PDA

View Full Version : Glock Grip question

Jaysop
12-26-12, 20:29
So I apologize if this has been covered before, I cant find it.

So I currently have a Gen3 19 that acts up a bit. I don't fully trust it yet so I don't want to void the warranty by modifying it. The grip is slightly to big and I dislike the finger grooves.

I read that the Gen4 has a slightly slimmer grip profile as well as more aggressive texture. I appreciate that due to how slick the Gen 3 feels at times. I got a hold of a Gen4 at my LGS and it felt pretty good except it felt like it wasn't as solid as the Gen3, maybe more loose and cheaper... Its hard to explain. The finger grooves weren't as noticeable on the Gen4.

Its nearly imposable to get one next to the other with how the shops are lately. I called around and cant find another Gen4 19 to compare to my Gen3.

So what im asking is, ejection issues aside. Would it be beneficial to be to replace the Gen3 with a Gen4 for the sake of not having to modify the grip, void the warranty just to make it fit my hand better?
Also has anyone else noticed the distinct different in balance and sense of how solid the Gen4 is in comparison to the Gen3?

ST911
12-26-12, 20:50
Also has anyone else noticed the distinct different in balance and sense of how solid the Gen4 is in comparison to the Gen3?

Yes, and I have been struggling with a way to describe it.

I've been shooting a new gen4 G19 with great dedication, 1500+ rounds since 12/10. I have noticed several subtle differences between it and gen3 G19s and G23s affecting my grip, presentation from holster, press-out, trigger press, and contact with controls. More to follow on this at some point, but the gun is...different...for me. In a good way.

I don't perceive a material, construction, or "solid"/less solid feel otherwise.

If the gen4 is making sense to you, get one. I'm extremely happy with my switch.

Jaysop
12-26-12, 21:09
Yes, and I have been struggling with a way to describe it.

I've been shooting a new gen4 G19 with great dedication, 1500+ rounds since 12/10. I have noticed several subtle differences between it and gen3 G19s and G23s affecting my grip, presentation from holster, press-out, trigger press, and contact with controls. More to follow on this at some point, but the gun is...different...for me. In a good way.

I don't perceive a material, construction, or "solid"/less solid feel otherwise.

If the gen4 is making sense to you, get one. I'm extremely happy with my switch.

Ok so at least im not the only who feels that difference. Maybe the slightly different ergos really change the feel of the entire gun. How did you feel about the mag release? Did you like it out of the box or did you become accustomed to it?
Do you still fall back to the Gen3s or have to made a full transition?

I'm not gona lie, the Gen3 feels solid like a hammer, the Gen4 didn't give me that confidence initially.
Im probably going to take the plunge.

ST911
12-26-12, 21:40
Ok so at least im not the only who feels that difference. Maybe the slightly different ergos really change the feel of the entire gun. How did you feel about the mag release? Did you like it out of the box or did you become accustomed to it?

I like it. I have large hands and long thumbs, so I've never had an issue with any version of the OEM release.

Do you still fall back to the Gen3s or have to made a full transition?

Full transition in working guns. I have spares that are gen2 and gen3s. Gen4 spares will be coming on line in the next month or two.

I'm not gona lie, the Gen3 feels solid like a hammer, the Gen4 didn't give me that confidence initially.
Im probably going to take the plunge.

I'm not sure what you're describing here, but perceptual stuff is often tough. Case in point.

R0CKETMAN
12-27-12, 05:40
"Extraction issues aside"...yes makes perfect sense to go G4. Certainly feels better in hand. I suppose the recoil is a bit softer, but I can't really tell the difference.

It's also been said that the gen4 extraction issues are more easily rectified in the gen4s vs late gen3s

Also, you'll get an extra high cap mag with a new g4

MFWIC2
12-28-12, 10:47
Not meaning to hijack the thread. But what are the advantages of the Grip Force Adpator? Do any of you use them?
Thanks

CaptainN8
12-28-12, 10:51
I love grip force adaptor have one on my g23 and g19. I have found that while I have smallish hands the consistency of grip and my trigger finger placement with the gfa is much easier and has led to better groups for me ~ one ragged hole at 10 yards and in right down the middle.

SpeedRacer
12-28-12, 10:53
For me, grip reduction and stippling is a requirement on the gen 3 pistols. On my gen 4 pistols I haven't felt the need to do anything, they are perfect out of the box with no backstrap installed. The magazine release is also a drastic improvement.

That said, I still carry my older gen 3 as it has proven itself reliable for over 5k rounds. I'm hoping to transition to the gen 4, and even though they have proven reliable so far I want to put some more rounds through them before trusting my life to them. Since you have a new production gen 3, you're in the same boat either way as they are both post design changes and capable of having the same issues.

ST911
12-28-12, 12:04
The magazine release is also a drastic improvement.

Tell me more about that.

SpeedRacer
12-28-12, 12:11
Tell me more about that.

For me, on the gen 3 pistols I can't drop the mag without completely breaking my firing grip. Scalloping the area around the mag release helps, but the design of the gen 4 release is just much better and brings it further back into the grip.

Jaysop
12-28-12, 12:32
For me, on the gen 3 pistols I can't drop the mag without completely breaking my firing grip. Scalloping the area around the mag release helps, but the design of the gen 4 release is just much better and brings it further back into the grip.

I've been using the extended mag relase on the gen 3 which is much better but not perfect. I'd like to know how much an extended mag relase on the gen4 would improve the function.

Is the 23 different from the 19 in any kind of size differences?

tpdavis89
12-28-12, 13:13
I've been using the extended mag relase on the gen 3 which is much better but not perfect. I'd like to know how much an extended mag relase on the gen4 would improve the function.

Is the 23 different from the 19 in any kind of size differences?

Externally no. Same size frame and slide. Just different guts.

Guns-up.50
12-28-12, 13:37
Go with a gen 3 RTf2 finger groves are not as pronounced, grip texture is great, unfortunately they are hard to come by. I handled a gen 4 17 with a 360 stipple and finger groove removal and it felt quite nice almost reduced. I did not care for the mag release even though it is a Vickers. yes is travels further back but it not as pronounced and harder to push with out the leverage( but im a lefty). Several people I know and trust run gen4s and their reviews have been good, but they are not selling their gen 3s yet. I still prefer the gen 3 but I plan to get a gen4 this new year and will put it through the ringer to see for myself. Keep your gen three and get a gen 4 you can never have too many glocks and then make your pick.