PDA

View Full Version : Stuck Case in Resizing Die

Scoby
12-24-12, 14:35
Stuck case in resizing die. I did a search and all I saw was wrong lube or stuck case in a chamber threads.

This is the first time in 35 years this has ever happened to me.
Hornady/Pacific FL resizing die in .308. Pulled the casing head right off.
Tried freezing it and using vise grips and force to get it out. Won't budge.

Can I get some help here? What to do?

mrwickwire
12-24-12, 14:42
sorry to hear that. You might have to send it back to the die mfg and have them take it out. Happened to me a while back, I had to do the same.

GunnutAF
12-24-12, 16:01
Yep if you can't beat it out yourself send it back! Had to do the same thing when I tried to reload steel case .223! Lee charged a couple bucks and got it back to me quickly!:)

E4for2
12-24-12, 16:51
I have 2--it's kind of strange to hear these posts on a trival reloading
cure--it consists of a drill and tap and a washer and bolt--works very
easy !!:dirol:

Magelk
12-24-12, 16:53

Works easy and is well worth the money. I think it takes about 5 minutes to get a stuck case out.

veeref
12-24-12, 16:53
If you indeed ripped the entire base off the case, then I'd send it in. Hornady charges something like $5 to remove a stuck case.

If there's enough case head that you can run a tap, you can try the RCBS stuck case remover. I've used it before and it works.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

AKDoug
12-24-12, 17:03
Those only work if the case base is still there. In the OP I can't tell if the base completely ripped off or just the rim. If it's just the rim a stuck case removal setup will work.

If the entire base is ripped off. Is the expander stuck in the case neck. If so, unscrew the adjuster and carefully hammer on the expander threads. That might loosen it up. Once the expender is out of the way you can work at the case and get creative.

Scoby
12-24-12, 17:11

Care to expound on this instead of only giving half the cure wiseguy?

FYI. The base is intact. The rim is not. The expander is also still in the case.

jstone
12-24-12, 19:57
Google stuck case remover. It is a little hard for me to type out on my phone the how it works. As long as there is a primer pocket you can pull it. I can't believe all the answers to send it to hornady. That is retarded. Stuck case remover is a basic part of reloading. You should be able to pick one up for 20$.

Go to the rcbs site they have a video that shows the kit, and how to use it. The kit allow you to use the ram to remove the case.

If you use imperial sizing wax you Will never stick a case. It even works if you want to reload steel cases. A lot of people say you can't but it works great. The only hard part is if the steel is berdan primed. Its hard to find berdan primers. You Will generally only get three loads before the necks split. If you shoot a lot of steel it is a great way to get even cheaper training ammo.

HackerF15E
12-24-12, 20:06
Yep if you can't beat it out yourself send it back! Had to do the same thing when I tried to reload steel case .223! Lee charged a couple bucks and got it back to me quickly!:)

I use a bit of extra lube when reloading Tula and Wolf, and have never had steel stuck in my RCBS SB dies.

GunnutAF
12-26-12, 23:55
HackerF15E
Thats what I thought too! Ripped the rim completely off , Used Lees method of using the decaper to drive it out. Bent the hell out of it,broke the pin. After that I had enough sent it in! That case never even budged soak in oil, heated die , froze die nothing! :rolleyes: I actually loaded about 15 round before that happen. But no more steel cases for me!:mad:

Toyoland66
12-27-12, 01:51
Care to expound on this instead of only giving half the cure wiseguy?

FYI. The base is intact. The rim is not. The expander is also still in the case.

I can't embed a link from here, but google image search stuck case remover and you will see what it looks like. You drill a hole through the primer pocket and tap it, then run a bolt through a spacer that fits over the base of the die and into the threads you just tapped. As you tighten the bolt the case is pulled out of the die.

jstone
12-27-12, 04:05
GunnutAf and everybody else in this thread that has stuck a case or even if you have not. Go pick up a stuck case remover. They are cheap, and if you can turn a wrench you can remove a case. Then you will never have to send a die in.

If you use a spray lube it is a good thing to have handy. If you use a good spray lube like dillon a stuck case is very rare, but eventually you will get a case that has insufficient lube leading to s stuck case. If you use something like one shot for rifle you will stick a case.

Get the stuck case remover kit from rcbs it is one of the nicest available. You will be back up and running in under ten minutes.

