PDA

View Full Version : Sell customized Hi-Power?

acaixguard
12-25-12, 20:18
I'm kind of torn as to whether I should sell my Hi-Power. It has been customized by a VERY known smith who is no longer taking in new work. It's got a simple elegance that's beautiful to look at; however, I never shoot it anymore. To me, the Hi-Power's time has passed, and that (or my S&W 686) are the last guns in my safe I would use in a SHTF situation. I just feel there are far better designed and robust tools today. (I've decided to keep the 686 cause I still would take it to the range once in a while to shoot some magnum rounds for fun, and it could be a good range gun for my daughters to use with .38 loads when they are a bit older.)
Anyhow, with the money I could potentially sell the Hi-Power for, I can get other firearms that I would actually find useful, along with practical accessories to go with it. I could be looking at another modern 9mm set up how I like (sights, light, and laser), and another rifle. Or several pistols that I really like. Possibly even with some extra cash left over for ammo/training.
I'm honestly past the point of caring about having a collector's gun. I'd much rather have tools that I use at least on a somewhat regular basis. Lots of people talk about seller's remorse, but over the years, I've sold many guns I no longer have a need for, and I've not regretted it once.
Is there any compelling reason that I should keep the Hi-Power? The only reason I would regret it is if they one day went extinct, and that, along with the name of the gunsmith, causes the value of it to really skyrocket even more.
Thanks in advance!

samuse
12-25-12, 20:22
Hell, Hi Powers are good usin' guns.

I shot and carried 'em for a long time, still not sure why I quit 'em.

Send me some pics, I might be interested in it...

mkmckinley
12-25-12, 21:02
If you truly value it then keep it, if not sell it to someone who will and buy what you need. I went through a couple similar decisions when I went from a gun collector to a shooter a few years ago. I had to prioritize what I wanted to keep, what I needed to acquire, and what I could sell toward the first two.

This is what I came up with based on my needs. Im not saying anyone should do the same thing but maybe it will help you decide what to do. The top priority is to have the necessities covered. For me that's a couple ARs and Glocks set up for defensive use (primary and backup for each plus one of each for the wife). "Set up for defensive use" includes optics, lights, mags, load carrying kit, spare parts, and ammo. The second priority was a .308 bolt gun and a precision AR for hunting. Third was a Glock set up for competition. Fourth was to have a few common weapons that I could practice with and maintain proficiency outside my primary ARs and Glocks. This included a Remington 870, a Beretta 92FS, a SIG P228, a S&W 642, and a Kalashnikov. Last priority from a practical standpoint were the sort of "cool gun but I have no use for it" category.

I already had the ARs covered but I had to reconfigure three of them into basically identical defensive carbines. I consolidated calibers for my defensive pistols into 9mm for urban and bought a Glock 20 10mm for camping. I also got a nice progressive reloading setup to feed all these beasts and allow me to concentrate on training and not ammo costs. I bought a bolt gun and configured another AR for longer range use and bought a 4-16 power optic for it. A bunch of my guns fell under the third "maintain proficiency" category. I sold most of them but kept the ones mentioned above. Under the "cool gun" category were a few firearms I really didn't want to get rid of such as an M-1 Garand that stays in the family.

I was able to sell a bunch of random guns I didn't really need or overly value and fund all the other purchases with cash left over for ammo and whatnot. For instance I had a Colt Python which was a really nice gun that I never shot. I also had three 1911s that was two too many for me. I'm really glad I did so. I'm a much better shooter, more secure, and I have less money tied up is shit I don't need. If your Hi Power falls into the latter category I'd say sell it and buy something you'd actually use.

Guinnessman
12-26-12, 07:45
My Dad sold a beautiful Belgian High Power before I could have dibs on it! It was a sweet shooter and very reliable. He sold it after he gave my brother and I some other handguns.

Moral of the story, keep it!

El Pistolero
12-26-12, 08:53
Keep the Hi-Power.

Fringe
12-26-12, 09:06
I would keep it.

If you would like to sell, I would be interested in looking at it.

Vic303
12-26-12, 09:15
Keep the BHP! If for no other reason, than your daughters may appreciate inheriting it!

Rosco Benson
12-26-12, 09:55
I would suggest keeping it. If you sell it and buy other firearms right now, you'll be buying them at the current "panic" prices. If you need something else right now, better to just pay with our increasingly worthless currency rather than an irreplaceable pistol.

From your description, I'm going to guess that Richard Heinie is the 'smith. If so, bear in mind that he didn't do very many P-35's, so that adds even more to its appeal.

Rosco

DAT85
12-26-12, 10:44
Keep it....
Remember,if it holds more than 10 rds,by the d-bag politicians definition,it's an "evil gun".

Which means it will be worth a whole lot more if a ban is enacted.

Just my .02

DAT85

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-26-12, 10:56
Its just stuff. Sell it.

brickboy240
12-26-12, 10:59
I'd hold off on selling it.

If we get a 10rd mag limit....your HP and all its 13rd mags will be worth MUCH more than it is right now.

-brickboy240

Omega Man
12-26-12, 12:39
I would sell it if i needed funds to buy a more practical use firearm. I sold my Ed Brown special forces Commander, since i wanted something lighter and also in 9mm.

beep
12-26-12, 15:45
I just recently sold my .40 cal Hi Power after much soul searching. I came to the realization that I just don't shoot it enough or want to stock .40 cal ammo. I have a 9mm Hi Power that I shoot the snot out of and enjoy the hell out of shooting it. I've been wanting to get a new rifle and in the end I'm happy I sold it. If you dont need it then sell it to free up funds for something else you have been wanting.

Mickey
12-26-12, 15:55
The way I now look at selling guns is, if its rare keep it, if it is common sell it.
If I was to sell a Glock 22 its no big deal as I can always find another. But I still kick myself for selling a S&W model 25 mountain gun. Even though I didn't shoot the S&W very often.

DocH
12-26-12, 16:07
I wouldn't sell it for anything else.If you've got enough magazines,stock up on 147gr.HST's and USE IT. I'd rather have a nice customed GP than 5 Glocks.But I'm old and don't know anything.

militarymoron
12-26-12, 16:53
why not just shoot it and enjoy it? do you have any worries about its reliability or durability? if so, what are they?
IMHO, there's nothing too different between the operation of a BHP and a 1911, and many consider the 1911 still viable.
but, i do understand your point of view, and if you can find someone who appreciates a good custom BHP and they're happy, and you're happy with whatever you buy from the sale, then all's well.

crusader377
12-26-12, 22:13
I would keep it. The Browning Hi Power although somewhat dated is still a very good pistol and it is a very proven design. Yes the BHP may not have the extreme durability of a modern HK using +p rounds, it is still a very reliable pistol if you take care of it and perform very basic maintenance. Furthermore they are great shooters and normally very accurate.

I would also argue that with the strong QC of the BHP particularly the Mark III guns that there are very few pistols that would run better than a BHP out of the box especially in the light recent QC problems with other mfgs. ie SIG, Gen 4 Glocks, etc...

samuse
12-27-12, 09:45
I would also argue that with the strong QC of the BHP particularly the Mark III guns that there are very few pistols that would run better than a BHP out of the box especially in the light recent QC problems with other mfgs. ie SIG, Gen 4 Glocks, etc...

This. In my experience, Hi Powers and Beretta 92s are the absolute most reliable handguns out of the box period.

They just work.

Pilot1
12-27-12, 12:43
For many the Hi Power is still relevant as a home defense, carry, and range pistol, as it is for me. My MKIII BHP is my most accurate centerfire handgun. It is slim, well sized for the 9MM cartridge, and carries easily with the right holster. Mec Gar mags give it 15 + 1 capacity which for me is plenty for a pistol.

However, if you do not value it as a tool you want to use or appreciate, sell it to someone who does.

Moltke
12-27-12, 12:54
If you don't use it and you want the money, sell it.

beschatten
12-27-12, 14:15
Why not keep it and shoot it here and there? Surely you must find some joy in shooting a finely tuned BHP...