PDA

View Full Version : New Upper and Suppressor!!!

GIFFMANN
02-24-08, 11:35
Just picked up the M4-1000 to complete the new upper!!! This is my first foray into supprssors and I can't wait to hit the range later this week.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v424/giffmann/DSCN0120-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v424/giffmann/DSCN0118.jpg

The build is a Noveske 10.5" barrel in 5.56 mated to an M4 marked CMT Upper I had laying around. BCG is Colt. DD 9.0 Rail gives me plenty or real estate, but I'm going to have to throw a different gas block on at some point. Right now I have a DD Lo Pro, but I had to shim the front clamp to fit the barrel. Not ideal, but it will work until I can replace it with an VLTOR clamp on. Flash hider is an AAC A2 style, which now mounts my new M4-1000. Sights are Troy and the optic is an Aimpoint T-1 with a LaRue riser. The T-1 replaces an ML3 that I just took off. I'll play with it awhile and see how I like it.

The lower is now sporting an EMOD stock, which I love. Going to have to pick up a few more of them in the coming months.

Since I picked up the suppressor last night at like 11:30, I have not yet had a chance to shoot it. However, once I hit the range later this week, I'll post some feedback on it.

Giff

rob_s
02-24-08, 11:43
IMHO the AAC M4-1k is the best can out there for the 10.5" semi-only guns. Look forward to hearing your report on it.

Totally unrelated, but I also really like your setup with the micro and the "po boy" magnifier. That's a great idea and a great way to not break the bank on a magnifier you rarely use. Is that the "po boy special" with the magnifier in the pivot mount?

I actually find your complete setup to be about perfect!

Jay Cunningham
02-24-08, 11:46
Wow, I really really like the way that carbine is setup!

I would probably leave the magnifier off myself, but otherwise - just damn!

Nicely done!

ddemis
02-24-08, 13:09
Great set up and you will love shooting with the suppressor it really saves on the noise and makes shooting a pleasure.Only drawback, clean-up will be messy.

GIFFMANN
02-24-08, 14:12
IMHO the AAC M4-1k is the best can out there for the 10.5" semi-only guns. Look forward to hearing your report on it.

Totally unrelated, but I also really like your setup with the micro and the "po boy" magnifier. That's a great idea and a great way to not break the bank on a magnifier you rarely use. Is that the "po boy special" with the magnifier in the pivot mount?

I actually find your complete setup to be about perfect!

Thanks!

That is the Po Boy. Wanted to play with a magnifier before commiting to an Aimpoint or something. I can run it on this weapon, or, if I move the EO Tech far enough forward, on my other upper as well.

As for clean up....only be worse until my LWRC comes in!

RD62
02-24-08, 14:18
I've seen people snap pics with all kinds of funny looking feet and toes in em before, but yours take the cake! :D

J/K

I really like your rifle! I can't wait to get everything worked out for my 10.5 and then it'll be time to start suppressor shopping!

-RD62

ARin
02-25-08, 18:14
giffman, isnt the dot a bit off-center when viewed through the mag?

USMC03
02-25-08, 18:29
Beautiful Blaster, Giff!!!

What kind of throw levers are on those tri-pod legs, ADM? :D

S/F,
Jeff

JLM
02-25-08, 19:14
You had mentioned to me that you were going to get that can. Cool :cool: Let me know how it is dude.

GIFFMANN
02-26-08, 08:05
giffman, isnt the dot a bit off-center when viewed through the mag?

I haven't shot the Micro or the Magnifier yet. Just playing around in the house, I have not noticed it, but I'll pay closer attention and provide feedback. I'm also interested in POI/POA differences as some have reported over on LF.

markm
02-26-08, 08:20
I'm interested in your sound suppression assessment.

We had a couple of cans together last Monday. M4-1000 on a 14.5, and the YHM Phantom on an 11.5.

They both sounded the same to me 5 yards back an to the right. But when shooting the 11.5, my right ear definitely hurt after one shot.

GIFFMANN
02-26-08, 10:14
I'll be running the M41k on both the 10.5 and a 16, so I'll be able to compare both.

Also, never one to leave well enough alone, this upper will be getting a MK18 RIS later this week and the Lite 9.0 will be going up for sale. :cool:

markm
02-26-08, 10:21
I'll be running the M41k on both the 10.5 and a 16, so I'll be able to compare both.

Cool. I run mine on a 14.5 and a 20 inch HBAR (the 20 isn't practical, but very fun)

The 14.5 seems slightly louder at the ejection port.

jayjaytuner
02-27-08, 08:51
damn that is a nice rig ya got there!!

JLM
02-27-08, 19:09
Giff, why are you going to the MK18 rail?

GIFFMANN
02-27-08, 20:24
Giff, why are you going to the MK18 rail?

Because the price went down....and because I can! :D

Impact
02-27-08, 21:07

where do you get one for a good price ?..I know DD lowered their prices on the lite to match the M4 line.

GIFFMANN
02-27-08, 22:15
Drop me a PM

JLM
02-28-08, 02:46

Well, that seems like two good reasons I reckon!

Have you tried the Blackout FH?

GIFFMANN
02-28-08, 07:52
Well, that seems like two good reasons I reckon!

Have you tried the Blackout FH?

Nope. I picked up an AAC A2 for this build cause I think it looks better and the M4 1000 came with the AAC Phantom.

GIFFMANN
02-29-08, 07:40
Okay, received the MK18 rail last night and installed it. The MK18 is a very nice rail and I should have gotten some photos, but didn't. I'll try to get some tonight.

First, the rails is quite substantial. As I understand it, the RIS rails are machined from a single piece, unlike the Lite rails, which have the attach system welded on. Also, the MK18 is a bit heavier than the Lite. Didn't notice it until I picked the weapon up afterwards. Not excessively heavy, but noticeable. The MK18 is engineered fantastically, though. The lower rail fits on nicely and with nice tolerances. Then you attach it with 4 screws. Also, the rail comes with 2 extra mount screws already screwed into onboard carry points. Definitely a nice touch. Also, the MK18 has anti-rotation tabs that are not on the Lite rail. Truthfully, not a big deal to me, but understandable for a MIL customer.

As for the color, it is fantastic. Photos really don't do it justice. Similar to Matt Johnson Khaki, it seems to take on the undertones of surrounding colors. In certain light it seems more of an olive and in others it's more brown. Now if Troy or someone else would release sights in this color. It would also be great if DD released their upper receiver in this color! (Eric and Jay, are you reading this????)

One item to note. On the original build with the 9.0 Lite, I was using an AAC A2 style flash hider. However, due to the extended length of the MK18 rail, I have to use the standard phantom. The A2 style has more 'setback' which places the wrench flats inside the rail. I suppose I could use a strap wrench on the suppressor or A2 to get the proper torque, but I'm not going to mess with it. I may, however, look into other flash hider options as the phantom just doesn't look quite right.

Tomorrow is also the big day when I finally get to take it to the range. First order of business will be to sight in the Micro. Then I'll play with the M4-1000 and also try to see what sort of POI changes I've got at 50, and perhaps 100 yards.

Giff

JLM
02-29-08, 15:57
Hrm, it has some type of additional anti-rotation gizmo? Interesting.

If I get that MUR upper I was thinking MUR+DD+Noveske barrel, like I told you in my email.

The Daniel Defense RIS II is to be used in conjunction with the MK12 Low Profile Gas Block.

Is that the KAC jobber?

Impact
02-29-08, 19:11
I'd like to get my hands on one of those DD Mk12 gas block :D

GIFFMANN
03-03-08, 08:31
Hrm, it has some type of additional anti-rotation gizmo? Interesting.

If I get that MUR upper I was thinking MUR+DD+Noveske barrel, like I told you in my email.

Is that the KAC jobber?

Yup, the MK18 has anti-rotation tabs that rest on either side of the upper receiver. I believe it was a MIL requirement.

Had a chance to shoot the setup this weekend. Didn't get to play as much as I wanted though, as it took awhile to get it on paper.

Once on paper, I sighted in at 50 yds. POI differences are minor, but I did not have the opportunity to measure. Too many folks on the line to mess with the back and forth, plus time was limited. However, with or without the M4-1000 I was able to hit the gongs at 200 and 300 yards using the Micro. The dot took up most of the gongs at those distances, but hits were consistent. Next time I hit the range I'll try to get some POI differences.

As for the M4-1000, I am VERY pleased. It shoots very nice and the sound suppression is great. Shot it side by side with my buddy's M4-2000 and suppression was quite similar. We really could not tell the difference between the two. Now, I do need to point out, he was running his on a 16" barrel while mine was on a 10.5". Maybe next time we'll try to get some video and run them on the same platform. There are definite differences in the designs, which is obvious by looking at the blast chambers. However, if someone was looking to get into a suppressor but doesn't have a ton of cash, I'd say the M4-1000 is a fantastic bargain and would not hesitate to recommend one.

rob_s
03-03-08, 08:57
Any pics of the MK18 install Giff?

GIFFMANN
03-03-08, 09:21
Any pics of the MK18 install Giff?

No. I didn't take any pics while installing and did not have time to break out the camera at the range. I'll get some pics this week and post them.

I've tried all sorts of rails including Troy, LaRue and almost all of the DD rails. This rail is by far my favorite.

GIFFMANN
03-06-08, 14:38
Some new pics with the MK18 rail:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v424/giffmann/DSCN0126.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v424/giffmann/DSCN0125.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v424/giffmann/DSCN0124.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v424/giffmann/DSCN0123-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v424/giffmann/DSCN0122.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v424/giffmann/DSCN0121-1.jpg

Impact
03-06-08, 14:39
very nice

JLM
03-06-08, 16:37
I'm diggin the color, I see what you mean now.

Eric Rice
03-06-08, 18:26
Looks good, Giff.

Just a note...it looks like you have the 0.875" screws in the bottom holes in the Bolt-Up plate. There are 2x 0.75" screws for the bottom, and 4x 0.875" screws for the upper holes.

markm
03-06-08, 18:32
Interesting.

I was thinking of getting one of those PAK light mounts and running it in the same manner you have there.

Do you thing it'd work well without the VFG? I like to mount my light above the axis of the bore, but I was hesitant to spend that much on a mount and not have it be all that I visioned it.:)

GIFFMANN
03-06-08, 21:52
Interesting.

I was thinking of getting one of those PAK light mounts and running it in the same manner you have there.

Do you thing it'd work well without the VFG? I like to mount my light above the axis of the bore, but I was hesitant to spend that much on a mount and not have it be all that I visioned it.:)

I think it would work very well without the VFG. I have a non-offset VLTOR mount on my other upper and without the VFG, I can reach it, but my thumb falls more naturally above the axis of the rail, right where the DD mount would put it.

Giff

GIFFMANN
03-06-08, 21:53
Looks good, Giff.

Just a note...it looks like you have the 0.875" screws in the bottom holes in the Bolt-Up plate. There are 2x 0.75" screws for the bottom, and 4x 0.875" screws for the upper holes.

Noticed the bottom screws were a bit proud of the rail, but did NOT notice 2 different length screws. That has now been fixed. Thanks!

markm
03-07-08, 08:49
I think it would work very well without the VFG. I have a non-offset VLTOR mount on my other upper and without the VFG, I can reach it, but my thumb falls more naturally above the axis of the rail, right where the DD mount would put it.

Giff

Excellent. I'll put this item on my "to buy" list.

ARin
03-08-08, 11:28

Giff

ive tried offset setups like this at the 11 or 1 oclock positions and felt that they clutter my field of vision.

JLM
03-09-08, 03:14
Giff, what does the whole rig weigh?

The Micro looks like THE setup I must say.

Good stuff bro :cool:

If someone could teach me how to properly pin a gas block, I'd be tempted to do something similar to my 10.5 somewhere down the road. Set screws and locktite don't really blow my skirt up :o

GIFFMANN
03-09-08, 16:08
I'll try to get some weights in the next few days.

The VLTOR gas block already has a "dimple" where you could pin the block. Just takes a drill press, some good measurements and a pin. You could always use some black loktite or something on the pin as well. Other option is something I've seen Denny or ADCO do where you drill deeper for the set screw and actually screw it into the barrel.

The gas bock I'm using is the VLTOR clamp on. Under the rail, I'm not too worried about any impacts or anything.

Giff