PDA

View Full Version : Pack Reel?

Who0ligan
12-25-12, 05:47
Long time lurker, first time poster here. Was wondering what your take was on packing a pack/travel rod in a Survival/SHTF bag. Any good suggestions of a quality one?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Who0ligan
12-25-12, 05:48
Was going to put this in disaster prep but was unsure if that was the proper place to look for suggestions.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Tortuga
12-27-12, 15:13
I consider it too single-use and bulkie. From a strictly survival standpoint material for a trot line* or a good gill net* is more compact, light-weight, multi-use, and efficient.

***Disclaimer: use or even possession of these items is illegal in some areas. That being said, having a gill net vac-sealed in a survival kit is much different than having one loose in your boat or tackle box.***

Who0ligan
12-27-12, 21:43
I consider it too single-use and bulkie. From a strictly survival standpoint material for a trot line* or a good gill net* is more compact, light-weight, multi-use, and efficient.

***Disclaimer: use or even possession of these items is illegal in some areas. That being said, having a gill net vac-sealed in a survival kit is much different than having one loose in your boat or tackle box.***

Thanks for your input, I'll look into a gill net and keep it on the DL :P

photosniper
01-04-13, 18:14
Agree with the above, but damn, I love to fish. Before a trip to northern PA for a multi-day backcountry camping trip this fall I purchased a Diawa Dock Rod combo. The little thing is maybe 24 inches in length overall and darn near indestructible. The little push button reel came preloaded with 6lb test mono and I caught several wild brook trout on that little rod that were over 10 inches. You won't win any casting competitions with it but it will chuck a 1/8oz rooster tail spinner far enough to catch fish. Oh, and I think it cost all of $13

strow
01-04-13, 19:21
A trotline or a half dozen YoYo's would bring in more calories than a single rod/reel.

ryan
01-04-13, 19:36
A roll of Mason's stringline, and a box of the smallest trotline hooks u can find #1s or so, also a box of panfish hooks #6s or #8s.

Use the trotline hooks the stringline as it is for catfish etc. Pull off a single strand for use with the panfish hooks.

A catfish is nice if you can get one, several easy to catch Bluegills would be a lifesaver.

falcon5
01-20-13, 21:08
My area is full of trout streams so I have a 6 ft fly rod and box of flies in my kit. I routinely do pack in trips and never miss a meal with that rod. Not an optimal solution for every locale but works for mine.

lunchbox
01-20-13, 21:20
A trotline or a half dozen YoYo's would bring in more calories and a single rod/reel.YoYo's are the sh!z-n!t. Trot lines are good as well, more durable long term. Don't forget you can tie lines to overhanging tree limbs; pick river cane or even cut a semi straight limb, all can be used as poles. The hook and line (and other) is really the main thing to remember. Poles (leave the joke alone) are all over the place...YoYo's are still the sh!t.

TXBK
01-20-13, 21:37
+1 on the yo-yo's, trotline, and gill net. These items allow you to do other things while you are catching food.

falcon5
01-21-13, 20:53
I'll agree that methods that fish while you can't are superior to my fly rod method for putting calories in you.

lunchbox
01-26-13, 20:54
I'll agree that methods that fish while you can't are superior to my fly rod method for putting calories in you.WHOO now I wouldn't say superior, just advantageous in a survival siuation where you can multi task in your food gathering efforts. Fly fishing, bass fishing, hell even cane fishing; have been feeding families and soothing fried nerves since-- For-ev-ver! (use your squints voice from sandlot) For-ev-ver!

Gramps
01-26-13, 21:30
You could alway's just put some line with a few spinners, bait hooks, a bobber, few lead weights, and depending on your area, rely on finding a stick if you need for a pole. I have gone ice fishing many times, and just tied a line to the tackle box, and used a bobber.

the_master_midget
01-26-13, 22:14
I use a st. croix triumph take down pole med action. I wish I would have gotten the light action instead. I use any med grade $50-75 shimano spinning reel in fresh water. I have fished everything AZ can offer in fall - spring and work in Alaska on a fishing boat late spring to fall. So when I get time off I hit the rivers for salmon or dollys. I have seen every type of fishing gear break so I buy medium quality reels because I have smoked everything and I feel the shimanos hold up well for the cost but any medium grade reel will be of quality. the triumph comes with a roll up case that packs well into a pack but you have to remove the reel. IMO the st croix rod is the best takedown pole being solid core and can handle abuse. 2 years strong on this set up and I can't be more happy.

falcon5
01-28-13, 18:26
WHOO now I wouldn't say superior, just advantageous in a survival siuation where you can multi task in your food gathering efforts. Fly fishing, bass fishing, hell even cane fishing; have been feeding families and soothing fried nerves since-- For-ev-ver! (use your squints voice from sandlot) For-ev-ver!

Superior in the way that I mentioned. For acquiring calories while allowing you to do other things, they beat my flyrod hands down. Now I won't be giving up my rod because of that. The process of fishing my way serves to focus the mind on something else for a brief while which is of value in itself.

In my neck of the woods a survival situation, because of areas I frequent and the nature of the small mountain streams, makes the packable flyrod my optimal solution.

TXBK
01-28-13, 18:57
The process of fishing my way serves to focus the mind on something else for a brief while which is of value in itself.

Yes, the psychological value of fishing with a rod/reel is definately something to consider. One's mind can be as much of a hinderance upon one's survival as hunger, thirst, or lack of shelter. That goes right back around to taking care of more than one need at the same time.

Sooie
02-17-13, 12:14
i agree with others. too bulk and single use.

i did a project for class last semester. trot line/net is really good.

for an extended period of time, creating sharp pointy sticks and placing them angled up in a stream seemed to be effective in theory. unless debris comes downstream and hangs up in it or somthing like that.

also creating a stake fence out of your surrounding and corraling fish into a pocket. just keep making the area smaller and smaller until the fish are accessible.

these are useful in ideal situations.

Jack-O
02-17-13, 13:03
I'm in the unique position of owning a fine little packable fishing setup from two generations.

the Popiel pocket fisherman is actually pretty good gear. My grandfather gave me an old one years ago and I caught MANY pike and other northern fish on it. Still have it to this day after owning it for almost 30 years. It still runs as good as the day I got it too, and I carried it in my day pack up until last year.

I found that they re-released the pocket fisherman for $20 in a local hardware store under the "as seen on tv" section, so I picked up a new one. It seems to be built very well and works exactly like the old one. If anything the plastic is now better quality.

they weigh about 1.5# and are about the size of a 1 liter pop bottle. they cast heavier lures farther of course but a 1/2oz spinner or spoon can be cast about 20-25ft.

Is it a highly efficient survival tool? not really, but it does catch fish and it is fun to use, and more often than not, my trips end up NOT with me needing to survive, but with me coming home on time, all my body parts in order, and it's been more fun messing around fishing at a remote mountain lake than it was that I caught massive quantities of fish for "survival".

Other than that, for sheer size and weight advantage, those yoyo fishing reels are pretty neat deals, and I'll bet that setting up 3-4 of those would keep a guy running around enough keeping them baited and removing fish that he'd still have some good fun AND catch some fish. I just picked up a pack of 12 for $30 on amazon.

lunchbox
03-29-13, 23:10
Just stumbled across this and it made me think of this thread. http://survivalcache.com/survival-gear-review-emmrod-fishing-pole/ I think if I might give it a try, or try and bend one at work. Looks like spring wire with a fishing eye on one end. I kinda like the simplicity of design...