PDA

View Full Version : Talon Grip Tape on Glock

oodalooper
12-25-12, 09:15
Hey all. I see a lot of folks who stiple their handguns. I was looking for a solution to my Department-issued Glock. As anyone who shoots a Glock regularly, especially in inclement weather, the grip can be quite slippery.

When I inherited my pistol, it had some cheap skate board tape on it. It did little to improve the grip. There also was some on the slide but it constantly moved around and came off. I looked at several different options. I looked at the boot-style grips, but I didn't like the increase in circumference.

Recently I came across Talon Grips. They offer their product in both a sandpaper finish and also rubber. Yesterday it came in the mail, as well as some new gear from Original Special Operations Equipment, courtesy of John Willis, but that's another review to come later.

The grip tape came pre-cut and wraps all the way around the pistol, including the finger grooves. It installed easily enough, although I had a few minor wrinkles. I was able to re-wrap it without it turning into a sticky mess. After it was installed, the directions say to warm it up with a hair dryer or heat gun several times and grip it so it molds to your hand and the gun.

I wasn't expecting much by it. I sometimes fall prey to the "if its not expensive, it must not be good." Well folks, especially anyone who's pistol is there lifeline, this is a FANTASTIC product. I told my wife that this was the best $15.00 I have ever spent. After it was on, and I gripped it, it almost felt velcro'd to my hand. Like if I tried to throw the pistol it wouldn't go anywhere. Okay okay...slight exaggeration, but its a good illustration.

For any skeptics, I am not affiliated with any company and my only knowledge of Talon is that I ran across it on a forum and hence researched the web-site. This is my first review on this forum, however. Take my opinion for what it is.

Okay so here is the only down side. Its winter, so I don't have my forearms exposed. We are required to wear long sleeve shirts. The only problem I foresee is in the summer when we switch to short sleeves the sand paper may occasionally rub against my exposed arm. The directions actually address that issue, and say to take a separate piece of sandpaper and slightly sand the grip. That seems like a bit of a waste to me as the whole reason you put the sandpaper grip on the gun is for the rough texture.

I carry a S&W Bodyguard .380 as my BUG. I ordered the rubber texture for it. I carry IWB in a Sticky holster and it would be too abrasive on my exposed skin.

Here is the link...

http://talongungrips.com/Talon-Gun-Grip-Reviews-Reviews.htm

We shall see how well this holds up to the rigors of being carried around daily.

PS: I don't know how to place my pictures into this thread.

oodalooper
12-25-12, 09:22
Here are the pictures.

awm14hp
12-25-12, 15:06
I just use scotch floor step tape from Home Depot or bike tire sections

SeriousStudent
12-25-12, 15:19

or bike tire sections

This has worked for me. Six Glocks later, I am still using sections cut off the same old mountain bike inner tube.

JSGlock34
12-25-12, 15:28
I've been using the same sheet of skateboard tape for years on my Glock grips. And I've cut more than a few grips for my friends.

A well used bicycle tube also resides in my parts bin; it also has donated a number of sections to enhance slippery grips.

oodalooper
12-25-12, 18:31
I like that there are so many different opinions and ways of accomplishing the same thing...thanks for sharing.

clarkz71
12-25-12, 19:45
Here's the pics, Hicock45 uses them on all his guns, check him out on youtube.

I like using a product designed for this specific use, a very popular brand, good pick.

https://www.m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=14637&d=1356448933

https://www.m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=14638&d=1356448937

oodalooper
12-25-12, 20:05
okay I'm new to forums. How the Hell do you put the pictures in the thread???

rundm
12-25-12, 20:16
tiny pic, browse, choose your pic, load it up and post it on the page. submit and done

dash1
12-25-12, 20:22
I use TruGrip Wraparound Grips on my Glock, it's really good stuff and it covers practically all of the grip not just the lower half.

thehun
12-25-12, 20:38
I use tractiongrip rubber texture..and it works really well...cheap too

Hot Sauce
12-26-12, 19:47
Thanks for this review, I was recently thinking of improving grip on a slick polymer gun with 3M griptape from Home Depot, but now I think I'm going to go ahead and try these purpose built grips first.

ericridebike
12-26-12, 20:58
I put the rubberized version of the Talon Grip on a Kel-Tec PF-9 & I really am pleased with it. When carrying IWB, the stock grip texture was pretty abrasive against the skin. The rubberized tape solved that issue and also enhanced the grip characteristics. Well worth the cost in my opinion & if I get tired of it, I can just peel it off.

mvician
12-26-12, 22:19
TruGrip http://www.ericwesselman.com/

I had the Talon, didn't like the backstrap coverage. It shifted around too much. The Talon covers the whole thing.

skatz11
12-27-12, 17:54
I'm a big true grip fan. Been using them for a few years now. Could have probably paid for a good stipple job by now...

no2sc2
12-27-12, 18:41
I never like the look of this. Is it rough?

darr3239
12-27-12, 18:52
I have likewise used the Trugrips for years, and highly recommend them. They have hit the sweet spot for roughness of texture. Plenty to grip your hand, but not so rough as to wear a hole in the side of your shirt. It matters when carrying for extended periods of time.

oodalooper
12-28-12, 05:15
The texture is great so far. But I absolutely would not recommend it for concealed carry. I'll let you all know how I like the rubber texture for concealed.

crazymailman
12-28-12, 05:42
I think you will like the rubber texture. I've had it on a PM9 for about a year and really like the way it works for me.