I can't believe there are reloaders who have never heard of it. Especially the OP he has been reloading twice as long as i have.

Scoby
12-27-12, 06:22
I can't embed a link from here, but google image search stuck case remover and you will see what it looks like. You drill a hole through the primer pocket and tap it, then run a bolt through a spacer that fits over the base of the die and into the threads you just tapped. As you tighten the bolt the case is pulled out of the die.

Thank you sir.

Finally someone who has enough grammer skills to post a short explanation that can be understood.

I see how this may work now.

Scoby
12-27-12, 06:23
I can't believe there are reloaders who have never heard of it. Especially the OP he has been reloading twice as long as i have.

Let's just say I've been doing it right for 35 years and tens of thousands of rounds and only now screwed up. :D

Just never had a need before.

GunnutAF
12-27-12, 10:54
Scoby
Never had a problem getting brass cases out -had a couple stuck before.:rolleyes:

CameraMan
12-27-12, 11:45
RCBS removed a 223 case for free, just had to pay shipping both ways. The beat to hell expander rod was stuck in it as well. I assembled my own stuck case extractor together using a 13/64 drill bit, 1/4-28nf tap from taylor do center, a 13 mm socket, some washers, and a 1 1/2 1/4 hex bolt. The tap was $5. the rest i had laying around.

Magelk
12-27-12, 13:06
Thank you sir.

Finally someone who has enough grammer skills to post a short explanation that can be understood.

I see how this may work now.

I wasn't thinking when I posted but it is so simple that a quick glance at the directions and you'll have it. Toyoland66's post shows that. I guess it's one of those things where a guy thinks you know what I'm thinking.:D

SPQR476
12-27-12, 13:46
yes, if you have some washers, a bolt, and some taps, you probably have everything you need already. I've only stuck one in about 25 years, but I had all the fixins laying around to pull it by drilling the head, threading, and using a bolt and washers to pull it.

FWIW, if you're not using a lanolin based lube like imperial sizing wax or lanolin spray lube, it's good insurance against this in the future.

CameraMan
12-27-12, 14:17
I was surprised the strength of 223 webbing at the base of the case. Lake city brass and Dillon Case Lube go well together. My ghetto setup, the two nuts are free floating and used only as spacers.

Bimmer
12-27-12, 18:06

This is news to me, and I've been reloading for 15 years. Knock wood, I've never stuck a case.

I have "stuck case removers" for each of my rifles, just in case I tear the rim off a case. I wonder if one could be used to extract a case from a sizing die?

FWIW, Dillon claims that the expander of their sizing die can be used as a stuck case remover...

Scoby
12-27-12, 19:09
I was surprised the strength of 223 webbing at the base of the case. Lake city brass and Dillon Case Lube go well together. My ghetto setup, the two nuts are free floating and used only as spacers.

Good pic. This could have saved me some head scratching.

I've gotten it out. Used about the same assembly as shown in Cameraman's pic, minus the socket. I used large nuts. Had everything I needed too. It was actually very easy.

Thanks for all the help. Learning has occured.

BTW I always use RCBS lube and like I said, I never had a problem before.

StrikerFired
12-27-12, 21:26

Yep, that's exactly what a buddy and I made in his garage after my first attempt at reloading 223. Let's just say I've never made the mistake of running that brass without case lube. I use the RCBS lube and pad, I know is old and slow and etc.....but I haven't stuck a case since...

jstone
12-28-12, 00:19
Scoby i have been loading 15 years have not stuck one yet. I just thought it was a common knowledge type of thing. If you are taking the time to use the rcbs case lube you might want to use imperial. They make lube for the case, and dry lube for the neck.

I just got a 550, but i will continue to size on the single stage then tumble to remove lube before final loading on the 550. Imperial is slick stuff usually i will lube a case then run 4-5 dry then lube 1. You can use the wax lube on the case mouth as well it won't hurt anything. I just prefer the dry lube on case mouth, and neck.

I tried to type out an explanation of how a stuck case remover works, but sometimes i can not articulate simple things.

Dillons decapping stem is beefy that is why you can use it to remove stuck cases. Most other decap stems will look like you tried to decap a berdan primer if you try to remove a case with one.

Airhasz
12-28-12, 00:49
Get the stuck case remover kit from rcbs it is one of the nicest available. You will be back up and running in under ten minutes.

Most head right to YouTube / learn about case remover and watch one in action soon after beginning..:haha: