. But remember the plan is complete Disarmament of all civilians.

We will have to see the bill before we know what she's actually proposing, but her site says that she proposes banning the "the sale, transfer, importation and manufacturing of more than 100 specifically-named firearms as well as certain semiautomatic rifles, handguns and shotguns that can accept a detachable magazine and semiautomatic rifles and handguns with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds". It says "certain semiautomatic rifles, handguns, and shotguns". It doesn't say all. It also doesn't mention banning possession.

With respect to your comment that "the plan is to take everything", there is no one single "plan". Different politicians and activists pushing for more gun control have differing views on what and how much should be done. Just like on our side, they are not a monolithic bloc in which everyone has the same views. The most vociferous advocates of restricting the Second Amendment, like Rep. Carolyn McCarthy of New York, are also the most politically isolated and least influential.

HackerF15E
12-26-12, 14:00
The most vociferous advocates of restricting the Second Amendment, like Rep. Carolyn McCarthy of New York, are also the most politically isolated and least influential.

Feinstein wants it all:

"If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them -- Mr. and Mrs. America, turn them all in -- I would have done it."

http://www.sfgate.com/opinion/openforum/article/2nd-Amendment-Mr-and-Mrs-America-turn-them-2813319.php

ROUTEMICHIGAN
12-26-12, 16:29
As a resident of the PRK, I've had to deal with 10 round mags for years (thankfully, I have a decent stock of "standard capacity" mags from my time in CO and AZ) where we've had to "modify" standard mags w/kits (or buy modified mags through vendors here). In other words, you can easily (and inexpensively) convert your standard mags to 10 rounds IF it comes to pass. FWIW, modified 10 round P-MAGS are sold at my LGS for $25-$26 a pop. In the meantime, I would not waste your time or money on something that "could" happen.

packers
12-27-12, 14:35
I'm talking about for handguns purchased recently that I dont own any 10 rounders for, I'm not giving up my high caps, but if its a felony to possess high caps & they are not grandfathered, & you had to use your pistol for self defense, you had better be in compliance with the law, or it wouldnt matter if you were justified or not, you would be charged with a felony. A convicted felon cant own a firearm at all.

Yeah its better than not b able to own any firearm at all.

mxvet747
12-27-12, 15:14
Oh don't worry you get to keep your "assault" weapons & magazines. Now they will all be NFA items!

no2sc2
12-27-12, 18:42
They wouldn't ban 10rds.

packers
12-27-12, 19:02
Yeah they wont ban 10rds. But it ll be sucks if its illegal to have magazine more than 10rds tho.

buzz_knox
12-27-12, 19:22
Yeah they wont ban 10rds. But it ll be sucks if its illegal to have magazine more than 10rds tho.

Why not? The followup to the original AWB would have reduced mag capacity to 7 rds. Bloomberg is now advocating a 5 rd limit (and maybe even 3 rd).

packers
12-27-12, 19:33
California ban limits up to 10 rds. But if they r actually thinking to change it to 7 or 3. That will sucks badly! There will probably b alot of angry ppl.

bondmid003
12-27-12, 22:12
I would only get them if you live or will be moving to a ban state. I have a ton of usp ten rounders from living in KA

DHart
12-27-12, 23:17
Now it seems the initial proposal will ban mags that hold 10... Or more! And firearms with detachable magazines.

Get your nine round mags now, folks! :no: Oh wait... If you can't have guns that take detachable mags anyway, sheesh. Give it up. **** these lib tards!

packers
12-27-12, 23:32
http://www.feinstein.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/assault-weapons

If that passes we r pretty much out.

Vlobb
12-28-12, 16:15
I just bought a few 10rd G19 mags but not to get out if front of what might happen... I wanted a few more mags to rotate into my training/practice lot but 15rd mags are completely out of the question right now. :suicide:

It may be a good idea to pick up a few 10rd mags for training/practice and keep your high caps strictly for duty/defense. If your really limited on how many you have at the moment....

Trvlngnrs
12-28-12, 20:33
It may be a good idea to pick up a few 10rd mags for training/practice and keep your high caps strictly for duty/defense.....

I think that's a good idea!

xjustintimex
12-28-12, 21:43
would we not be able to use our high cap magazines if we already have them?

Alaskapopo
12-28-12, 21:47

No that is not smart. The smart move would be to buy as many high caps as you can afford.
Pat

usmcvet
01-07-13, 09:47
First guys stop the freaking insanity, and wasting of your time. We are all afraid of what kind of BS might happen. We need to focus our attention on doing possitive things. Buy what ever you want.

Please Write your reps, I know I did and that I will continue doing so. Here is a link, use it.

http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-locally/grassroots/write-your-reps.aspx

No, it would not be a good idea. You won't earn any extra credit.

During the 1994 AWB, magazines with more than 10 round capacity were stamped with a date and other information. The marked magazines were illegal to posses unless you were LE, military, or govt. As long as the magazine was not marked with that information you were good to go.

10 round magazines were not hard to find.

That is how it was in '94. We have no idea what kinda BS they will try this time, that is why we need to work to prevent it. Fight back, please write and call your reps. Remain calm and professional.

I have been an NRA life member since my teens when I joined. I am goining the JPFO, I am not a Jew but they have some great information on their website and I agree with their goals, I am in! I've also sent NRA bucks to the NRA each time I've placed an order lately, they need the money to fight for US>

This website has awesome info:

http://jpfo.org/
http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/six-about-2nd.htm

http://jpfo.org/filegen-a-m/GCA_68.htm

http://jpfo.org/filegen-a-m/deathgc.htm