PDA

View Full Version : Beretta M9

scoutchris
12-24-12, 10:28
Hey all, I've used the search function and didn't come up with any consensus, so I will ask here. I want to purchase a Beretta M9, or the closest thing to it. I carried one in Iraq for 28 months, and would love to get the closest thing to it now so I can pass it down to my kids eventually. What is the model number I am looking for, and where is a recommended place to purchase it? I understand the basic differences, but I would love to have a M9 serial number or markings...

Thanks for the help, I hope y'all have a Merry Christmas!

P.S. - If anyone has one they want to sell, let me know!

Slater
12-24-12, 10:54
Beretta's civilian M9 is model no. J92M9AOM (comes with two 15 round mags). It has the military part number on the slide and the serial number starts with "M9-" (IIRC). These used to come in a cardboard box with a sleeve depicting the various military service emblems, but I don't know if that's still the case.

It's a pretty close match to the military issue M9.

maddawg5777
12-24-12, 14:42
If you want a light rail Beretta also make the M9a1. Its in service with the Marines if I remember right?

Taguin
12-24-12, 16:12
Or you can just get yourself a 92FS, almost the same as the M9...Save yourself some bucks. I myself can't tell the minor differences between the two. I'm certain someone will chime in here.

Slater
12-24-12, 16:35
Doesn't the M9 use different sights than the standard 92FS?

maddawg5777
12-24-12, 16:43
I know they used too, all the new ones that our unit got were three dot this time. The old ones had the rear half moon dot. Also 92fs is basically the same thing as long as you get one with the straight dust cover.

ThirdWatcher
12-24-12, 21:17
M9's don't usually cost any more than 92FS's. Go with the M9, IIRC the only difference between the civilian model and that issued to the military is the serial number. I like them so much that I've got two M9's and an M9A1 (which comes with a 92FS slide).

Fly'nBuff
12-24-12, 21:22
The only differences, IIRC, are the markings, sights (3 dot vs. bar dot), a straight dustcover and a slightly different radius to the backstrap. I can't comment on whether or not there is any marked difference in internals. If you're looking for something as close to .mil issue, go with the M9.

scoutchris
12-24-12, 22:46
I know the difference is minute, but I want something to pass down, ya know? Something that my kids can say their dad carried in war. The odd part is that the one I had was a three dot model. I don't know how old it was, but I do remember beating the **** out of it and it never once letting me down.

ShipWreck
12-29-12, 09:42
Hell, do what I did... buy em all - multiple times :D:D:D

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/noname.jpg

twistedcomrade
12-30-12, 22:37

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/noname.jpg

Very, Very nice! I only have one. :(

HackerF15E
12-31-12, 10:09
The only differences, IIRC, are the markings, sights (3 dot vs. bar dot), a straight dustcover and a slightly different radius to the backstrap. I can't comment on whether or not there is any marked difference in internals. If you're looking for something as close to .mil issue, go with the M9.

The slanted dust cover and radiused back strap are simply evolutionary changes that were made to the 92FS (to make manufacturing between the 92 and 96 streamlined) that were not applied to the M9 production. They started the exact same in the 80s and 90s.

Older 92FS models will be exactly the same as an M9 save for how the white paint is on the sights.

ShipWreck
12-31-12, 22:29
Believe it or not - last year and early this year... There were some 92s made on M( frames. I bought one.

And, there were some commercial M9s made with 92FS frames (they had the curved backstrap and grip radius - but were marked like a normal M9). Beretta does the mix and match things ometimes. Item # was exactly the same - so it was just the luck of actually finding one.

I did pick up the straight dustcover 92. I don't care for M9 sights, so I passed. And, face it - I have enough 92 variants for now :)

evosil98
12-31-12, 23:28
ShipWreck nice collection..

elnino31
01-01-13, 14:05

This is true love.

Can't say I feel that way about any one pistol in particular.

Nice collection

ccosby
01-01-13, 14:16
Or you can just get yourself a 92FS, almost the same as the M9...Save yourself some bucks. I myself can't tell the minor differences between the two. I'm certain someone will chime in here.

The 92 also has some lawyer warning on the slide. I want to say it is a warning saying it can fire with the mag removed. The m9 does not have it like this and instead has a piece of paper in the box with the warning. When I bought mine 3 or 4 years ago I went with the m9 for pretty much that reason(and I do seem to like the bar dot).

HackerF15E
01-01-13, 14:23
The 92 also has some lawyer warning on the slide. I want to say it is a warning saying it can fire with the mag removed. The m9 does not have it like this and instead has a piece of paper in the box with the warning. When I bought mine 3 or 4 years ago I went with the m9 for pretty much that reason(and I do seem to like the bar dot).

I have an early 90s 92FS with no such warning on the slide.

Only this on the right side of the dust cover:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v450/Hacker15E/F96B8D79-7656-4B9A-8F7D-AB81C7807370-1910-0000009B5CEA41B7.jpg

dentron
01-01-13, 14:35
http://www.beretta92.com/specs_92fs.aspx

There is a detailed comparison chart of all the beretta 92 variants including the military issued ones.

ccosby
01-01-13, 14:36
I have an early 90s 92FS with no such warning on the slide.

Look at a more current one. I don't know when it was added but new 92's had it when I bought mine a few years ago.

Pilotdude3407
01-01-13, 17:56
I just bought an M9 a couple months ago and like you, wanted the M9 and no a 92. I don't when it ends but I had a $50 mail in rebate from beretta. I would check into that before it ends.

ShipWreck
01-04-13, 12:51
I just bought an M9 a couple months ago and like you, wanted the M9 and no a 92. I don't when it ends but I had a $50 mail in rebate from beretta. I would check into that before it ends.

Ended 12-31-12

ShipWreck
01-04-13, 12:51
ShipWreck nice collection..

sinlessorrow
01-04-13, 18:50
Did the M9 ever get the Gen 3 locking block and hammer pin enlargement designed to keep a broken slide from shooting off? Thus decapitating the shooter.....I kid thats just a rumor.