PDA

View Full Version : NFA SBR in Roanoke?

Ghostbear
12-24-12, 18:42
Any one live near Roanoke, VA? I would like some help purchasing an SBR. Some folks who would not mind walking the process with me. I am trying to purchase an LWRCI M6 11.5 inch SBR. I could use the help.

Kind Regards,
Marc

PS; Merry Christmas

Wake27
12-25-12, 02:04
Have you read through all of the threads here about how to purchase one?

Ghostbear
12-25-12, 12:27
Some of them. I was hoping to get some FTF about the process. I'm a quick study during a FTF session.

Cheers,
MARC

tb-av
12-25-12, 12:46
What exactly do you want to know?

If it's a about a Trust, people can only tell you basically what the trust allows you to do. Advising you precisely for your situation is a legal matter and requires a lawyer.

If you are buying from a dealer you pay for the gear, send in the proper forms, wait 6 months, then go pick it up once the tax stamp comes in.

From individual, pretty much the same. They can't give it to you until you have the tax stamp. I think I would have a third party hold the money in escrow.

Trust -or- Finger Prints, Photo and Law Enforcement Signature. go with the paper work. Unless you want to do some sort of business set up which I assume is not your concern.

If you can't understand that from the many treads here and YouTube videos and Web pages that walk you through the process, then you must have some specific concern. Is it because Roanoke leans heavily Liberal and you have perhaps heard some misinformation?

Getting it done is not much more work than getting a drivers license. There are only a few boxes on a short form and they require very specific information that you really can't get wrong.

EX: Barrel length. -- You would be surprised how many people can't answer that question correctly even though they are sitting there looking at their barrel of on a web page of a 10.5" barrel that they just spent six months researching so they would get "just the right length" for them.

The correct answer would of course be 10.5". If you can grasp that concept you should be ok. Even if not... the ATF will return your papers and tell you to pick a single length and send the papers back.

Ghostbear
12-25-12, 13:48
I guess my big concern is the CLEO sign off. Virginia went Blue state on me this election. I'm looking for the easiest way to go about this SBR thing. I'd like to pay for a complete rifle from a dealer assuming they can get the one I want. This would be the most direct and easiest route. I've never filled out the forms and I have this thought they are all geewizzy complicated. I do have a CCW and the process can't be more complicated??

I'd also like a chance to shoot a couple different SBR's to make sure I'm settled in the right way. Hence someone near the Roanoke valley.

Cheers and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Marc

Wake27
12-25-12, 19:32
You know that if you have a trust, you don't need the CLEO signature right? And it makes it way easier if you ever want another SBR or suppressor.

tb-av
12-25-12, 19:57
http://www.atf.gov/publications/firearms/nfa-handbook/

http://www.guntrustlawyer.com/form4.html

Be sure to click links in that second one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMkN5KtTnkY --- watch several videos like this one. Keep in mind he is a lawyer selling his services. We here can not tell you how to set up a Trust in specifics. You can however learn about Trusts and how they work. The lawyers had to learn it... you can learn it. You need to understand the NFA rules first.

Also just a note for you... in many legal situations one can have a "life benefit" "life estate" etc... For instance you could buy your next door neighbors home for say half price because maybe he can't keep it up but you can. In the process he says ok but he get's to live the rest of his live there. Maybe he's 80 years old now. So you own it but he get's to live in it just as though it was still his own ( for the most part ). When he dies you get possession.

The trust "life beneficiary" is similar but these trust are "revocable" some aren't,,, some are permanent.... but most people set up "revocable trust" so your "life beneficiary" means they get enjoyment of the items in the trust during life just as your next door neighbor gets to enjoy the home after you buy it. Back to the revocable trust.... You as -Trustee- can revoke, alter, change, add, subtract any time it is deemed necessary by the everyday You ( Grantor / Settlor / person that makes trust -everyday you-)

Now what we can't tell you is what exactly you should do regarding your personal life, like how it would impact your family or whomever you get involved. You can study the ATF and Trust threads and say ok I'll get a lawyer, in which case get one that really knows NFA... or do it yourself in which case no one can really say to you...ok yes, that's all good and legal. Only a lawyer can say that.

Many, many, many people make their own Trusts for NFA.... but they learn the NFA regs first, then learn functional aspect of the Trust Document --- which is really not that complicated but there are some specific things you need to learn. Probably if you learn the function of the Grantor / Trustee / Beneficiary ( not legally same as "life beneficiary" but can be same person ) Beneficiary gets it when you die. Which brings you to your final decisions. Can your beneficiary legally own NFA weapons ( a 10 year old son can't for instance ) --- It's this future planning and thinking that often requires a lawyer.

Once you read all this mess you will figure which scenario suits your intended goal. Some solutions can get real complicated. Some are no-brainers. The use of the NFA items is the easy part. Your death and/or finalizing the trust can get touchy depending on your personal situation. It will make a lot more sense once you watch a few videos and read a few web pages.

If you do a trust You ( as in you right now ) will place personally acquired belongings into a Trust. Then you will take an appointed job as Trustee( You appoint yourself). As Trustee you will run the Trust for the everyday You. The Trust will control the NFA items.

I am not a lawyer. I am not giving legal advice. Some of the above may be incomplete and/or inaccurate. Some may not apply to you. These are just generalized concepts of a process you probably should familiarize yourself with.

the_1iviper
12-25-12, 20:20
i'm not to close to Roanoke , but if you ever head up to nova i would be glad to meet you out at the nra range and let you test drive some sbr's. i have a 7" , 10.5" , and 11.5" ar's and a 10" sig sbr. i could help walk you through the paperwork process also but if your buying a factory sbr your dealer should take care of all the paperwork for you.

it is an easier process than your ccw paperwork, it just takes longer :D

tb-av
12-25-12, 21:09
Another link --- some old but helps you get the concept down.

Also if you see Form 1 or Form 4

Form 1 = you make the rifle ( which many do )
Form 4 = you buy from dealer

http://wethearmed.com/class-iii/atf-form-4-%28trust%29-template/?PHPSESSID=jsr4nqfasbire3ca43e5hupto2

Chooie
12-25-12, 23:35
Have you picked out a class 3 FFL yet?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Ghostbear
12-26-12, 04:27
No, Don't have a dealer yet. It seems LWRCI does not have a dealer close to Roanoke, VA. Hmmm, I sense an opportunity here maybe...:)

tb-av
12-26-12, 19:37
No, Don't have a dealer yet. It seems LWRCI does not have a dealer close to Roanoke, VA. Hmmm, I sense an opportunity here maybe...:)

Not sure what that means. Opportunity for what?

Just an FYI - http://virginiaarms.com/ very well represented on this site. You could probably save yourself a lot grief and just plan a day trip to NoVA.

cheshier2
12-27-12, 11:18
www.nfaguntrustkit.com

This will be up and running in about 30-45 days. This Trust has been approved and continues to be approved.. Its a 1 time fee of for $239...

FFEMT510
12-27-12, 11:27
I'm over in Forest (just outside of Lynchburg). I'm four months into a SBR purchase, so let me know if you need a hand.