PDA

View Full Version : stupid question

skipperbrown
02-24-08, 20:57
I just bought my first ar15, a s&w 15T. I'm trying to put the plastic rail covers on and I can't snap them on. What is the trick to getting the covers on?

Thanks!

TBomb
02-24-08, 21:37
I just bought my first ar15, a s&w 15T. I'm trying to put the plastic rail covers on and I can't snap them on. What is the trick to getting the covers on?

Thanks!

First, you have to make sure that the part on the cover that is designed to fit into the rail slot is lined up properly (the parts that would prevent the cover from sliding fore/aft). Second, I've found it easiest if you start with one corner and then get the other corner on, then work your way down the cover in this manner, alternating from one side to the other until you reach the opposite end of the cover. Anyway, you should be able to get them on with a little patience. Good luck! :D

ETA: Welcome to the forums!

Combat_Diver
02-25-08, 07:44
Not sure which rail covers Smith and Wesson uses but some slide on, others rock on (hook one edge on rail and roll other edge on), and some softer ones try pressing the center in and rolling the edges over the rails. Hope this helps.

CD

Robb Jensen
02-25-08, 07:57
Heating them with a hair dryer helps as well as pulling/stretching on the hooks of the covers (that grap be rail on top and bottom of the rails).

Shihan
02-25-08, 13:09
Dont feel bad aboyut the covers I was at the range a few weeks back and a Bozo wearing all kinds of Army Special Forces gear couldnt get his covers on his new M&PT. He asked for help and I had to ask you wearing tyour brothers gear? His response was he was a SF "Operator". I also had to help him sight in his rifle as he didnt know how to do it. :o

AMMOTECH
02-25-08, 21:33
His response was he was a SF "Operator".

;) Of course. But you know the mil issue M4 is different then an AR15 and that is why he was having problems.....

Safetyhit
02-26-08, 10:04
Dont feel bad aboyut the covers I was at the range a few weeks back and a Bozo wearing all kinds of Army Special Forces gear couldnt get his covers on his new M&PT. He asked for help and I had to ask you wearing tyour brothers gear? His response was he was a SF "Operator". I also had to help him sight in his rifle as he didnt know how to do it. :o

What a champ. :rolleyes: I simply can't stand people like that.

I posted here some time ago about my neighbor, the supposed SF sniper who had extensive ops experience in central America. He has been "out of the service" since 1987, but came here one day last year nearly in tears stating that his unit had been recalled to Afghanistan and he had to ship out in two weeks. I suspected his typical bullshit, so since my safe was already open I light-heartedly stated that "well, time to get used to one of these again"and handed him one of my M4 profile AR's. He looked shocked and was clueless as to what to do with it (amazingly). He said his lack of familiarity was due to his using a Barrett .50 exclusively. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

He never shipped out, but I knew that he was way past his recall date anyway. Idiot. :mad:

By the way, you need to heat/soften tight covers a bit as stated. Sorry to have strayed off topic a little.

Shihan
02-26-08, 13:51
Its amazing the idiots you meet at the range. I asked to see his mil idea and he is a E5 in the NG. I got his unit info and chewed him a new asshole for
mis-rep-ing himself. Its bad enough having someone spit up a bunch of garbage but when the guy is serving in some type its really bad.