PDA

View Full Version : Should I pull my HK45 from the market?

Swstock
12-25-12, 15:27
I was going to sell my hk45 but now that things are changing idk what to do. I have a hkp30l and was considering getting another 9mm. Im stuck at 10 max rounds since im in NY.

Do you guys think this assault on guns will affect or is affecting handguns also? I think Im having a change of heart about getting rid if it. IDK what to do.

Cagemonkey
12-25-12, 15:45
If a new AWB occurs, any self loading, detachable magazine fed weapon will be effected. Since you have a great pistol, I'd stand fast unless you could acquire something better, which in todays hysteria is most likely doubtful.

brushy bill
12-25-12, 16:00
Concur with Cage Monkey. Check fire and stand fast. Too much uncertainity right now and prices are ridiculous. Hold what you got.

Swstock
12-25-12, 17:49
If a new AWB occurs, any self loading, detachable magazine fed weapon will be effected. Since you have a great pistol, I'd stand fast unless you could acquire something better, which in todays hysteria is most likely doubtful.

Thanks. That's what I was thinking. I couldn't imagine this all happening when I first decided to sell.

elnino31
12-25-12, 19:23
I do believe that any future ban will involve ant mag above 10rds. However, i wouldn't let fear affect what sidearm choose to own and operate.

If you want something else, get it. Life is too short to be dicking around with anything that your heart is not into. There are many reasons ppl go with a 9mm over 45 outside of mag capacity, but that's a whole different discussion.

Bottom line, the hk 45 is an excellent sidearm but so is the p2000 in 9mm.
I wouldn't object to having both

zibby43
12-26-12, 00:25
I'd keep it man. I sold my HK45C and I regret that decision dearly. I have been trying to pick up another lately with no success.

HKUSP.40
12-26-12, 00:50
Keep it!

TacMedic556
12-26-12, 01:27
In light of current politics; what HK45?

As in you don't even have one, we were never here, we didn't hear anything......

Swstock
12-26-12, 07:53
In light of current politics; what HK45?

As in you don't even have one, we were never here, we didn't hear anything......

Im gonna go to a lgs store today to see if there is anything else that I would consider. I originally wanted to be down a hand gun and up a rifle, but now im up that rifle and the political climate is making me think twice about selling anything.

If not, its a keeper. :)

As far as the "what hk45", its listed on my pistol license so there is no hiding it.

M4arc
12-26-12, 08:28
Keep it. Now is the time to collect more not get rid of them.

cbr
12-26-12, 08:33
I always regret it later when I sell a gun. HK makes an awesome gun, I would hang on to it.

djmorris
12-26-12, 09:29
I would hang onto it. The HK mags that have a 10+ round capacity are going to be near priceless in a couple of months... plus it's an HK. You can't really "upgrade" once you have an HK.

MoCop
12-26-12, 11:23
Keep it!

Kenneth
12-26-12, 11:57
I agree with keep it. I to once HAD and HK45 and I enjoyed it very much :)

Bulletdog
12-26-12, 12:28
I'm a bit of a pack rat, I think. Once I get a gun in my hands, I keep it. Especially a nice piece like that. My preferences and experience level has changed over the years. Many times I have moved away from one gun or caliber, only to come back to it years later.

I vote to keep what you've got.

R0CKETMAN
12-26-12, 17:54
Shouldn't impact you, but I'd keep it anyway.

AirRaceFan
12-26-12, 18:45
Unless you need the money for something else or actually dislike the gun, keep it.
I've made the mistake of getting rid of too many firearms.

Rohardi
12-26-12, 21:43
Just sold my HK45. Loved it, but with the cost of 45 ammo going up and up and up, I just felt as if it wasn't the best choice for the amount of sooting I like to do. I was able to sell the HK45 and get 2 brand new Glocks in 9mm (Glock 34 and Glock 19. Both Gen 4) One for classes/HD and the other for CCW. The 19 has 15 round mags and the 34 has 17 round mags. I bought a few extra mags for each before the frenzy at $25 per mag. For a 10 round HK45 mag you'r going to pay upwards of $50-$60. I'm not saying sell it, I'm not saying keep it, but that's what I just did with my HK45 2 weeks ago. It really is a great gun! Good luck with your decision!!!

crusader377
12-26-12, 21:59
Although I have very limited experience with the HK 45, I would keep it unless you desparately need the money. It is definitely one of the best .45 handguns on the market and I for one am always very hesitant in parting with a good handgun.

gunnut284
12-27-12, 04:49
If you want something different go ahead and sell it. Any speculation about an "assault weapons" or magazine ban is just that - speculation. The HK45 10rd mags are probably less likely to be effected by a ban but who knows.

Swstock
12-28-12, 12:56
I made a decision and took action.

I decided that I didnt want to be down a handgun so I wouldnt sell without buying first.

I also decided that a 10 round 45 doesnt need to be the size of an hk45 so I wanted to find something as small as possible with a 10 round capacity.

Although XDms are hated here, I chose a NY compliant Xdm 45 compact 3.8. I like how small and comfortable it is, I like the weight distribution/ I dont care about having the rear safety. My hand needs to be there to fire it anyway.

So now, I have the HK p30l and Springfield XDm .45 compact 3.8.

Watrdawg
12-28-12, 13:12
Shame shame. Definite downgrade. Could have bought a HK45C and then sold your full size and at least had the same quality pistol.

Swstock
12-28-12, 14:32
Shame shame. Definite downgrade. Could have bought a HK45C and then sold your full size and at least had the same quality pistol.

Agreed but the one I found only had 8 round capacity. Plus the extra cash in pocket feels good.

Watrdawg
12-28-12, 14:33
You can use both the 8rd and 10rd mags in the Compact.

darknight
12-28-12, 17:24
I has a HK45c and dumped it. It did nothing for me... I realized I'm not a fan of hammer fired pistols. Also the low mag capacity and especially the OUTRAGEOUS prices for HK mags was the deal breaker. I bought it on impulse. But no HKs for me.

aguila327
12-30-12, 06:24
In the end it all about you. Buy or sell whatever you want. Last I heard nobody on this forum is paying your bills LOL. I have a cabinet of handguns I havent shot in a few years and am putting them out there myself. I need a new Aimpoint.

Swstock
12-30-12, 07:18
In the end it all about you. Buy or sell whatever you want. Last I heard nobody on this forum is paying your bills LOL. I have a cabinet of handguns I havent shot in a few years and am putting them out there myself. I need a new Aimpoint.

Yea I could use an aimpoint pro myself. :)

Ill actually say that im really happy with my purchase so far.

Hunter Rose
12-30-12, 18:52
Huh? You sold argueably the most accurate/durable/reliable .45 pistol on the market to get a Croatian HS2000 errr I mean Springfield XdM?

Words fail me...

PhilM
12-30-12, 19:01
Huh? You sold argueably the most accurate/durable/reliable .45 pistol on the market to get a Croatian HS2000 errr I mean Springfield XdM?

Words fail me...
No joke. To each his own, but personally I don't get it.

Cagemonkey
12-30-12, 19:22
I made a decision and took action.

I decided that I didnt want to be down a handgun so I wouldnt sell without buying first.

I also decided that a 10 round 45 doesnt need to be the size of an hk45 so I wanted to find something as small as possible with a 10 round capacity.

Although XDms are hated here, I chose a NY compliant Xdm 45 compact 3.8. I like how small and comfortable it is, I like the weight distribution/ I dont care about having the rear safety. My hand needs to be there to fire it anyway.

So now, I have the HK p30l and Springfield XDm .45 compact 3.8.Very disappointing.

Hunter Rose
12-30-12, 20:26
I'm reminded of the scene at the end of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade after the bad guy chooses the wrong grail:

"He chose...poorly."

Hopefully the P30 has now become your go to pistol.

10-76
12-30-12, 20:52
Keep the HK and buy ammo to feed it, grab some training.

Pilot1
12-30-12, 21:41
I'm not a huge polymer fan, but have HK USP Tac .45. It is one of the better shooting .45's I own including some 1911's which I prefer, but that HK can make anyone look good. It is that accurate, and soft shooting.

I don't have much experience with the XD, but they seem to be popular.

Swstock
12-31-12, 01:14
Yup. Imo the hk45 was physically larger than I liked it to be.

Im still an hk owner though.

10-76
12-31-12, 07:55
Oops, did not realize you'd made the switch, to an XD? Wow.:confused:

Swstock
12-31-12, 12:38
Oops, did not realize you'd made the switch, to an XD? Wow.:confused:

Switch? I still have an HK.

10-76
12-31-12, 13:11
Switch? I still have an HK.

Yeah, you sold an HK45 to get an XD, correct?

I cannot get on board with too many pistols from Croatia, over quality German/Austrian/US products-my thing.

Swstock
12-31-12, 15:32
Sell HK and get SW M&P?

Keep HK & SD and get S&w M&P?

Im looking for a 3rd now. I think a compact or sub compact 9mm.

gtmtnbiker98
12-31-12, 17:20

Words fail me...
No shit.

SteveS
01-02-13, 10:51
Sell it and donate the the money NRA and other 2nd amendment groups.

Swstock
01-02-13, 15:37
Got a Glock 26 today.

:)

Still, one of the biggest advantages that I think full size hand guns have is capacity. In NY were limited to only 10 rounds.

Hunter Rose
01-02-13, 22:47
Shootability and ease of handling tend to be better with full size guns as well.

It's not all about capacity.

Swstock
01-03-13, 08:05
Shootability and ease of handling tend to be better with full size guns as well.

It's not all about capacity.

Right but I shoot my glock 26 better than my p30l. I may make a complete shift to glock.

JonInWA
01-04-13, 08:39
I see that many are perturbed by the original poster's decision to trade a HK45 for an XD, seeing that as a huge degradation. While I've stayed away from XDs personally, I have read enough on on their issues to realize seveal things-First, apparently many of their issues can be resolved/precluded by simply replacing a hollow roll pin with a higher quality solid one, and Second, that there are many shooters that do shoot them and are satisfied with them-I've seen that at my local level, by shooters that do shoot extensively and are quite knowledgeable and skilled. And we should also keep in mind that despite the intrinsic quality of the HK45's components and their "bombproofability", even Larry Vickers (and others) have been somewhat critical of HK's decision to modify their grips and triggers/triggerguards-the HK45C is much closer to his and Hackathorn's original recommendations, and can induce some after-market work-arounds for shooters as well, on an already expensive gun.

I've personally experienced very high quality pistols that I simply don't index well with. At that point, no matter how high the quality and reputation of the gun, if there's a better alternative for me, I'd probably be foolish (and condemning myself to beating my head against the wall in frustration) if I remained with the original pistol.

I realize that XDs simply have not done particularly well in LEO testing, or, as has been discussed, in the field in more than one instance. But that doesn't mean that they are a bad choice for the original poster-and, like has been extensively discussed recently concerning M&Ps, late Gen 3 and Gen4 9mm Glocks, there are some viable work-arounds that can be introduced to an XD to make it more reliable/less failure susceptable.

Best, Jon

Hunter Rose
01-04-13, 11:56
Jon,

I don't think anyone's "perturbed" at the OP. I know I'm not. I'm sure they work great for plenty of people, and if that's the situation with the OP then rock on.

But he asked for other's opinions on how he did and he got them. Since most see going from an HK45 to an XDM as a significant step down, that's why he got a lot of "head scratching" type of responses. Had he gone to a Glock or Smith and Wesson MP I think more people's responses would have been along the lines of "all good guns whatever you shoot better." That would have been my response.

I guess I just have a long memory and remember when the HS2000/XD came out and they were being sold for $200. Two years later Springfield Armory has the Croation company roll-mark their logo on it and it's suddenly a $500 gun. I don't buy it.

Swstock
01-04-13, 12:18
Jon,

I don't think anyone's "perturbed" at the OP. I know I'm not. I'm sure they work great for plenty of people, and if that's the situation with the OP then rock on.

But he asked for other's opinions on how he did and he got them. Since most see going from an HK45 to an XDM as a significant step down, that's why he got a lot of "head scratching" type of responses. Had he gone to a Glock or Smith and Wesson MP I think more people's responses would have been along the lines of "all good guns whatever you shoot better." That would have been my response.

I bought a glock also. :)

After I try a glock 30 and 19, I may sell my p30l and xdm to get them.

Hunter Rose
01-04-13, 17:08
I bought a glock also. :)

Glocks are crappy guns. Should have stuck with the HK...:jester:

Insta-Gator
01-04-13, 17:19
Decided to keep my HK USP 40 and today bought a G27 w Blackhawk holster for every day carry. Much more comfortable.

It's auto-correct via Tapatalk 2, figure it out. :D

Swstock
01-13-13, 12:51
Final update.

I love my new G30sf. Its a keeper. No regrets here.

kantstudien
01-13-13, 14:38
Wait... there was seriously talk about swapping the HK45 for an XD? Was that a joke? :confused:

jstalford
01-13-13, 15:58
Nice. I have been eying the 30SF as well. LGS has one for $549.

Swstock
01-13-13, 16:09
Wait... there was seriously talk about swapping the HK45 for an XD? Was that a joke? :confused:

No. I was selling the hk45 anyway. I then decided that I didnt want to be -1 handgun. The xdm fit the criteria of small/10 round max handgun.

Nice. I have been eying the 30SF as well. LGS has one for $549.

Get it!

ffhounddog
01-13-13, 18:24
I have three P30's and could never get rid of one of them. I have had the Same HK USPc 40 traded, sold, and now it is back to me after going to 4 different people and I have traded it 3 times before the four different people. Ironey is the last time I had to pull a gun in anger I was carrying the USPc and that was 6 days after getting it back. I was comming from the range and shot it for the first time in 7 months.